Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #61

I think you got your answer in all these post. I feel the same as a lot of people in here. I loved my popup when i had it. great to pull, felt more like camping, could store it in the garage. But when it came to trying to cool off the inside while it is 100 deg outside the ac couldn't keep up. set up and tear down was a pain. My last popup was a fleetwood niagara with bathroom and all but 10 years later i paid 4000 more then i paid for my fleetwood and got a whole lot more. 2 ac's, hard walls, less trouble to set up and tear down. So it boils down to, if the dealer can't sell them and people don't buy them then they start going away. Sad but true.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #62
MarcKc

Jayco has not stopped making popups. Smh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
Some brands, like Jayco, have stopped making them. If you can't find a pop-up try looking at some Hybrids.
Lyrd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #63
MarcKc

Tell that to my new jayco popup. [emoji849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, Jayco stopped making Popups. This would indicate that if one of the largest popup manufacturers discontinued manufacturering them, then it's no longer profitable or not enough sales.
It seems that the rise in popularity of trailer lines like No Boundaries and Geo/E Pro, is what the public is preferring, especially younger buyers.
Lyrd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrd44 View Post
Jayco has not stopped making popups. Smh.
Show me where they are on Jayco's website, cause I don't see them listed:

https://www.jayco.com/about/jayco-di...oC0ZYQAvD_BwE#

And then there's this article:

https://www.rvtravel.com/jayco-halts...ding-trailers/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #65

Heading into our 8th summer with our 2009 Rockwood Freedom pop up and still love it. I do daydream of a larger hard panel trailer but that would involve a bigger tow vehicle (we currently have a Honda Pilot). The Honda towed the pop up through the Canadian Rockies with ease and the trailer takes up half my garage for 50 weeks of the year.
We love sleeping in the pop up but when it’s cold out, it’s a cold sleep and the early morning bathroom breaks do get tiring; why can’t kids go to the bathroom at the same time?!
I am going to do some research on some of the lightweight TT’s mentioned in this string.
Cheers
daggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #66

In 2016 I purchased a Forest River Palomino 1500 SS for my half ton pickup. I added a leaf spring to each side and I tow a 12 ft boat with 15 hp motor. I spend anywhere from 5 weeks in Montana each year in it. It has a refrig, 2 burner stove, microwave, shower, toilet, force air heater, and I just love it. Just for me, no dogs, cats or other persons.
It is not exactly a "tent trailer", but the roof extends up and down with four electric lifts.
This is all on a 2008 Tundra long bed with 76,000 miles on it and in almost brand new condition. Gas mileage sucks because I drive too fast through Nevada and Idaho, if I slowed down I would be in mid to high teens, but I get a miserable 12 MPG when loaded with food, water and driving mostly up hill. I take two days to get to West Yellowstone. I stop in Jackpot at 415 miles, and Idaho Falls because I love to stay next to the Falls and shop at their (First ever) Winco for my groceries.
Other than that I camp at the Fish Camp at Crowley Lake for 2 weeks, Lake Davis and/or Frenchman Lake about another 4 weeks per year.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
Is it just me or my location but new popups and pretty much non existent in the Charlotte area. Are they just not as popular anymore ? After going through different size trailers we are back in a popup but had a time trying to find a new one.
I heard that because of the manufacturing costs jayco and forest river are no longer making them hard sides are cheaper to make
We have a 1996 jayco popup that’s still in mint condition
We’ve upgraded twice but the grandkids love the little one when we take them
Jayco has superior quality!! We own 3 different models now!!
Would not buy another brand
Marge221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #68
Canadian Member

We had a 1999 Coleman with a 10’ box for several years and enjoyed it when we could use it. The manual lift mechanism stopped working one Spring and we lost the entire season trying to locate replacement parts since Coleman had long since stopped manufacturing the parts. We are a family of 5 and the biggest cons for us were a lack of storage and refrigerator space. We had to take 2 or 3 coolers to supplement the tiny 3-way refrigerator. The Roo hybrid was a better fit for us but problematic bed door seals pushed us to move to a regular TT.

I recall that when we were looking to move up from the Coleman, its wasn’t a lot more to buy a new hybrid vs. a new high wall popup.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #69

I'm with most people's thoughts on here in that pop-ups aren't as popular anymore because 1. they aren't really any cheaper than a similar sized (popped up lenght) than a traditional trailer, especially new. 2. Many of the newer, smaller sized trailers don't weigh a whole lot more than a pop up can. Especially if that pop up is a high wall, with a slide. Then you add to that the fact that most families now have a bigger SUV or half ton truck (that can pull anything according to the commercials) most modern families have more capable vehicles to pull a good sized trailer. Not saying they are pulling correctly, just stating this guys opinion...

