Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2022, 08:43 PM   #1

Plug and Play Solar Kit

Hi, we have a 2018 Rockwood Prem 2317 G and I’m told it’s prewired for solar. Any advice on a plug and play kit to get started? Never boondocked so may try to start small. Haven’t found much info anywhere on a plug and play kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
PopUpPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:46 PM   #2

We started with a Renogy 200 watt suitcase kit, purchased it last summer for a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone. Mostly keep up with are daily usage even with a residential fridge. But we also had a two 6 volt GC batteries and kept the fridge packed with couple gallon jugs of frozen water. Also kept our drinks in a cooler that we refilled with ice as needed.

As for hooking it up to the solar port on the side of the camper we had to get a reverse polarity connector, cut of the battery clamps and add 10 feed of additional cable so we could move it around to catch the sun. We where camped under some dense forest. Last note, as stated above mostly kept up but would have needed to fire up the genny if we stayed 4 days or more.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopUpPop View Post
Hi, we have a 2018 Rockwood Prem 2317 G and I’m told it’s prewired for solar. Any advice on a plug and play kit to get started? Never boondocked so may try to start small. Haven’t found much info anywhere on a plug and play kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Plug-and-play typically means a port on the side of the trailer with a wire leading to the battery. It's intended for use with a portable panel which has its own solar charge controller.

You can buy a solar suitcase already assembled or, if you have a little skill (it doesn't take much) you can buy the parts and make your own. Renogy sells kits used by a lot of people. Some complain of poor customer support. GoPower is a common name in the RV industry, as is Zamp, but they're both on the higher end of the price scale without the higher quality to match.

Check out Will Prowse's YouTube channel. There's a lot more there than you need to know but you can find some videos that explain the basics without getting deep in the weeds.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:16 PM   #4

Below are the 3 items I used to do a Renology Solar Suitcase (plug & play) setup, on my 2018 HW27KS that was advertised as 'solar ready'
It's enough to keep our 1 group 24 battery topped up, during a 5 day stay. We use it to power the winch up/down, run LED nights, water pump and about 15 mins of furnace each morning. I run my fridge on propane and charge our phones/speaker from a separate small solar panel. It works well for us, but we are 2 people.
I think like someone mentioned above, Zamp is the company who would supply the solar set-up that the port is installed for. But if you use the items I have listed and plug & play solar set up should work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s%2C170&sr=8-5https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Adapte...s%2C170&sr=8-5
Old 04-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #5

I highly recommend buying a battery monitor with a shunt if you are going to boondock. Rinning your battery down below 50% shortens its life. A monitor will tell you the state of your battery. Also, buy a volt ohm meter so you can check polarity on the 12v system.

My hundred watt panel was much cheaper than the suitcase style. It fits behind my couch or on a bed, so it doesn't need to fold.

Two 6 volt golg cart batteries (wired in series) are the least expensive way to get good battery power.

Easy to make an extension cord out of an old 120v cord.

I also have a flexible 100 watt panel glued to the roof, and with that and the portable, we keep our batteries in great shape. We are careful with out electric use, and don't run the noisy furnace all night, but if we want to watch a movie, we can.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Look up 'Solar Suitcase" for plug and play kits. They come in a myriad of sizes but most all come with an attached controller and "legs" that hold the panels up and aimed to the Sun.

When it comes to size, just remember that the more power you use from your batteries the longer it will take to replace with a small solar suitcase. A "solar charging day" usually lasts around seven hours, give or take a little and even then it depends on overcast or clouds.

Before purchasing give some serious thought to how much power you will use when off grid camping. Lighting, furnace, water pump, refrigerator (residential types use LOTS), that evening movie on TV, and even cell phone charging.

