RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #21

I'm going to resurrect this slightly old thread for my related questions. My 6 month old trailer has dual 30lb tanks, so I bought the kit with two sensors and the remote.

When the sensors came in the mail, I installed them and set up the app on my phone. The sensor on the driver's side tank showed full, while the passenger side showed 3%. This seemed correct to me at the time because we had just returned from a trip and had only used that one tank.

Took the tank to have it refilled a few days later, and found that the sensor was still reading 3%. The tank is clearly full, as it weighs considerably more than it did prior to filling.

I have messed around quite a bit with it since then. I have cleaned the tank bottom (several times), even though it's pretty new and doesn't have any rust or loose paint. I have cleaned and re-greased and reinstalled the sensor (several times) and still see the same result.

I tried swapping the sensors between tanks, and the issue stayed with the passenger side tank. In other words, both sensors report that the driver's side tank is full, and both sensors report that the passenger side tank is nearly empty.

Any idea what might cause that? Could that tank be defective somehow?

On a related note, I really like the notifications on my phone that tell me when the level is below a threshold amount - I think it defaults to 20%. But is there any way to acknowledge that message, and not have it continuously reminding me? I *know* that one of the tanks is empty. I am using the other one now. It's going to *stay* empty until I get around to filling both of them.... I don't need to be notified every 30 minutes that one tank is empty....

Thanks!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
WOW! Too rich for my blood just to check the level of propane. Why cant you use the water trick? Easier and cheaper.
https://youtu.be/v4_m3pKhulI

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #23

I find no need as the switch over regulator tells me when one is empty and the other is full .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
WOW! Too rich for my blood just to check the level of propane. Why cant you use the water trick? Easier and cheaper.
https://youtu.be/v4_m3pKhulI
For whatever reason, propane level was the ONE thing that my wife picked to freak out about. She was having me check multiple times per day, and even woke me up a couple of times to check in the middle of the night when she thought that the furnace should have turned on.

I didn't watch the video, but I always checked with a glass of warm water and my IR thermometer - pour the water down the side of the tank and then hit it with the thermometer. During the winter it is not unusual to see a 30-40 degree difference when it gets to the liquid level.

70 bucks was a small price to pay for an uninterrupted night of sleep.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
For whatever reason, propane level was the ONE thing that my wife picked to freak out about. She was having me check multiple times per day, and even woke me up a couple of times to check in the middle of the night when she thought that the furnace should have turned on.

I didn't watch the video, but I always checked with a glass of warm water and my IR thermometer - pour the water down the side of the tank and then hit it with the thermometer. During the winter it is not unusual to see a 30-40 degree difference when it gets to the liquid level.

70 bucks was a small price to pay for an uninterrupted night of sleep.
The automatic change-over regulator takes all the guessing out of the running out of propane equation... IF... and I say IF... you look at it.

If one tank runs out in the middle of the night... it simply switches over.
Next morning, you look at the regulator and if it's changed from green to red, you need to get the empty filled. It really is that simple... BUT... you have to look at it.

Really it is NO different than looking at an app on your phone to see what the level is. The change-over indicator that comes from the factory tells you the same thing (empty tank) for free, as does a hundred dollar gizmo.

Me or the DW have never lost a minutes sleep over it because it.. well.. it simply works!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The automatic change-over regulator takes all the guessing out of the running out of propane equation... IF... and I say IF... you look at it.

If one tank runs out in the middle of the night... it simply switches over.
Next morning, you look at the regulator and if it's changed from green to red, you need to get the empty filled. It really is that simple... BUT... you have to look at it.

Really it is NO different than looking at an app on your phone to see what the level is. The change-over indicator that comes from the factory tells you the same thing (empty tank) for free, as does a hundred dollar gizmo.

Me or the DW have never lost a minutes sleep over it because it.. well.. it simply works!
I know that this is mostly true, but it really does require you to look at the regulator on a regular cadence - otherwise, you have no idea *when* it changed. You just know that one is empty, and one is not (yet). With the sensor that is working, it pushed a notification to my cell phone when the level got to 20% (and then 10%, 5%, 3%, etc). I can pick up my phone and see in a few seconds, from inside the trailer, that my driver's side tank is half empty - Or, I can go outside, lift the tank cover off, and see that the regulator hasn't turned red yet, so there must be gas left in that one.

