Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Pop ups and pups

Has anyone camped in pop ups with dogs? We have two little, 27lb, schnauzers and we were thinking we needed a hybrid because it would be safer for the dogs. The concern is, we wouldn't be able to leave and go anywhere and leave the dogs in a pop up, with the air on of course, but we would be able to in a hybrid. We are concerned someone might steal them. Being gone meaning a couple of hours at most. Has anyone had this dilemma and what did you do about it?

Thanks
HDBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We camped in a pop-up with a dog, but he didn't get left in the camper, in fact many campgrounds have that rule posted. If they're barkers, it wouldn't matter if it's a pop-up or hybrid as neither isolate sounds very much.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I never though about campgrounds not allowing your dogs to be left inside your unit. Guess that answers that one. How was it camping with your dog in the pop up?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker View Post
Has anyone camped in pop ups with dogs? We have two little, 27lb, schnauzers and we were thinking we needed a hybrid because it would be safer for the dogs. The concern is, we wouldn't be able to leave and go anywhere and leave the dogs in a pop up, with the air on of course, but we would be able to in a hybrid. We are concerned someone might steal them. Being gone meaning a couple of hours at most. Has anyone had this dilemma and what did you do about it?

Thanks
We had an older popup, and the tents were not secured to the beds. Newer models from some manufacturers have solved this problem.

However, we moved to a travel trailer, and part of the reason was for security for our dogs. And for the added quiet.

Campgrounds usually have a time limit on dogs being left alone, however that does not include a dog that is kenneled. We keep a soft-sided collapsible kennel in our trailer, and we used it in our pop up, as well. Our dog is not a barker, but he can be mischievous. The kennel keeps him from getting in trouble. He gets tired camping (so much to do!!!), and it's a good chance for him to nap.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

We never camp without our dogs, a miniature Snauzer and a black Lab. We have left them for a short period of time in our pop up and didn't have any problems. But if we are going to be gone a while, we take them. I'm not worried about someone stealing our dogs. The Lab is pretty theft proof if you know what I mean.

Honestly, we enjoy camping with our dogs. We always camp at a place where we can walk them. Both them and us enjoy the walks.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #6

I guess we are going to go look at a pop up tomorrow evening
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Great!

We have our dog with us most of the time, but some of the rivers we kayak on do not allow dogs in the water. And he is like a fish, so try telling HIM he can't get in the water. Or there are gators.

We also camped where there was a cave tour - he couldn't do that. And we go tubing sometimes... not sure that would work, either.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:

So! This was a HUGE waste of time!!!!!! I texted the seller as we were leaving and she text me back and ok see you in a few min. After sitting 40 min in traffic we found her "abode" and were greeted by two growling pit bulls! I text her and told her we were there with no response. We heard people in the camper. She finally came out and said "They beat you here" I said "who" She replied "people came over from dayton and just bought it" with a chuckle. It was all I could do to not call her some choice names that are only used inside kennels!!!!! I had NO idea she had other people looking at it let alone people looking at it tonight also!!!! That was extremely RUDE!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

So! This was a HUGE waste of time!!!!!! I texted the seller as we were leaving and she text me back and ok see you in a few min. After sitting 40 min in traffic we found her "abode" and were greeted by two growling pit bulls! I text her and told her we were there with no response. We heard people in the camper. She finally came out and said "They beat you here" I said "who" She replied "people came over from dayton and just bought it" with a chuckle. It was all I could do to not call her some choice names that are only used inside kennels!!!!! I had NO idea she had other people looking at it let alone people looking at it tonight also!!!! That was extremely RUDE!!!!
That bites........
Another deal will be along just as that one.
Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your bad luck...keep on looking and you'll find one even better!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

thanks. I am looking at RV trader right now
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Sorry to hear of your bad luck...keep on looking and you'll find one even better!

Dave
X2! Probably find a better PUP.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Site Team

we camped in our PUPs, with our Golden but she never barked unless someone knocked on the door.
she also never jumped up in the beds.
when we moved to a hybrid, it was even easier because we had a slideout and more room for her.

but we never had a/c with our popups so we always stayed in cooler coastal areas to camp.
when we got the hybrid, we could camp more inland in hotter areas and run the a/c for her.

but if your dog barks, yaps or whines a lot while you're gone, you can bet someone will notify the park management or ranger and you be in trouble.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

Here are our pups we got the popup for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3602407434.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	33313  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

Name:	image-1876511195.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	33335

Name:	image-665890103.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	33338

Here's our two seasoned campers and one in training!

Just glad to get away
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #16

As an added tool, I bring along an ultrasonic bark deterrent. When its on, if they bark, it will emit an ultrasonic sound only the dogs hear & it can be set at 3 levels of sensitivity. I actually loaned it to a camper next to me because her dogs would not shut up. Mine are pretty quiet but theyre dogs and who knows, a squirrel or crow might decide to tease them into bark mode.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #17

We camp with two large labs in our hybrid. I would never leave them in it. We witnesses two dogs (a boxer & Great Dane) take the end right out of a hybrid. I would also be concerned with them getting caught in the bed support cable.

Maris
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
As an added tool, I bring along an ultrasonic bark deterrent. When its on, if they bark, it will emit an ultrasonic sound only the dogs hear & it can be set at 3 levels of sensitivity. I actually loaned it to a camper next to me because her dogs would not shut up. Mine are pretty quiet but theyre dogs and who knows, a squirrel or crow might decide to tease them into bark mode.
Every thought about just "dropping" it in her campsite? Lol

Just glad to get away
Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #19

My best friend was actually next to her & my trailer was next to my friend's. I tried to put it in her kitchen window but it kept falling off...so I thought I would just ask her if she'd like to try it out. She gratefully accepted because she had already been warned once. At he end of the weekend, she was sold on buying herself one for her dogs. haha I was her new best friend....actually I wad glad to help & it got all of is some quiet time.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #20

Sounds like it all worked out well. At least she realized that her dogs may have been a problem to others and was willing to accept help.

Where did you get the bark controller?

My dogs only bark at other animals that enter their space. They got into it with a few coyotes in the past. Alerted me to get up and check things out. But we have all been near a spot that had dogs wanting to bark all the time.

Just glad to get away