If one uses an average of 35 amp hours (my average) and is using a 100 Watt Solar Suitase for recharging their batteries while off grid, it's doubtful it will fully recharge the batteries even if Sun is full and no clouds pass by. A 100 watt solar kit will only provide 7 amps max which, unless you have Lithium batteries, won't provide a full charge. (partly because of the continual draw on a 12 volt system by thermostat, refrigerator, etc.)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #7

Plug and play

It is likely that the system that is installed is Zamp. Many people convert to other systems which requires some alterations but less expensive. We went with Zamp, installed a 2nd battery and purchased an extention cord so we can move the suitcase panels around to follow the sun. We have been very pleased and in the 7 years we've had it, have not had one problem. Solar is not the solution for AC, refrigerator or microwave.
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:12 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for their responses! It will help in our research.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
Solar is not the solution for AC, refrigerator or microwave.
Agree, not the solution for AC but MAYBE for a refrigerator and "good chance" for a microwave.

I just returned from a week of boondocking running a freezer in my Outside Kitchen and using my microwave a couple times a day, all without having to use my generator to charge my batteries.

If one has enough battery storage (I have two LiFePo4 batteries) and an adequate amount of solar (Mine is a 240 w portable kit I built that delivers 15 amp in full sun) it is very possible to run those two appliances using "solar power".

My system started charging around 8:30 AM and batteries were full (100%) no later than 3 PM.

The key is both size of storage and batteries that can accept a charge more rapidly than the old school Lead Acid batteries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:02 PM   #10

Just my 2 cents:

100W briefcase style solar panel. Mine is from Harbor Freight.

Victron solar charger with Bluetooth so you can monitor it from your phone, see your battery voltage, charge history, etc.

SAE extension cable.

For the polarity issue, I just have the bare wires of my SAE cable that goes into my Victron wired backwards (red is going to negative, black is going to positive). But you can also just get an SAE reverse polarity adaptor. This is all assuming you have the zamp branded solar plug.
Freedom2318G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #11

I'm looking at this option which comes with a controller and a "500cm 50amp Anderson plug and a 50cm cable with Alligator clamps and 50 amp Anderson plug". A few folks have mentioned a reverse polarity connector but not sure if what's included would make that redundant?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...668RTH2A0&th=1

I guess I'm still not 100% sure on what would plug into the existing port in my pre-wired pop-up.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2022, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm looking at this option which comes with a controller and a "500cm 50amp Anderson plug and a 50cm cable with Alligator clamps and 50 amp Anderson plug". A few folks have mentioned a reverse polarity connector but not sure if what's included would make that redundant?

I guess I'm still not 100% sure on what would plug into the existing port in my pre-wired pop-up.

Thanks!
This set up will work and you can attach the alligator clips straight onto your battery. The solar ready port is a way to plug in your solar kit without the hassle of opening the battery box, you would need the reverse polarity adapter to join them up.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 09-26-2022, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:

Thanks!
Go Power kits come with 50 amp Anderson connectors plus converter type attachments for whatever type of side connectors you have on your TT.

In my kit, I got an Anderson 50 amp to Furrion 2 pin connector, 50 amp Anderson to alligator connectors, and 50 amp Anderson to SAE. These converters are short easily changeable cables.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #14

This one seems to have everything and would even include the reverse polarity necessary to plug into the existing Solar port. Would you agree?

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-200-Wa...93&sr=8-6&th=1
Old 09-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #15

Don't let the existing power power port dictate what you buy It's not anything special other than a marketing ploy.

The one you just posted. The charge controller will need to be mounted inside. It isn't water proof. It is also a pwm controller not an mppt. The mppt will give you better performance but they cost more.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
This one seems to have everything and would even include the reverse polarity necessary to plug into the existing Solar port. Would you agree?

