Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Dino Road Trip Mama

Replacement mattresses

Hello,
We have a 2015 Rockwood Freedom 1970. The mattresses, even though they are heated, are not great at all. I think my ThermaRest on the ground might be more comfy! But since these are beds after all, I'm interested to know if anyone else has replaced their mattresses. One is a 3/4 and one is a short queen in our popup.

I assume the new mattresses would have to weigh about the same or not much more or there would be too much stress on the bunk ends. They were foam, but I prefer a spring mattress to a petroleum-based foam but will consider non-petroleum foam as well. Those memory foam mattresses that are advertised for big RVs would be waaaay too heavy and we aren't fans anyway.

We tried adding a 2" firm memory foam topper to the mattress for our last trip, but the camper wouldn't close. Does anyone know what the maximum mattress thickness is on this camper or how I could go about figuring that out?

Looking forward to our next trip with family members who aren't complaining about the mattresses!

Sarah

living in
sadenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #2

mattress

Great question! I like firm but since 2014, using a sleeping bag over the mattresses on our 1940. I like the memory foam in my sneakers but not a fan either of mattress toppers using that material. Suppose you could use a good quality inflatable mattress. Hope to hear of more suggestions!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

I've seen the "kleenex box test" to determine how thick you can go... Raise the roof high enough to be able to put an empty kleenex box on top of the mattress so it will be "sandwiched" between the mattress and the door (attached to the roof) when you close it back up. Then lower the roof and latch it. Then open it up again and retrieve the crushed kleenex box. Assuming it stays at the crushed height, that is how much space you have with the roof down.

I did that test and we ended up putting 2" memory foam toppers on top of the mattresses. Still not like sleeping on a real bed, but not bad. We ordered the Lucid toppers from Amazon.
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Dino Road Trip Mama

Thanks jr1221 for the Kleenex box test reminder. I knew I had read something somewhere about putting something in the camper and lowering the roof but couldn't remember what it was exactly. I'm hoping I can get some better mattresses that are a little thicker and firmer. Right now, my husband is not supported at all!
sadenis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement