RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Maybe itís just because so many people have popup blockers on their web browsers these days, so they just donít know that this type of RV exists.

Bruce
Yep that's it just disabled mine and there they are lol.
dtacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #42

Popups not as popular ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
We wanted one briefly when we first got into RVing until we started pricing small trailers. Pop ups are too expensive and they don't have bathrooms, which turned out to be a deal breaker. I always enjoy watching people struggle to set them up in state parks, the only place you really see them anymore

Not only does my pop-up have a bathroom, it has a shower (inside and outside), stove (indoor and outdoor), sink, fridge, hot water heater, furnace, AC unit, heated mattress and a alot of storage. 2016 FR Rockwood Premier 2516g

CON: set up and break down does suck most of the time (specially when my wife tells
Me Im doing it wrong)!
Amartin453 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #43

I thought about a PUP. The nice ones with slides and bathrooms cost more than the TT I’m getting. Having my own bathroom is big as I’m not into public restrooms.
Rjpoog1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #44

From the manufacturer's perspective, a PUP costs more to make than a small TT but has to sell for less. So obviously the profit is in TTs.

From the dealer's perspective, dealers who sell TTs don't want to bother with PUPs. The profit margin is smaller, and there isn't as much of a market. PUP buyers tend to be newbies and have less money, and therefore generally require more handholding and real advice to sell PUPs with ensuing customer satisfaction. There is specialty knowledge required in the service department to service PUPs properly.

The dealers who specialize in PUPs and A-frames are a joy to do business with. I just wish there were more of them.

From the buyer's and owner's perspective, PUPs are looked down upon at TT dealers, and at many commercial campgrounds. The unspoken "when are you going to get a REAL RV" is noticeable. And the openness and airiness of a PUP is a disadvantage, not an advantage when you are lined up in a row at a commercial campground.

As a result, PUPs tend to go to public campgrounds, where they fit in better, and the sites are better suited to them.

Yes, those who want a private bathroom while camping are not well-served by either PUPs or A-frames.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
From the manufacturer's perspective, a PUP costs more to make than a small TT but has to sell for less. So obviously the profit is in TTs.

From the dealer's perspective, dealers who sell TTs don't want to bother with PUPs. The profit margin is smaller, and there isn't as much of a market. PUP buyers tend to be newbies and have less money, and therefore generally require more handholding and real advice to sell PUPs with ensuing customer satisfaction. There is specialty knowledge required in the service department to service PUPs properly.

The dealers who specialize in PUPs and A-frames are a joy to do business with. I just wish there were more of them.

From the buyer's and owner's perspective, PUPs are looked down upon at TT dealers, and at many commercial campgrounds. The unspoken "when are you going to get a REAL RV" is noticeable. And the openness and airiness of a PUP is a disadvantage, not an advantage when you are lined up in a row at a commercial campground.

As a result, PUPs tend to go to public campgrounds, where they fit in better, and the sites are better suited to them.

Yes, those who want a private bathroom while camping are not well-served by either PUPs or A-frames.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
I guess we are really strange. We went from Tent to Popups to 3 different Travel Trailers with the last one being a 34' with double slideouts. Just bought a new 2019 Forest River Flagstaff 627-D Popup. We seem to enjoy the popups more than the others. Especially now with one with a Bathroom, Shower AC, Furnace and slideout.
dtacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #46
rbq

Spent about 30 years raising 5 kids in a popup for camping. 1 king bed, 1 double & a large dinette that we could all sit around that made into bed. When it rained it got crowded inside. Only had a porta potty that was used when needed. When we bought our 2nd popup that we used for 28 years there were a number of companies to choose from, Starcraft, Coleman (Fleetwood), Viking, Coachman, Jayco, etc. Now many have stopped making them. Forest River is the largest manufacturer now that they have Forest River brand & they have taken over Viking. Aliner has bought out the company they was making the brand that replaced Coleman-Fleetwood. When we bought in 1985 there weren't many of the nice features that are available today. Indoor bathroom, showers, microwaves, larger water tanks, water heaters. (Our water heater was a large pot heated on the stove & we had a 10 gallon water tank. I changed the hand pump water pump to electric. Understandable that prices have gone up with all the added features.
Another advantage to a pop up that we don't enjoy with our Roo that we own now is that of better gas mileage & an easier tow without having a 8'X10' wall towing behind you down the road. Would I go back to a PUP? I doubt it. Enjoy what we have too much & the setup is easier than a PUP. Still enjoy the openness of the Roo on the bunk end like that of a PUP & being able to listen to nature, unless they are noisy neighbors.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #47

We had a couple of old, well used, popups when I was a kid. I had enough experience with them to know I didn't want anything with canvas as part of the structure.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #48

