Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Questions re 2001 Rockwood Premier 1904

Hello, good folks,
We bought this nifty rig but have questions regarding it use. It is equipped with a heater, hot water heater, frig, and the sink has knobs like I have in my house. I did get the generic Rockwood owner's manual but it didn't answer everything.
First, I have only a 220 plug on the unit. The seller gave me a 110 adapter. Is this typical?
Next, we found the 110 - 12 volt switch with a numbered knob on top. I think that is for the frig. But how do we make the frig work off of propane?
And we filled the water tank, a little spilled out of what I call a female receptor. We're not sure how to drain it, or how to turn the water on.
Thanks in advance. Happy camping!
Sue and Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Team

I doubt it has a 220v plug, on a popup.
It may be a 30 amp 120v plug though.
Probably gave you a 30 to 20 amp adapter so you can plug it in at home.
Post a pic of the plug so we can see what you're talking about.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #3

for the fridge, get the model number off of it and then goggle that for the fridge manual. that will be more specific info for how to operate the fridge.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #4

Okay, two questions answered, one to go. Even with 110 power, the water doesn't flow. we can hear a motor working. Any idea how to drain the tank?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Harry View Post
Okay, two questions answered, one to go. Even with 110 power, the water doesn't flow. we can hear a motor working. Any idea how to drain the tank?
Did you turn on the water pump switch? You'd hear it, if you're not getting water, maybe a stuck pump.

2021 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG
2016 RAM 3500 DRW
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

We don't see a water pump switch. But when the power is on, we can hear the water system and it seems to vibrate.

Also, any idea how to drain the fresh water tank without running through the pipes?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #7

Forgive me, I'm not used to writing on this thread. Someone asked if we are sure there is water in it. We put a little over 6 gallons of bleach water in it, and a little bit leaked out of what looks like a female hose connection. No way did 6 gallons leak out, so it has to have water.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #8

Your plumbing is really quite simple. There is a water tank, usually underneath the floor. On some older pop-ups, the water tank can be in a cabinet inside the body. There will be a drain (usually a plastic valve) on the water tank, either on the bottom or close to the bottom on one side. A small water tank inside a cabinet above the floor might not have a drain.

If you have a water heater, there will be an electric 12V water pump with a switch somewhere inside a cabinet in the pop-up body. If you don't have a water heater, and have only one sink faucet, a hand pump was often used in older pop-ups. The 12V water pumps can and do fail, especially if run with an empty water tank for long periods. Replacements run about $60. If the pump motor is running, trace the sound to find the pump.

On a 2001 camper you may or may not have low point drains (one for hot and one for cold water). Low point drains were not universal on pop-ups in 2001.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Harry View Post
Forgive me, I'm not used to writing on this thread. Someone asked if we are sure there is water in it. We put a little over 6 gallons of bleach water in it, and a little bit leaked out of what looks like a female hose connection. No way did 6 gallons leak out, so it has to have water.
Holy Mackerel! 5 gallons of bleach in a popup FW tank?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #10

Thank you so much.

We will look for a water pump switch. The good news is we go to Pismo Monday, and have hired an RV guy to do some fixes, so hopefully he can figure it out if we can't. At least we have heat and a frig!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #11

Not 5 gallons bleach, 6 gallons water, a cup of bleach. I may be dumb, but not quite that bad! ;-)
Old 05-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #12

OK, I did find the water switch, I can hear the system trying to work, but I bet it needs a new pump. Overall, everything else is working, so we will have fun.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #13

Did you turn on a faucet water pump will not come on unless faucet is turned on .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #14

If you have a hot water heater and only put 6 gals of water in your FW tank, you may have not even filled your heater, in which case the pump would keep pumping the FW tank dry and not pressurize the lines. Fill your FW tank all the way up and turn on the pump. Let it run for a minute or so, then shut it off. Slightly open one hot water faucets and then turn the pump back on. As the hot water tank fills the pump should start shutting off at a point. I don't like to have my pump fill the hot water tank all in one sitting. It may do it fine, I just don't like to overwork the pump and that is why I turn it off and let it rest a few minutes every once in a while. Eventually, if the pump is working, you should fill the hot water tank and the lines and the pump should turn off. Cold water lines only take a few seconds to fill up. Hope that helps.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #15

Thanks, Prof Chuck, I never thought of that.

And thanks to all of you. What a generous crowd.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #16

I cup bleach mixed with 6 gallons of water is too much. 1/2 cup sanitizes a 30 gallon tank. You will want to drain and refill the tank a few times to get the taste out. The tip about the water heater is probably your issue. Most people want to bypass the water heater before chlorinating. There are multiple threads on this forum about bypass valves. The builders like to hide the water pump for some reason. Our houseboat had it under the botton of the bathroom vanity.

The pump is a diaphram pump, and they are very dependable. They can be run for hours and hours without issue. They can also be run while dry without damage. If it has failed, sometimes taking the pump portion apart and cleaning it will do the trick. Some also come with a filter in front of it to keep the sand out, and that can clog.

The hose fitting should be for city water. My understanding is that there is a check valve on that so it doesn't fill your tank when connected. When I fill my water tank, it has a small vent, right next to the fill hole,that will shoot water out when the tank is full. Even my slide in truck camper had a 10 gallon tank, so I assume yours is at least that big.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #17

Thank you. I am hoping to find a way to drain the bleach water out without having to run it through the whole system. Harry crawled underneath the unit, still doesn't see a drain valve. We have had two pop ups before, theirs were easy to find.

Hitting the road today! Hopefully we will get the onsite advice we need once we get to Pismo.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:41 PM   #18

If you are going to disinfect the tank, you might as well disinfect the entire system. If the solution is mixed right you can drain the fresh water and the water heater and just fill and rinse them, using the rinse water to pump through the pipes and fixtures. I find the odor, etc. usually dissipates within a couple days, if not sooner. In fact, I found it less offensive than some of the tap water my in-laws had in their city water supply in Port Richey Florida. We've never had a problem with any fixtures or the heater with just doing the rinse and drain. Just draining those two "main" things (and sometimes we don't even drain the hot water tank, just run fresh water through it for a while), gets most of the chlorine smell and taste out of the pipes. I actually think the remaining chlorine helps keep the pipes disinfected longer. Also, if we don't know the fresh water is from an inspected source we use bottled water for drinking anyway. Hope you enjoy your vacation and stay safe!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, questions, rockwood