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-200-Wa...93&sr=8-6&th=1
I probably missed it, but where does it say it comes with a reverse polarity plug? Also, are you sure you need a reverse polarity plug? I am pretty sure, subject to verification, that Zamp is the only system (in your case the prewiring) that reversed the polarity on a two prong connector.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:27 PM   #17

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The plug and play on the rockwoods are wired specifically for Zamp solar panels , with the polarity being reversed as opposed to every other solar panel out there. And boy are the Zamps one mightily overpriced solar panel. Add to the equation that they are wired from the battery to the port with #12 awg wire and you are already behind the 8 ball, especially if you plan on adding a cord to be able to move your panels around and keep them out of the shade.
In 12v dc systems wire size and length are critical. With one solar panel, calculated with 3% voltage drop, the wire size for a 30ft run, including the wiring from the plug on the trailer to the batteries would be properly sized #8 awg. There are lots of wire size calculators online to help you out.
If you're not electrical savy or have a friend who is, then spring for the zamp and you're good to go.
If you're planning on staying away from a generator as much as possible then plan on building a more robust system. Upgraded batteries, mppt charge controller, multiple solar panels and properly sized wiring.
I do long multiple week trips to the national parks, where there are no electrical hook ups so my system needs to be robust. If you are just weekend camping a single panel should do the trick, so long as you aren't planning on using the heater much, that thing just loves to eat power.
Let's face it, the whole plug and play thing is a gimmick. It's just a plug and some undersized wire...that's it. For probably 10 or 20 bucks, Forest River gets to claim the are solar ready and Zamp get to slap their sticker on your trailer with the added bonus of having a captive audience for their products.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
The plug and play on the rockwoods are wired specifically for Zamp solar panels , with the polarity being reversed as opposed to every other solar panel out there. And boy are the Zamps one mightily overpriced solar panel. Add to the equation that they are wired from the battery to the port with #12 awg wire and you are already behind the 8 ball, especially if you plan on adding a cord to be able to move your panels around and keep them out of the shade.

In 12v dc systems wire size and length are critical. With one solar panel, calculated with 3% voltage drop, the wire size for a 30ft run, including the wiring from the plug on the trailer to the batteries would be properly sized #8 awg. There are lots of wire size calculators online to help you out.

If you're not electrical savy or have a friend who is, then spring for the zamp and you're good to go.

If you're planning on staying away from a generator as much as possible then plan on building a more robust system. Upgraded batteries, mppt charge controller, multiple solar panels and properly sized wiring.

I do long multiple week trips to the national parks, where there are no electrical hook ups so my system needs to be robust. If you are just weekend camping a single panel should do the trick, so long as you aren't planning on using the heater much, that thing just loves to eat power.

Let's face it, the whole plug and play thing is a gimmick. It's just a plug and some undersized wire...that's it. For probably 10 or 20 bucks, Forest River gets to claim the are solar ready and Zamp get to slap their sticker on your trailer with the added bonus of having a captive audience for their products.
Agreed. I have a 2020 Microlite 21DS with "Solar-on-the-Side". Instead of buying their ridiculously overpriced solar panels I bought a Renogy 200 watt solar suitcase, pulled the connector from the side of my trailer, cut and reversed the wires (yes, Solar-on-the-Side purposely reverse polarity to get you to buy there panels), reattached and I was good to go.

I boondock 98% of the time and I have no problems charging my two 6volt Interstate golf cart batteries with this setup.
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Nomad View Post
Agreed. I have a 2020 Microlite 21DS with "Solar-on-the-Side". Instead of buying their ridiculously overpriced solar panels I bought a Renogy 200 watt solar suitcase, pulled the connector from the side of my trailer, cut and reversed the wires (yes, Solar-on-the-Side purposely reverse polarity to get you to buy there panels), reattached and I was good to go.

I boondock 98% of the time and I have no problems charging my two 6volt Interstate golf cart batteries with this setup.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Renogy. Well priced, great quality.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Also, are you sure you need a reverse polarity plug? I am pretty sure, subject to verification, that Zamp is the only system (in your case the prewiring) that reversed the polarity on a two prong connector.
No, I'm not sure it's needed. I'm lost on that. A few folks said it's needed but I have no idea why a camper pre-wired for solar with a input port would need an adapter for a solar kit designed to plug into a port.

Tags
solar