RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #41

Turns out Its not that easy to get a BAL in my area of the world... shipping, customs, exchange. So today I got a set of those walmart levelling blocks. That'll do the trick. Plus I love Lego!
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
Turns out Its not that easy to get a BAL in my area of the world... shipping, customs, exchange. So today I got a set of those walmart levelling blocks. That'll do the trick. Plus I love Lego!
You'll still have to chock one of the wheels. The side without the leveling blocks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #43

I love the Leveler Legos with my A-frame. Add a graduated level to the front panel of your PUP. When you get into position read the level - one mark on the level = 1 Lego block on the lower side. Put the correct number of Legos on the low side, and back on. It really is that simple.

I do chock both wheels. I found out the hard way the cheap yellow plastic chocks don't hold in high winds on some surfaces. I ended up buying the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight ($5 each with coupon), and giving away the plastic chocks (I kept a set for home in the garage only).

After disconnecting, level front to back with the tongue jack.

In both my A-frames (and I suspect in your PUP as well), the Dometic electronic thermostat is powered by a separate 12V circuit, and runs off your battery. Has a 5A fuse on my A-frames. Neither A/C nor heat will run if that fuse is missing. Heater has its own circuit with igniter and blower on it.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #44

Another option is the Andersen Leveler. You'd only need one. When we moved up to a dual axle, I gave the BAL leveler away and got the Andersen. I love them. They should work for you, too.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #45

Congratulations,
We just sold our pop up. I recommend getting a solar panel and not attaching it. Just hook it to your battery and it will give you more dry camping days. We got our on amazon .
We ran our heater at night and it warmed the water for our showers. Change your inside lights to LED also.
Happy Camping 😀😀
McFarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #46

Good advice from all contributors.

We started camping before we even had our first tent-trailer, which actually belonged to my brother-in-law. That was more than 40 years ago! Lessons learned:

1. Never keep food in the trailer where it can be seen or smelled by bears. They will tear up your canvas in seconds.

2. Never keep a cooler full of food or drinks in your trailer, the bears know exactly what a cooler looks like, and will tear up your canvas in seconds.

3. Do not keep medicines, or skin lotions, or make-up cosmetics inside the trailer. Bears will smell these items and think they might be good to eat.

4. Do not leave any trash containers near your trailer. Skunks and Raccoons love to rummage through open trash containers to see what they can find.

5. If you travel with pets, as we do, never leave them unguarded in a tent trailer while you are hiking or otherwise away from camp. Bears and mountain lions consider all pets as food!!

6. Wherever you camp, make sure there is a lockable, bear-proof food locker at your site, or at least nearby. If you leave food in your tow vehicle, the bears can still smell it, or see it, and will break in to get at it. We have seen SUV's with their entire tailgates ripped off by bears determined to get at the food inside!!

Your new tent trailer looks fantastic!! We enjoyed tent trailering for more than 20 years before we bought our first hard-sided Travel Trailer. We wish you nothing but the best as you embark on a new RV adventure.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #47

If you got the Lynx brand leveler "logos", you can get the matching Lynx chocks that lock into the blocks. Great chocks and good as a stop when you are centered on the top block. I also got the Lynx flat toppers to connect a single layer together. All available through Amazon and WalMart.com.
I recommend you consider one of those freestanding shower stalls for both showering and porta potty placement privacy.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

I have had good success using our suitcase solar panel. Puts a good five amps out. But I always bring a generator that runs on propane. Propane is much safer to transport and never deteriorates. On a two bottle rig you carry what you need to run the needs of the trailer and the generator for short trips.

Nice unit, you will enjoy not sleeping on the ground and all the essentials at hand.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #49

Thanks boomerweps. I have the camco legos and they make chocks that go with them. But they're around 40 bucks. Can I get away with just chocking one wheel? Or is 40 bucks worth the investment to be safe?
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
Old 07-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks boomerweps. I have the camco legos and they make chocks that go with them. But they're around 40 bucks. Can I get away with just chocking one wheel? Or is 40 bucks worth the investment to be safe?
Get the BAL Leveler, combo chock and leveler. Well loved by the Popup Community.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-02-2019, 12:47 AM   #51
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] Can the stabilizer jacks be used to level it, or are they just to stabilize it after it's level? Thanks
If you're asking this, you haven't read the manual or very much of anything online. If you don't have the manual, download it. Then read it thoroughly.

My intent is not to make you feel bad about asking the question. It just means you have some reading, searching, and reading to do.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 AM   #52
Site Team

HappyCamper, with all the basic questions youve been asking, your dealer sounds like they gave a really poor PDI/ walkthrough. I'm so sorry, as a lot of this stuff should've been explained.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #53

Id love to get the BAL leveller but can't get it easily in Nova Scotia. Would have to be ordered from the US. Customs, exchange, shipping...double the price!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Id love to get the BAL leveller but can't get it easily in Nova Scotia. Would have to be ordered from the US. Customs, exchange, shipping...double the price!
Decent stuff at Canadian Tire should be available.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #55

Always make sure the bed supports are in place before you hop on the bed or you'll bend the slide rails. I speak from experience.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #56

We got a solar panel too, and with limited use of lights, we could dry camp for 5 days. We use battery operated lanterns inside.
amywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodilc View Post
Always make sure the bed supports are in place before you hop on the bed or you'll bend the slide rails. I speak from experience.
Yep I've been there too.... And also make sure your have your stabilizer jacks down as well....I got in the back bed once without them down and the front of the trailer lifted off the ground....
Curt Trutrack WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #58

Some of my questions in this thread were before I picked it up and had the walk through on June 29. The demo was fairly thorough but they did skim over a couple things looks like. I assure you that I read every manual they gave me. As well as many posts in this forum and I googled the crap out of stuff. Anything I couldn't find answers to, didn't have a manual for, or lack of google hits after I picked it up and had the demo/walk through, I asked here. I thought there were no stupid questions
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #59

Quote:
Some of my questions in this thread were before I picked it up and had the walk through on June 29. The demo was fairly thorough but they did skim over a couple things looks like. I assure you that I read every manual they gave me. As well as many posts in this forum and I googled the crap out of stuff. Anything I couldn't find answers to, didn't have a manual for, or lack of google hits after I picked it up and had the demo/walk through, I asked here. I thought there were no stupid questions
Correct. There are no stupid questions.
You can unfortunately get some stupid answers !!!!
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #60

We had a popup for 8 years. When we sold it, the end looked as good as new. The secret:
You normally leave a campsite in the morning and often there is dew on the canvas ends. If store the camper with the dew on the canvas you get mold. To avoid the mold, when you get home, set up the camper again an leave it set up until you are sure it is dry inside and out then fold it up for storage.
MentallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, newbie, pop up, 2514g