Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Pop Up Gizmo- Bunk end covers.

I just reordered a new bunk end cover from Popupgizmos.com. I had the old one for numerous years and it was wearing out. I ordered the "super high wind" version.
These items are fantastic for popups. They keep the inside so much cooler in summer when the sun is beating down on the bunk ends. The reflective side shades the bunk and, overall, keeps the inside that much cooler. I believe they are reasonably priced for what they do. The only negative might be that the inside is darker during the day, but small price to pay for the benefit.
You can call online and if they have your model popup on file, they can make them up quickly. If not, the web site explains how to measure your bunk ends and then they will fabricate accordingly.

Highly recommended.
Gary & Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Team

They do the same for Hybrid TTs.
The darkening inside is a positive for afternoon naps and late risers.
They also protect the canvas from tree sap and other debris.
Satisfaction levels for them, are above 90%.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

I’ve had my Gizmos for a couple of years and they work very well, the only cons are putting them up and the alligator clips don’t always keep the covers secure.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

PUGs are the first thing to buy when you get a hold of a pop-up or hybrid. They help a lot at night also in holding heat.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

gizmos

Have to get me some! I've been using some cabelas emergency blankets that have one reflective side- one covers the full bed bunk side perfectly; queen bed side just a bit short, but they do help with heat!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

We love ours. Keeps the bunks so much cooler. We have the super high wind version with the Velcro sewn in. The other side of the Velcro is glued in to the top of the bunks and the pugs pretty much stay in place all year and get folded in with the bunks. All the bungees are tied to a ring on one side and a carabiner on the other. The only thing I need to do when setting up is to snap the carabiner into the ring to attach the bungees and im done.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017101495172323.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	202050
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017101495173926.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	202051
I did have one of my gizmos go bad after 2 seasons of use. The silver on the shiny side started flaking off in spots. The other 2 were fine. I contacted Bob Pitney to ask about buying a single replacement and he sent me out a new one free of charge. Those guys are awesome.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

Pop up gizmos- Bunk End Covers

Quite a response to my post. Finster had a good point about the velcro. We originally sewed some on the cover end and then a piece under the camper cover. When installing, we just connect to the velcro (before we raise the canvas) and then hook clips on both sides near the top and raise the canvas.
I mentioned this to Bob and he is going to send my new cover with velcro already sewn on. So if you order, just ask about that and PUG can deliver with the velcro.

Also, I also was having one of my cover start to deteriorate last year. Silver side flaking off. I called PUG just to order a new one and when Bob heard I didn't have it for very long, he sent a new one at no cost.

Again, highly recommended.
Gary
Old 04-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

By the way, I also have the "super high wind" covers which have the bungees that go along the sides and hook underneath the bed. The covers will not come off.

Gary
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

gizmos

Wow, so you are able to close the popup with the gizmos on? Great if true! I figured because of their thickness this might make it hard to close the camper?

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
PUGs are the first thing to buy when you get a hold of a pop-up or hybrid. They help a lot at night also in holding heat.
x2.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringbill View Post
Wow, so you are able to close the popup with the gizmos on? Great if true! I figured because of their thickness this might make it hard to close the camper?
Im not sure if that would work with a pop up or not. Probably not...We have a hybrid travel trailer. We can leave the pugs attached to the Velcro when stowing away the bunks. The pugs attach to the trailer inside of the bunk seal, and just fold up into the canvas. We dont have a seasonal spot, we travel around a lot during the season so we have to set up and tear down a lot. I usually leave them attached all year long and I don't remove them until fall when I winterize. Makes things a lot easier. The pugs are put in a tote and put in the basement until spring.
This works with the pretty much all the newer hybrids that use the Velcro to attach instead of the clips on the gutters.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

We just unfasten the bungees and toss them over onto the downed tent and fold it up. No issues. We have a Hybrid2018 FR Rockwood Roo 24WS
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Bob Pitney's outstanding customer service is well known in the popup and hybrid community, for years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

NO, I do not close the popup camper with the Bunk end covers attached. I remove, fold carefully and store them inside.

Gary and Janis
Old 04-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #15

We loved the PUGs when we had our hybrid. When we traded the Jayco hybrid for our current TT I put the PUGs up on the Jayco forum and made somebody pretty happy (50% of original cost and they were like new). Regarding the little clamps that seem to fall apart fairly easily - we replaced ours with a couple different sizes of binder clips. Worked great and you can get a box of them at the office store for next to nothing.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM   #16

My condensation issues are near zero since getting the PUGs. That alone was worth the price of admission.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #17

I'm so glad this post was here. The fiance and I had been discussing getting these for a few months now but we weren't 100% sold on them and worried they would be a pain and more of a hassle to put on when setting up. Seems that's not the case. I'll be putting my order in today or tomorrow for the "Super High Wind" version. Hoping this really helps cool off the PUP more.

tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbrady View Post
I'm so glad this post was here. The fiance and I had been discussing getting these for a few months now but we weren't 100% sold on them and worried they would be a pain and more of a hassle to put on when setting up. Seems that's not the case. I'll be putting my order in today or tomorrow for the "Super High Wind" version. Hoping this really helps cool off the PUP more.
I cant speak for a pup, you have a lot more canvas than I do. But with our pugs installed and reflectix in the windows, our bunks are probably 10-15° cooler than they would be without.

Tags
bunk, cover, pop up