Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Problem with overhead lights Solved

I have a 2006 256HW. The overhead lights dont work on battery or when I have it on AC power. While I have it unplugged from AC, everything on the bottom part of the camper works on battery; the fridge will turn on DC, the water pump comes on, the stereo works, an outside light next to the door works, etc. However, the ligts and exhaust fan in the ceiling are dead. There is a yellow and white wire that goes up thru the canvas and into a hole in the ceiling. It looks ok, no obvious problems with it, but i'm guessing that's the problem somehow. If I plug the AC power back in, still no lights.

Any suggestions on how to test this? Where can I put a meter and test this to see if i'm getting power to the ceiling stuff? I pulled the converter out of the wall and took a look at the wires (AC and DC) behind it and everything "looks" ok from what I can tell. I didnt see anything loose or disconnected. I double checked where the yellow and white wires connect to the converter and they seem tight and ok.

Any thoughts? We're leaving for a camping trip in seven days so I have time to get it to a dealer, but i'd rather try to fix this myself and save the bucks.

thanks,

fisk
fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #2

The lights are always DC, the way your system works is that AC powers the Converter which in turn powers the DC side and recharges the Battery. I would start by pulling each of the DC fuses and verifying that are seated correctly and good, since you have some DC power you can then test at the light socket, test it with the tester in DC mode.

Let us know what you find.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Where the yellow and white wire go in to the ceiling, remove the closest light fixture and see if they are there. Check for 12 volts at the fixture. I assume each fixture has it's own switch. If no power there, go back to the yellow and white wire at the converter, and check for power there. If you have it on one end, and not the other, it is broke somewhere.

Of course, do as camper Lucy suggested, verify your fuses first, that's the easiest.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention in my original post that pulling the fuses and testing them was the first thing I did.

So the lights are powered by DC power? When disconected from AC power, the lights are powered by the battery, and when the AC is connected, the AC power is converted to DC and that powers the lights?

Either way, I guess it doesnt matter. The lights aren't working so the problem has to be the yellow/white wire going to the ceiling. I didnt see a way to remove a light fixture, but i'm sure it exists. I'm guessing a screwdriver will pop off the outer cover..... I hope... lol

fisk
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

pop the cover off, remove the bulb and you can test right in the bulb socket, if you have power it is the bulb, if you have no power then test where the wire attaches to the converter, but that seems odd to me as I would expect that wire to run back to the fuse panel not the converter?
You may also want to check the wires on the back of the light fixture if there is no power, there should be a screw under the lens to remove the fixture from the ceiling.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Be a good time to invest in a digital volt ohm meter.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

Maybe i'm confusing the fuse panel and the converter. I thought they were the same thing. I pulled the fuse panel, which has AC breakers, and several fuses all in one unit. I can see where the large 30amp wire comes in, and a few dozen other wires are connected to it. I just assumed that was also the converter.

Either way, I can see where the yellow/white wire comes out of the back of this unit and heads up to the ceiling.

I'll start testing there and also the light fixtures themselves.

thanks again for the help.

fisk
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk
Maybe i'm confusing the fuse panel and the converter. I thought they were the same thing. I pulled the fuse panel, which has AC breakers, and several fuses all in one unit. I can see where the large 30amp wire comes in, and a few dozen other wires are connected to it. I just assumed that was also the converter.

Either way, I can see where the yellow/white wire comes out of the back of this unit and heads up to the ceiling.

fisk
Most likely fuse panel and converter are the same unit.
If its a wfco unit they are the same.
The converter is mounted within the back of the housing.
You battery wires should run right into unit as well.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #9

I believe your converter will be separate, but close by the panel and look something like this. Or maybe not? Pop Up you probably have the lower picture.

ConvertersWF-9845, WF-9845 45 Amp Power Converter
Attached Images

2023 Road Glide ST
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk View Post

fisk
Quick check, when you power up the unit does the fan in the fuse box (which is your converter) run?
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #11

There is a little switch .. either on peripheral of the roof .. or something that you fold up ..like the sink/stove unit that has stuck to the closed position -making the system think the interiors should be off as not to start a fire. Find the switch .. its like a pushbutton thingy .. give it a couple of pushes .. and dollars to donuts you will have light ...
trust me .. its in no way a converter issue ..

d-mo
Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #12

I found the problem. Oh, and D-mo, you were correct....

The yellow wire on the bottom had been pulled off and disappeared down the hole. I didnt know it was there so I didnt realize something was missing. I finally found it by pulling out a drawer and looking behind it and seeing the wire hanging down. I fed it back thru the hole and plugged it back in and it all worked. It looks like a little kill switch that turns off the lights when the bed is pushed in.

I suppose the good part of this is I now have a much better understanding of how the electrical system works in my pop-up... lol

Thanks for all the help everyone.

fisk
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #13

All is good ... glad you found the problem .. usually stuff like this is related to simple stuff .. not the catastrophic failures ... thanks for following up.

d-mo