A lot of the younger people I talk to do not want to use the campground facilities. Probably even more so now. They will put off buying a camper until they can buy the TT and TV and be self contained. Most people our age will still use the campground facilities during the day. Some younger folk want nothing to do with state parks unless they have hook ups. That is good for us as we enjoy the state parks so fewer people happier me and shorter lines at the dump station. We had a popup when we first got married and for about 10 years until the kids got bigger we got our first TT.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
We actually found a new one was just curious as to why they were so hard to find. We went from Tent to small popup to big popup to 3 travel trailers now back to a popup. We always felt more like we were "Camping" in a Popup. Plus we like the mobility when it was being towed.
Donít my experience the pop ups are priced stupid high when compared to a full size camper. You are paying a huge premium for ease of towing. Just the same as the tear drop trailers. For what a big pop up costs you can buy a 30 foot travel trailer
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #50

Popups

Quote:
Is it just me or my location but new popups and pretty much non existent in the Charlotte area. Are they just not as popular anymore ? After going through different size trailers we are back in a popup but had a time trying to find a new one.
We traveled around the USA for 6 years after we retired and luved
Popups are not so popular anymore because there is no $ to be made after the initial sale.

Very little maintenance is needed
bernardzargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #51

LIke the large mscreen area

I love the idea of opening up all that beautiful screen area. No travel trailer can compare. That's why we still have a popup but I admit set up is becoming a pain so a hybrid might work in the future. But being short those pop down beds are hard to put back up in a hybrid.

Ken
kenbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #52
hyskore

Send a message via Yahoo to hyskore
Charlotte area??

I live southwest of Charlotte and have a friend that enjoys her pop up when she heads to the campgrounds.
hyskore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbrady View Post
I love the idea of opening up all that beautiful screen area. No travel trailer can compare. That's why we still have a popup but I admit set up is becoming a pain so a hybrid might work in the future. But being short those pop down beds are hard to put back up in a hybrid.

Ken
We had owned two Popups before we moved to a hybrid, which we loved and camped more in it, than our Popups.
We still miss the openness of a hybrid but we're retired now and a regular TT fit our needs better.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #54

Growing up, my parents had popups. Now my wife and I have our first trailer, a FR 1910 ESP PU. Weíve had it just over a year, and we are ready to move up to a TT. Setup is not too hard, but we just lack the room we want inside. So in due time we will move up to a TT.
bundy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #55

In 2013 we had 2 occasions that year, when camping with our pop-up, that the bathrooms at 2 different Campgrounds did work. So the decision was made either we upgrade or we were done camping. We bought a hybrid and loved it. We upgrade a couple years later because of quality issues. But I would highly recommend a hybrid.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #56

We went from a large tent to a Starcraft 2407. It had a slide out dinette and other bells & whistles (no bathroom). The main reason we purchased this model was because it would easily fit in our garage. And ohhh the gas mileage! We purchased it used, in pristine condition and made many upgrades and mods, of course. We had her for 5 years but the last year was a complete hassle with set-up and take-down. We were getting older and the pain of hanging out on the floor for all those hours out-weighted our enjoyment. When we sold her we got more than we paid, popups used to retain their value.
We got a hand-me-down hybrid from my sister that had no slide outs but a bathroom with tub/shower. We spent another few years looking for our dream TT, a 23ikss. Finances prevented us from getting one until this year. They are very hard to come across on the west coast, especially used. Every week looking on the internet paid off, found one in Phoenix area. While visiting family over the Holidays we gave them a down payment and picked her up in February. A 2018 Shamrock 23ikss with everything on our wish list that showed very little sign that it was ever used. We love hybrids for towing and rv storage!
StarCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Is it just me or my location but new popups and pretty much non existent in the Charlotte area. Are they just not as popular anymore ? After going through different size trailers we are back in a popup but had a time trying to find a new one.
You mean looking at certain dealers? Iíve seen that be the case, certain dealers donít carry pop ups. Find one that does. RV show will have some, so you can find those dealers.

If you mean used. It comes and goes. Back when we bought our pup, there were zero on the used market. Took months to finally find one. Now, around here their are tons on the used market.

They are still popular from what Iíve seen, keep looking.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #58

We bought a 2 year old, prob never used jayco 8 sport,2 full mattresses, 6 gal propane hot water heater, 10 gal (I think) fresh tank furnace. I upgraded the vent to the maxair fan w/ remote open/close, in/out, 10 speeds, the sides would cave in on hi! Used it for 3 years and got the 16BHS black label and will say, I do miss the little pup. Towing was so much less stressful, as was maneuvering it into a parking place. But the fruits out way the spoils and a bathroom, ac, and all the amenities I have and have added, I don’t think I would go back to a pup, maybe an Aframe, they are just so expensive. $13,000 for what I have or almost $20,000 for what I wanted with an Aframe.
Danhikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Actually New plenty of used out there. Tom Johnson / Camping World here in Concord, NC and in Marion NC I bought their last new one last week a 2019 Forest River Fleetwood 627-D . Jayco doesn't have any listed for 2020 at all that I can find.
Jayco dealer here said that they aren't making them anylonger
LOLOStrouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLOStrouss View Post
Jayco dealer here said that they aren't making them anylonger
Mentioned in post #18.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote