Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Power winch Electrical Gremlins

Good day All,

Well...one week after popping up ( and down) our 425D with the power winch, it has decided not to cooperate this morning. The fuse on the battery is good, as is the 60A fuse on the motor...battery is charged, and camper is plugged into 110V. Winch refuses to work.

I fail to see how/why the winch motor would die from one weekend to the next, but this seems to be the most plausible explanation. So before I drag it to the dealer for repair, has anyone else experienced winch power issues?

Cheers,

G.
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

I had a similar intermittent issue with my winch. When it would play dead I would tap the motor with a hammer and it would start working again. Probably a bad spot on the armature. I finally replaced it for rear of total failure. You might also check all connections as they can work loose over time and cause problems.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Need to post the year of the trailer and whether or not you have an old style (grease inside cover) winch or new style (no grease inside housing).

But if you have an older model (grease), you might want to pull the winch cover and check the voltage at the switch connections.

Also, check the switches. The little buttons on the limit switches that are pushed in by the plate (lower limit) or a bolt head on the plate (upper limit switch) can sometimes be jammed into the housing. If the button, on the upper limit switch, is jammed into the housing, it will not allow the winch to power the roof up.

Newer model is probably similar, but don't know for sure.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the help folks. After confirming that I had 12V at the limit switches and at the motor, but it still wasn't working, I falsely assumed that the motor was toast. I thad removed the motor and before I hopped into the car to get a replacement, I placed the motor contacts directly across the battery...it worked! So...should have thought of this initially...bad ground. It works like a charm again.

By the way, my 425D is a 2010 so it has the really sloppy grease bucket wrapped around the worm gear of the motor...not a fun place to be mucking around!

Thanks for hearing me out and offering friendly advice folks...greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

G.
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, power