RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

Powerwinch will not lift roof

Troubles at campground this week and also now at home.
Powerwinch model P5500
Roof lifts several inches then a pop/noise/click and nothing. Wait a while try again and a few more inches. Sounds as if there is no juice at some points.
Winch/motor was replaced a couple of years ago and we bought a brand new battery while on vacation this week so those should not be the issue.
Down is not a problem at all.
Hubby is grabbing a volt meter at the moment as we want to air our camper now we are home.

Any hints or tips?
Thx!
V
hopperv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Could be a power winch virus going around because my Powerwinch p30001 failed me at a campsite a day ago and I just registered here for Forest River Forums to search for a new motor. It failed when one corner latch was still engaged (Stupid) and it lifted about 3 inches and stalled. Your problem differs in that yours will run and will go down but not up any higher than a few inches. I would check to see if your canvas is caught up in one spot. See if one corner of your top is stopped lower than the other 3. Also check the cable to see if there is a hang up. Careful not to overload the motor or you could knock out your circuit breaker on your battery post or the damn motor. Wish it had a reset button but no, gotta buy a new part. Good luck.
Kiwandacoasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

Did either of you figure out the problem?
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

I had the old style winch motor which had the same symptoms as described by the OP - it was replaced with the P5500 motor and I had no issues (though the P5500 motor was very loud) - I have since moved on to a Hybrid trailer, so no longer have the popup.

have not heard of the P5500 motor having this problem. Maybe you should talk to Carefree, the manufacturer.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Four sources of problems with winch motors:
1. Limit switches may be out of adjustment and/or broken...does not seem to apply in this case.
2. Toggle switch (up/down switch) can be corroded or have a poor connection. Possible in this case. You could test with a "jumper wire" that has a spade connector on each end. Push the jumper into the "middle" wire as they mount to the toggle switch. "Sort of" push the jumper into the "lift" wire and see if it runs continuously. Don't make the connection in the lift wire completely so you can easily pull the wire and disconnect the lift. If that works, replace the switch.
3. Check ALL wiring connections on all relays and other connections related to the winch. Especially check connections on wires that double-up on a single lug. The little doubling clips on those connections can break easily. These things rely on crimp-on connectors...check all connections for corrosion and/or a broken wire.
4. Replace the relays. The are commonly available from Amazon. Just use the numbers, etc. on the relay to buy replacements and install them.

My limit switch broke, and one relay failed. Disabled the limit switch and replaced the relay. Things work great now.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, power, roo, roof