We went from a tent, to a pop up, and as a kid, my family had the same path from a tent, to a pop up, then another, then trailer, and another, then a fifth wheel. One thing I personally like about a pop up is the bang for buck in sleeping capacity. They really are hard to beat, and you can get A/C in one, which makes it like tent camping, but off the ground and with some shelter. Pop ups really are great started campers, and they can be easily stored and towed. We loved our time in one, and we probably would still have ours, if it wasn't such a chore to pop it up while watching 2 kids under 10, and 2 dogs. That took the fun out of camping, and we wanted something quicker / easier to setup, so I could start drinking my beer quicker. LOL.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge221 View Post
I heard that because of the manufacturing costs jayco and forest river are no longer making them hard sides are cheaper to make
Where did you hear that Forest River no longer makes popups? [emoji848]
Their Rockwood and Flagstaff divisions have never stopped making Popups and A-frames. Their Coachmen division also has continued making Clipper and Viking popups.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/brand...mping-trailers
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #71

We love our popup. Got it last summer. A 2020 Rockwood Premier 2514g. The dealership had quite a few popups on the lot and I noticed that they all sold by mid summer. Probably could have gotten a small TT for the same price but we love all the room in this thing. We were tenters before that. Had a dodge caravan when we got it and we were right at the maximum tow weight limit (3500 lbs) but it was doable. Just got a new Ram 1500 classic 5.7L Hemi V8. Probably won't even notice the camper behind that. Lol. We could trade in the pup for something hard sided but we like the pup because it feels more like camping. It still has all the creature comforts like slide out dinette, king and queen heated mattresses, stove, furnace, 3way fridge, outdoor shower, bbq, power winch, 2 propane tanks, 2 batteries, solar, etc etc. Could have gotten a model with a bathroom and shower but didn't want it. No A/C but we live in Nova Scotia!! We're relatively young and maybe as we get older, we'll want a TT. For now, we love the pup. Easy to tow. Easy to store. Tons of room. Feels like camping still. Personal preference I spose.
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #72

That V-8 hemi ought to do the trick after the minivan. We have a 2019 2514g that we pull with our Toyota Sienna. It does OK, but am looking for something with a little more muscle like a pickup or a large SUV. No hurry due to campground restrictions and such. By all accounts PUPs are still popular around here.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #73

Thumbs up Tent trailers made in America

Hi this is your Canadian cousin Jeff. My wife and i had a 2006 Viking tent trailer for 11 years that we loved. Camped across Canada and the US with 4 kids and a dog. Had to replace it in 2018 due to damage to the roof and we wanted another until we could get a bigger vehicle and trailer. Most Tent trailers made are still made in America, i think Illinois but could be wrong.
Anyway ForestRiver has two quality tent trailer models under Camping Trailers. The Rockwood and Flagstaff which are identical except for color selection. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/camping-trailers

We bought the Flagstaff 228D with the slide out kitchen which is a little more work than the smaller Viking was but the floor space is wonderful for grandkids and dog and staying married while camping

I guess its cheaper to make hard walled campers but towing and airing out after a few weeks of camping seems like a challenge in a hard wall camper. Still love my tent trailer and will trade up to Hybrid with tent ends when and if i can still get them down the road.
Stay safe my friends,
Jeff from Canada
JayTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #74

Easy to buy and easy to pull.
Too hot, too cold and too loud or they would be more popular.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #75

Just came back from our 1st trip in it. We loved it. The weather was crazy ran the Air during the day and furnace at night. Popups sure have came a long way since our last one. Too cold or too hot was not an issue. Obviously the Bathroom / Shower was not as convenient as our travel trailer but still worked fine. The room it has is very nice and it towed fantastic. Oh and the heated mattresses worked great. Happy with the purchase. Obviously could have went back to a TT for the price but the size TT we could pull with a Tacoma or a Highlander would have been tiny compared to this popup.
dtacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #76

We love ours even though we don't get to use it much.
We bought a popup because it is easy to store. Easy to pull.
Toothie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post

Actually ours has a bathroom and shower inside and outside shower, AC a Furnace and heated mattresses, Full size King and Queen Beds. A slide out with wrap around dinette. Set up takes less than 10 minutes. Also has an enclosed screen room. Definitely not like our previous Popups years ago. Our last camper was a 34' with 2 slide outs Oh it was nice just hated pulling it. Guess it's personal preference.
This is the setup that we're looking at! We're looking at the Rockwood Freedom 2716F. We're just husband & I & 3 large dogs. Husband is retired & I'm shortly behind him with 1 year 10 months to go & we want to start using ours more to get out & see our beautiful country!
tronaiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #78

Hard Side

When I downsized to a pop-up, I went with an A-frame for the hard sides (Rockwood A192HW). It doesn't have the kind of space the Freedom 2716F has, of course, but many of the areas I like to camp in have bears. And bears and canvas are NOT a good mix. Some campgrounds in bear country won't even let you in.
drkaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #79

tronaiv,

as someone who owned a popup for 5 years we graduated to a hybrid and have had it now since summer of 2014. We have camped in it for up to 3 months at a time although now we average about 6 weeks in the winter going south.

The popup was OK, but it took over an hour to unpack and setup, and almost twice that to shut-down and pack. Yes it was easy to tow and stow, but the hybrid trailer is much more functional and at 5,000# loaded not all that bad to tow. We do spend a lot of time outside using the 13 foot awning for sun/rain protection that not too many popups have.

The hybrid has the tent setup we like to sleep in as opposed to hard sided trailer, but takes 15 minutes to setup and maybe 30 minutes to takes down and get ready to go. Plus it has more storage space, a bigger refrigerator and a fully functional bathroom which as we got older we appreciate more.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:40 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkaj1 View Post
When I downsized to a pop-up, I went with an A-frame for the hard sides (Rockwood A192HW). It doesn't have the kind of space the Freedom 2716F has, of course, but many of the areas I like to camp in have bears. And bears and canvas are NOT a good mix. Some campgrounds in bear country won't even let you in.
Do you have any links to cases where Popups have had bears tear into them?
In Yellowstone, only one campground(that allows RVs)has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers. That is Fishing Bridge campground. All the other major campgrounds there, allow soft-sided campers. Madison, Grant, Canyon, Mammoth, Bridge Bay and Norris all allow soft-sided campers.