Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Power Winch removal, install manual winch

I have a 2017 Forest River 206 Mac LTD with a power winch. I want to take the power winch out and put in a manual winch. Can anybody link me to parts and instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanewnanew View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River 206 Mac LTD with a power winch. I want to take the power winch out and put in a manual winch. Can anybody link me to parts and instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
I have a 2021 2318g popup and my power winch motor is so loud raising the top. I know the feeling. Hope 1 day the motor doesn't give out and leave the top stuck open. Manual would take out the concern of a motor getting stuck/not working. I considered using a drill on the side nut to raise it but looks like the nut is just tack welded on...ughhh
Blade59rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

The forum has a very knowledgable group with these types of rigs whom I'm sure will be able to answer your question. I have a question why replace the power winch with a manual? Can't the power winch be operated in a manual mode like when there is a failure? Just wondering.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The forum has a very knowledgable group with these types of rigs whom I'm sure will be able to answer your question. I have a question why replace the power winch with a manual? Can't the power winch be operated in a manual mode like when there is a failure? Just wondering.
It can as long as the motor doesn't seize up. But after looking at mine(2021 model) that nut used for manual operation is only tacked on so if that were to break cranking it up or down then you are stuck with no way of getting the top closed.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I'm assuming that when a manual crank system is put in that somehow the gear ratio is changed, because right now, even with a power drill, it takes forever when you have to do it manually. Lord help you if you have to actually hand crank a non functioning power winch system.

And as mentioned above, when the power winch is working it's annoyingly loud and a battery drain. There are also rickety screws that affect the raising/lowering height. Mine must move when we tow because you never know exactly where the power winch will end. So then you remove the cover (4 screws), turn the rickety screw, replace the cover, and it happens all over again on your next trip. I should've recognized the bent power winch cover as a sign that the previous owner just hated the thing (enough to bend hard plastic), probably why he sold the camper.

Are those sufficient reasons as why I want to replace it ?
Old 03-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #6

[QUOTE=nanewnanew;2522378]I have a 2017 Forest River 206 Mac LTD with a power winch. I want to take the power winch out and put in a manual winch. Can anybody link me to parts and instructions on how to.
Found this should be a direct bolt on replacement! May do this for mine as well. Hope it helps ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210323-124114_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	250297  
Old 03-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Blade59rt;2524068]
Quote:
I have a 2017 Forest River 206 Mac LTD with a power winch. I want to take the power winch out and put in a manual winch. Can anybody link me to parts and instructions on how to.
Found this should be a direct bolt on replacement! May do this for mine as well. Hope it helps ya!
Thanks. I ordered one from a (different) company, we'll see.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:21 AM   #8

[QUOTE=nanewnanew;2524825]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade59rt View Post

Thanks. I ordered one from a (different) company, we'll see.
Ok sounds good, let me know how it goes? Hopefully it's a direct bolt on and no more worries of our crappy electric motors(lol). Thanks Dave
Old 06-16-2021, 06:19 AM   #9

Any updates on how this went? I'm about to order the parts to do this directly from Goshen Stamping (a bit cheaper than eBay). I REALLY hate my electric winch.
ddemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Blade59rt;2524068]
Quote:
I have a 2017 Forest River 206 Mac LTD with a power winch. I want to take the power winch out and put in a manual winch. Can anybody link me to parts and instructions on how to.
That winch in your link looks like what i have on my 2318g. Mine came with a manual winch not a electric one. Also i do use a makita 18v drill to raise my roof, so far no problems. But when i get real close to full up i use the crank handle to finish raising it to make sure i don't pull out the tension guide wire.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemone View Post
Any updates on how this went? I'm about to order the parts to do this directly from Goshen Stamping (a bit cheaper than eBay). I REALLY hate my electric winch.
I ordered the replacement parts and they are sitting in my garage, I haven't done the replacement but I want to. I'm just raising/lowering it most of the way and then using a drill, as others have mentioned. One more issue, even an askew glance, from the Power Winch and I'm gonna pull it. Probably.
nanewnanew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, power