Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Popup Brakes

Anybody have any problems removing their brake drums off their popup wheels. I can't seem to get mine to budge. i am getting, i think a little brake shoe drag. (which i think i can adjust by going through the backside and turn the star adjuster) but i would like to get the drums off to inspect the shoes to see if they need replacing. Also at some point repack my bearings instead of just pumping in grease in the grease zert all the time. No problem getting to the outer bearings, but sooner or later i'll need to repack the inner ones and replace seals.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

You should be able to turn the adjuster wheel (counterclockwise I believe) to loosen the shoes against the drum.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smither View Post
You should be able to turn the adjuster wheel (counterclockwise I believe) to loosen the shoes against the drum.
Yea i figured i can do that to stop the drag, but i want to get the drums off to check my brake shoes and repack my bearings. So far i have pounded the heck out of them but they won't budge.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

Sorry, I meant that you could turn the adjuster enough so that the drums will be loose enough to remove. You should adjust the brakes so there is just a slight drag.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:43 PM   #5

A lot of times you must back the adjuster quite aways off. A quarter of inch of the drum gets a rusty lip that the brake shoe does not touch typically until you want to take drum off. After that the only thing holding it back from off is the rear grease seal. Be ready to replace that do not try to reuse it.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
A lot of times you must back the adjuster quite aways off. A quarter of inch of the drum gets a rusty lip that the brake shoe does not touch typically until you want to take drum off. After that the only thing holding it back from off is the rear grease seal. Be ready to replace that do not try to reuse it.
oh yeah by the time i get the the seals out i always end up having to replace them.

Smither, sorry i misunderstood you. I thought about backing the adjuster off some but didn't think that was what holding the drum on. I'll give it a try and see what happens, thanks.

Tags
brakes