Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Pop top condensation

Hi Team
I am new to the forum. I live in New Zealand and I am very happy that we have recently been released from lockdown so we are planning a weekend trip. We are coming into our winter now though Temperatures in the north don’t get to freezing but is pretty cool.

We have a Flagstaff Mac 228D and I am a little bit concerned about condensation. I have read posts around insuring the ceiling ventilation fan is activated and I am also going to run a dehumidifier using the camp power supply.

I don’t expect to have zero condensation but wanted to know if it is okay to use a microfibre towel to wipe off excess condensation before packing up and whether this will damage the fabric. We tend to get it above the pull-out beds the most.

Any tips or comments would be appreciated please.

I hope you All stay safe and well.

Adam
Kiwi Mac 228D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, Definitely would wipe it down b4 closing Unless you can air it out when you get home.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #3

I owned a pop-ups for years. Never had issues with mold or anything else.

Best thing you can do is pop it up when you're back home and let it thoroughly dry before putting it away.

My routine was always put it up once at home to load it, camp in it, then take it back home and set it up again to remove everything and endure it dries out completely.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:20 AM   #4

Thanks guys. With wiping the inside of the canvas do you know if this can cause damage or waterproofing issues please?
Old 05-16-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Google Popup Gizmos and Reflectix. They are the #1 mod for Popups and Hybrid TTs.
Helps with condensation, temperature control, darkening the tent ends and canvas protection.
They're known in the community as PUGs.
Air movement is a BIG key for solving condensation.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #6

Yes, air circulation is key and PUGs will help. you could also unzip a window in the tent ends - does not need to be all the way, just a crack will do. we only had condensation once and it was when another couple joined us and they did not crack the window. they woke up to water dripping on them.

I don't think wiping the tent end will effect the waterproofing. it is not like the canvas of old when you dare not touch it when wet (except the window flaps themselves - they are not vinyl coated). but it is better to minimize condensation in the first place.
even wiping the tent ends will not completely dry the tenting - it will still have to air out to get totally dry.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

I don't think I'd wipe it down as a normal course of action. Air dry is probably the best. If you want to do it every once in a while that's fine but I'd be weary of canvas wear, tearing at the seams, etc.

Even if you do, I would let it stay up until you are sure it's completely dry. Simply wiping it down won't do that.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #8

That is all very helpful thank you especially about the pugs. Looks like shipping from the US may take a while at the moment. Has anyone tried any DIY alternatives?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac 228D View Post
That is all very helpful thank you especially about the pugs. Looks like shipping from the US may take a while at the moment. Has anyone tried any DIY alternatives?
This is close to the material that PUGs uses. You may have to cut a couple up and sew them to a complete one, to get full coverage. PUGs does custom fitting for each model.
here's link to the all-weather/sportsmen blanket by Grabber:

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdo.../dp/B079GKJ2GS
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote