Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Pop up leaky toilet feed line

My flagstaff has a leaking feed line that goes to the flush mechanism. Very difficult to get to head on. Do I need to remove the toilet or is there a special tool for removing the water lines behind the toilet. I’ve already tried a plumbers wrench but couldn’t find one small enough. Tried small channel locks but it’s too tight a work space. Can the toilet be removed or is that a major project?
RetiredFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #2

most toilets are secured with only two bolts one on each side... nuts off then lift up about 2-3 inches

have you tried just using a pair of pliers on the fitting? It should just be plastic so don't crunch down too hard...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

I don't recall exactly what part came off to open it but the control area with the flush button just popped out (or maybe there was a screw or two) on mine, under there is the pump motor and lines from the tank to the pump and then the pump to the water jet that sends water around the bowl.

As I recall it was a small opening but you can get access to that side of the lines if your opens the way mine did.

This was the part that came off:
https://www.dyersonline.com/thetford...xoC15MQAvD_BwE
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

It really varies depending on what model toilet and pop-up camper you have. My Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame has a Thetford Model 230 series cassette toilet that has water supply permanently plumbed in, but does not have a water tank.

After spending time poking around the Thetford web site, I was able to find an installation manual, an operating manual, and a graphical parts list. In my case, the toilet enclosure hides all the workings, the only access is through the cassette outside door. The water line runs through there. Removing the cassette helps with access, it's almost impossible without removing the cassette.

I believe the toilet removal from the enclosure can only be done from behind the enclosure, but the installation manual and parts diagram should help you figure it out.

There are also YouTube videos, but be aware that the poster may have a different model Thetford than you do. A lot of New Zealand/Aussie videos about Thetfords, where other models are more popular. Thetfords are made in Holland, and are expensive to replace ($650+). I managed to find a company that sells just the cassette (I broke the door mechanism yanking the cassette out with the toilet base door open) and a new seat for $250+. Delivered in 2 days.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #5

After further searching we found the floor bolts for the toilet. We’re back in business. For a big guy looking straight down the back of the toilet they were difficult to see. Thank you for responding!
RetiredFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Our first camper had been modified with a handheld sprayer instead of the flush. The owner explained that it was a temporary fix and after they tried it for a while they found it far superior to the flush valve. We agreed.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #7

Retired frank did u fix ur issue with the leaking toilet I a have the same issue on my HW was it just the water line coming in ???
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, pop up