Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Pop up camper roof leaking

My husband and I were given a 1989 Rockwood XL. We opened it yesterday to clean it and air it out. It ended up being a weather test because it rained all night long and most of the day. When I went in it this morning to check it I stepped in a puddle on the step to go to the one bunk. I looked up and there was a small slow drip. There was also a lot of moisture and dampness on the canvas. I know it's a 27 year old camper so it will have issues.

What can we do to repair the roof and determine where the leak may be.

Attached is a picture of where inside the drip is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462304348588.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	106814  
WGRaimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

Depends on where that is, is it near the AC or roof vent? It could be traveling from there. As for the canvas it would probably handle a coat of Waterproofing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

We had a leak in our pup. We found it by setting up the camper. I sat inside while my wife hosed down the camper to simulate rain. Took a while but found the leak around our A/C. Removed the old sealant from around the a/c made sure it was clean and dry. Wiped the area down with some alcohol and waited for it to dry. We used masking tape to keep the new sealant neat and the leak was gone. We waited a week before putting it back out in the elements. Not sure if it needed to wait that long but just wanted to be sure it cured. Good luck.
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
We had a leak in our pup. We found it by setting up the camper. I sat inside while my wife hosed down the camper to simulate rain. Took a while but found the leak around our A/C. Removed the old sealant from around the a/c made sure it was clean and dry. Wiped the area down with some alcohol and waited for it to dry. We used masking tape to keep the new sealant neat and the leak was gone. We waited a week before putting it back out in the elements. Not sure if it needed to wait that long but just wanted to be sure it cured. Good luck.
Sealant?........mine is a foam. I have to turn the screws about 1/4 turn once a season......that foam seal should be switched out about every 5 years or so.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #5

It is actually on the same side as the vent. The guy we got it from said he sealed off the vent but not the vent cover. My husbands father said exactly what you all had suggested, to take off the old seals, clean and reseal it.

I don't think it was coming from the ac/heat unit. But I am still new at this owning a pop up thing.

Thank you all
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGRaimondo View Post
It is actually on the same side as the vent. The guy we got it from said he sealed off the vent but not the vent cover. My husbands father said exactly what you all had suggested, to take off the old seals, clean and reseal it.

I don't think it was coming from the ac/heat unit. But I am still new at this owning a pop up thing.

Thank you all
My point was that the foam gasket for the ac should be self sealing due to compression........meaning no exterior sealant required. Now for sealing the vent cover flange.....Geocel 2300 would be an excellent unless someone used Silicon sealant....not good.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

What's wrong with silicon sealant, just wondering
Old 05-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #8

Sealant

Once you use silicone..........nothing else can be applied to that area but more silicone even if the old silicone is scrapped up.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGRaimondo View Post
My husband and I were given a 1989 Rockwood XL. We opened it yesterday to clean it and air it out. It ended up being a weather test because it rained all night long and most of the day. When I went in it this morning to check it I stepped in a puddle on the step to go to the one bunk. I looked up and there was a small slow drip. There was also a lot of moisture and dampness on the canvas. I know it's a 27 year old camper so it will have issues.

What can we do to repair the roof and determine where the leak may be.

Attached is a picture of where inside the drip is.
If the canvas is moldy and you want to replace the entire canvas, I highly recommend this company to do it. www.canvasreplacements.com
They may have the pattern for camper or you can send them your canvas and the will make it. When I had some repairs done on my 1989 Jayco 1006 I looked to see what it would cost and I think it was around $900.00.
Sounds like the roof also may have some rotting wood and that is not good!
Good luck with the repaires!!!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
peaceparson

I've seen the work done by canvasreplacements.com. They do a nice job and the fit is really good. We had a 95 Skamper that leaked. The roof beams rotted and gave way before we knew about the leak. The cost of repairs at the local shop was more than we could manage, so we fixed-er-up ourselves. She lasted another two seasons before the cable broke and we traded up to FR. Hope you cought your leak before internal roof damage was done.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, leak, pop up, roo, roof