And regardless of all of that, I have already bought the device, and it is certainly neither the most expensive nor least expensive "toy" that I have bought for my trailer. I was really hoping for some feedback from those who also own the sensors. Thanks for your input, though.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
Old Enough to Know Better

Qwkynuf
My guess would be since it uses "sonar" and it seemed to work on the other tank there must be a slight difference in the thickness of the tank bottoms. Enough that it interferes with the signal. There is a replacement valve/gauge combo that uses a float. You might want to look into that and return the sonar system.
Good luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I know that this is mostly true, but it really does require you to look at the regulator on a regular cadence - otherwise, you have no idea *when* it changed. You just know that one is empty, and one is not (yet). With the sensor that is working, it pushed a notification to my cell phone when the level got to 20% (and then 10%, 5%, 3%, etc). I can pick up my phone and see in a few seconds, from inside the trailer, that my driver's side tank is half empty - Or, I can go outside, lift the tank cover off, and see that the regulator hasn't turned red yet, so there must be gas left in that one.

And regardless of all of that, I have already bought the device, and it is certainly neither the most expensive nor least expensive "toy" that I have bought for my trailer. I was really hoping for some feedback from those who also own the sensors. Thanks for your input, though.
You are right and I suppose this is really the wave of the future with gizmos and apps.

Next will be removing the fuel gauges from our cars and trucks. (because you have to look at those too) Instead of glancing at them periodically so you know when you are close to empty... you'll get a text. And yes... I know the FordPass app already kind of does this.

How did we ever get along...

Old 04-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You are right and I suppose this is really the wave of the future with gizmos and apps.

Next will be removing the fuel gauges from our cars and trucks. (because you have to look at those too) Instead of glancing at them periodically so you know when you are close to empty... you'll get a text. And yes... I know the FordPass app already kind of does this.

How did we ever get along...
What the heck kind of car do you drive that requires you to get out and open a cover on one end in order to see your gas gauge???

A better analogy might be the old '72 F250 that we used to have. It had dual gas tanks, with a valve on the floor next to the driver's door. Why would you need a gas gauge on the dash when you can just reach down and switch tanks when one tank runs out?

Look - I'm not criticizing your system, clearly it works for you. But the auto-switching regulator does *not* show you how much propane you have. It only shows whether the primary tank has gone empty. If that suits your needs, great. But we are obviously trying to solve two different problems.

If you don't use this system, and your only input is to criticize my decision to use it, would you please bow out of this thread so that I can try to get my questions answered without getting too sidetracked? Please?

Old 04-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #30

I don't use enough propane in a typical camping season for me to even consider getting a monitor system for it....I just rely on the auto cross over if one tank runs out I suppose if your burning thru propane at a fast clip it would be beneficial
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
What the heck kind of car do you drive that requires you to get out and open a cover on one end in order to see your gas gauge???

A better analogy might be the old '72 F250 that we used to have. It had dual gas tanks, with a valve on the floor next to the driver's door. Why would you need a gas gauge on the dash when you can just reach down and switch tanks when one tank runs out?

Look - I'm not criticizing your system, clearly it works for you. But the auto-switching regulator does *not* show you how much propane you have. It only shows whether the primary tank has gone empty. If that suits your needs, great. But we are obviously trying to solve two different problems.

If you don't use this system, and your only input is to criticize my decision to use it, would you please bow out of this thread so that I can try to get my questions answered without getting too sidetracked? Please?
I will.
There was never a single word of criticism of you or your 'system' in my posts.
You can't even understand when I'm agreeing with what you are trying to do.
Goodbye.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I don't use enough propane in a typical camping season for me to even consider getting a monitor system for it....I just rely on the auto cross over if one tank runs out I suppose if your burning thru propane at a fast clip it would be beneficial
As I said above, it is something my wife stresses about. Telling her it is not a problem doesn't help. Showing her that it has never been a problem hasn't helped. Giving her a tool where she can easily see for herself *has* helped.

