Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Overhead lights/12VDC/kill switch question

I have a 2021 1640LTD, and noticed something interesting recently while I was NOT connected to shore power. The overhead lights can be switched on while the sink is flipped down (kill switch thus not depressed yet) and the lights actually come on, although in a very dimmed capacity. When I press the kill switch down, they light up fully.

Does anyone know if this is a safety measure (I.e. you can have a tiny bit of light if needed while working on the camper and not fully setup)? Or could there be some cross wiring mistake? I always had the understanding the 12VDC supply was FULLY disengaged until the kill switch gets engaged.
Nrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #2

That was mine too.

However, the concern was probably over the heat generated by an incandescent bulb.

I'm betting you have LED's so probably not as much of a concern (if you have them).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
That was mine too.

However, the concern was probably over the heat generated by an incandescent bulb.

I'm betting you have LED's so probably not as much of a concern (if you have them).

Yes they are LED. My concern, or just question to better understand things, is: why can the lights still be switched on and get a little dim power when the kill switch is in the off position?
Old 05-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #4

I would be concerned with battery drain while down. Is there a possibility they power off when the roof is down? If they stay on when fully closed I would call a dealer.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
I would be concerned with battery drain while down. Is there a possibility they power off when the roof is down? If they stay on when fully closed I would call a dealer.

Certainly possible...I will stick my head in while it’s down, flip the switch, and see what happens.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrollins View Post
I have a 2021 1640LTD, and noticed something interesting recently while I was NOT connected to shore power. The overhead lights can be switched on while the sink is flipped down (kill switch thus not depressed yet) and the lights actually come on, although in a very dimmed capacity. When I press the kill switch down, they light up fully.

Does anyone know if this is a safety measure (I.e. you can have a tiny bit of light if needed while working on the camper and not fully setup)? Or could there be some cross wiring mistake? I always had the understanding the 12VDC supply was FULLY disengaged until the kill switch gets engaged.
It's not a safety measure. Because LEDs use so little current, a stray strand at a switch or terminal is enough to cause what you are seeing (most likely). Another possibility is the kill switch leaking voltage/current in the open position (not depressed). The other possibility that comes to mind is a poor ground connection.

The sensitivity of the LEDs to a wiring or switch fault is actually a good thing in this case.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, question, switch