RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Pics of Solar Wiring Setup

Letís see pics of what you did to wire your camper for solar charging. I will start with my setup.

I bought a 100 watt kit from WindyNation. It comes with the charge controller, panel and some wire. I bought additional solar wire, waterproof connectors, fuse holders, ZAMP leader, and a 12 volt outlet with USB. Everything was available from Amazon for around $200.

This is my solar charger as mounted in the camper. The drawer next to the power unit was hollow underneath so access to wiring was simple.

On the outside of the camper I took advantage of the unused standard opening for shoreline power. Since I have a detachable plug this is just wasted space. It turns out there is a nice cavity built to hold wires so that is where my wires are stored for travel.

I didnít include pics, but the two wires with the fuse connect to a ZAMP leader wire and plug into the prewired ZAMP port. The black wire is a two-connector solar wire I bought and runs to the solar panel, which I left free-standing so I can move it with the sun to maximize charging.

Note the 10 amp fuses on each positive wire in the system. The directions from WindyNation recommend 10 amp fuses for a 100 watt panel.

So far I have yet to find a need for more than the 100 watt panel, but I havenít gone more than 3 or four days without shore power and donít use higher power appliances like a TV or 110 volt inverter. Since our camper is a year old with LED lights, the furnace and water pump likely use most of our power.

The best part is I can hook the entire system up when I am home again to keep my batteries fully charged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C41882E-1F1F-451B-BF5E-CDF8D152C2A8.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	180491   Click image for larger version

Name:	9F2D247E-5ED9-48D3-BC16-15D9EDE74EF4.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	180492   Click image for larger version

Name:	160F1BFE-5B47-49F0-96F8-CB983DDEAEA6.jpg
Views:	263