I really don't understand the need to come into a thread about a propane monitor to respond to a question posted about a propane monitor, just to say that I don't need the monitor that I already own. Why???

Old 04-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #33
Just as confused as you

Quote:
As I said above, it is something my wife stresses about. Telling her it is not a problem doesn't help. Showing her that it has never been a problem hasn't helped. Giving her a tool where she can easily see for herself *has* helped.

I really don't understand the need to come into a thread about a propane monitor to respond to a question posted about a propane monitor, just to say that I don't need the monitor that I already own. Why???
A little touchy are we? This is a forum. As with all forums you will get all kinds of replies. Chill out! Don't take it personal.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A little touchy are we? This is a forum. As with all forums you will get all kinds of replies. Chill out! Don't take it personal.
I admit that I am frustrated. I have a question about a specific thing related to my camper. Instead of starting a brand-new thread, I SEARCHED and found a thread related to my question, and added my question to it.

I guess I should have just started yet another gas vs diesel thread instead.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #35

Quote:

I guess I should have just started yet another gas vs diesel thread instead.
NOW we're talkin' . . .!!!!

FWIW, I agree with you. It's one thing to know that one propane tank is empty and you're using the other, it's another (and much more helpful thing) to know how much is in the tank at any given time!

Happy Wife, Happy Life . . .
Old 04-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #36

From your comments (Qwkynuf), the new sensors are not reading the one tank correctly. So, is it the tank, or the sensor system? Personally, I would of called the tech support of the manufacturer first, to seek help.
I have several friends who have similar propane tank sensors. They never seem to be really accurate, but are just in the ball park. Which, for your purposes, should suffice. We all understand going above and beyond to make a spouse more at ease
Myself, I check the switchover indicator every day, when I know it's about time. If I'm trying to figure out how many more days I have left of propane, I loosen the tie down mechanisms and use the old 'how heavy is it' method.
And we always have a separate 20lb bottle (for our disko cooker), that we could use in an emergency. That might help appease your spouse's fear of running out of propane also.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #37

Its probably best to contact the manufacturer and ask them.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
From your comments (Qwkynuf), the new sensors are not reading the one tank correctly. So, is it the tank, or the sensor system? Personally, I would of called the tech support of the manufacturer first, to seek help.
I have several friends who have similar propane tank sensors. They never seem to be really accurate, but are just in the ball park. Which, for your purposes, should suffice. We all understand going above and beyond to make a spouse more at ease
Myself, I check the switchover indicator every day, when I know it's about time. If I'm trying to figure out how many more days I have left of propane, I loosen the tie down mechanisms and use the old 'how heavy is it' method.
And we always have a separate 20lb bottle (for our disko cooker), that we could use in an emergency. That might help appease your spouse's fear of running out of propane also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Its probably best to contact the manufacturer and ask them.
See, this is my question, and why I was asking if anyone else had run into something similar. I *think* it has to be the tank. I have tried both sensors on both tanks, and I get the same results every time.

If we call them "sensor 1" and "sensor 2", and call the tanks "D" for driver and "P" for passenger, then immediately after filling both tanks, I saw the following:

Sensor 1 on D = reads 100%
Sensor 2 on P = reads 3%

Switched them

Sensor 2 on D = reads 100%
Sensor 1 on P = reads 3%

The docs say that being level is important. I get the same results with the tanks mounted on the tongue, with them sitting on my tailgate, and with them sitting on the ground. I did not try switching the bottle positions on the tongue (mostly because I just now thought of it), but I don't think it will make a difference because I saw no change when I tested both off of the trailer.

But I can't think what could be wrong with a tank - especially a brand new one that could interfere with the "sonar" capability, unless the float fell off of the OPD or something. I suppose I could go turn the tank upside down and see if I can hear anything moving in there...

Old 04-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #39

That sounds like a good idea.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #40
Bob414

My 2 cents, Try a complete power down/shutdown/uninstall, reinstall app, and re-installing one sensor at a time.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane