Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Putting an A/C unit on a Flagstaff 228

Does anyone have any information as to where to place an A/C unit on the roof of a 2008 Flagstaff 228. Or even if someone has one installed would you be willing to give me the measurements off all the sides and I can line my template up accordingly. I know these units can handle an A/C unit and have some supports already built into the roof/ceiling and just for precautionary reasons I don't want to chop the roof an end up cutting through a support. Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
cmpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpn View Post
Does anyone have any information as to where to place an A/C unit on the roof of a 2008 Flagstaff 228. Or even if someone has one installed would you be willing to give me the measurements off all the sides and I can line my template up accordingly. I know these units can handle an A/C unit and have some supports already built into the roof/ceiling and just for precautionary reasons I don't want to chop the roof an end up cutting through a support. Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I just did a search on Google for your trailer with AC on the roof. The pictures I saw had the AC unit exacly square on the roof. Take a look around but I think tbeing a popup that should be the best in related to weight distribultion.

You may want to call Forest River technical about the structure beams if any.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Contacted Forest River and it they were very helpful in providing information. Basically there is a screw in toward the middle of the ceiling (a little more toward the back and in the center, kind of over teh axle). You take that screw out, drill up and through the roof and that marks the center of the whole that needs to be routed.
They are sending explicit instructions via email...
Again thanks for the quick response and I will post back in week or so to let you know how I made out.
cmpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #4

Glad you were able to get a clear answer. I was going to say that the placement depends on several factors. One factor is clearance inside when the top is down. On my Rockwood PUP the AC unit was not in the center for this reason.

Good luck with your install.

Ray
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #5

cmpn,

Click on the diagram.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, flagstaff, tent camper, modifications