Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #1

Ok to plug in additional solar panels here ?

Hello,
Saw this port on the front of the frame. Nothing in the manual. Is this a port for a solar panel ? Seems to be a SAE connector. Are these wired to the controller so I only need a portable solar panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CFA5A48-644E-46B8-B516-162D88617040.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	276362  
canadian.bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

Take a dc meter and check to see if you have battery voltage at the connector. If you do you need a solar charge controller. The SAE connector on mine is wired direct to the battery. I received this SCC for free when I ordered some panels from HQST and used doubled side tape to attach to the back of the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220712_214020.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	276363  
mysery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #3

cool, thanks for the reply, I will take a peak tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
cool, thanks for the reply, I will take a peak tomorrow.
I have read the ZAMP connector is reverse polarity so be careful.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I have read the ZAMP connector is reverse polarity so be careful.
Another great reason to check it with a meter.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #6

Bacon,
There should be a Solar-on-the-side mention in the materials from Go Power. They're not part of any official manual, but is in the collection of reference materials and instruction manuals that should come with a new trailer.

It's a port that's /directly/ wired to the battery/ies, with no charge controller in between. You'll need portable solar panel(s) with built-in controller(s). This is fairly standard. If your 1940LTD has the optional 12v-only fridge (it comes with 100w solar panel and charge controller), the Solar-on-the-Side package is INDEPENDENT of that system.

More here: https://gpelectric.com/solar-side/, including some reccos/opptys to id and spec a plug-and-play solar-on-the-side system that works for you.

Hope this helps!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #7

thanks for all the info, all correct.
indeed, port connected to the battery, checked with a meter.

@Rhumblefish - thanks for the info, great !
I have a portable 100w golabs solar panel, debating if I should just get a controller for the panel or get another panel and install it on top of the trailer, right beside the factory one.
The factory one will allow me to park in the shade and still charge the battery, while the roof one will be hassle free....
Old 07-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

@rhumblefish I noticed the controller is PWM (cheaper, of course)
I was planning on getting an mppt controller for my portable solar panels. Will it be ok to charge the same battery with 2 different controllers in the same time?
If I have to disconnect the battery every time I want to use the portable solar panels, this becomes a hassle...
Old 01-02-2024, 01:38 AM   #9

Does anyone know who many solar panels in series can be attached to this SAE connector?

I have two bluetti 350Watt solar panels and a 50a MPPT.
TNTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:06 AM   #10

OUTPUT of the controller is 50a x 13.6v = 680w of panels
You size the wire based on the amps (50a) and the distance from controller to battery

wire size from panels to controller is based on what amps the total panels can produce and the distance to controller

series and parallel connections affect the amps
work out the best configuration so you volts are as high as possible
then work out what your amperage output will be

use a wire size calculator to determine gauge
solar wire have better insulation so if you use solar rated wire you can save some thickness ... use a solar calculator

https://www.google.com/search?channe...ize+calculator
Old 01-02-2024, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTX View Post
Does anyone know who many solar panels in series can be attached to this SAE connector?

I have two bluetti 350Watt solar panels and a 50a MPPT.
To my knowledge, most RV side ports have a 10 gauge wire to the battery. Yours may be whatever they are, but you shouldn't send more amps through the wire that it can safely handle. Conducting 30 amps through 10 gauge copper wire is considered safe.

Subject to your verification, your panels (one 350 watt) produce a max short circuit current of 10.8 amps. Two would be about 22 amps SCC, therefore, if all of the above is correct, you could connect the two sets of panels together in parallel.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #12

Revision to my last post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
To my knowledge, most RV side ports have a 10 gauge wire to the battery. Yours may be whatever they are, but you shouldn't send more amps through the wire that it can safely handle. Conducting 30 amps through 10 gauge copper wire is considered safe.

Subject to your verification, your panels (one 350 watt) produce a max short circuit current of 10.8 amps. Two would be about 22 amps SCC, therefore, if all of the above is correct, you could connect the two sets of panels together in parallel.
Disregard my last post. My 10 gauge side wire may not be on most RVs. Many, if not most, may have a 10 amp fuse limited limitation.

The OP would be well served to hook up his panels directly to his battery with the appropriate controller and fuse.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:43 PM   #13

Bacon,

I have a 2023 MAC 425. Mine came ot indicating it had a roof panel. I. Advance of receiving it I purchased Renogy 200 watt suitcase panel that comes complete with a MPT controller.

I checked the solar on the side lort and was getting voltage. I looked under the rig.and discovered it wired back towards the onboard controller.

I have subsequently rewired the port directly to a 3 position selector switch so now my.battery either gets the roof solar or the mobile solar suitcase. Works out perfectly and the Renogy performs awesomely with 200 watts. Verify your wiring.
Petes Popup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel