Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

Replacing bent awning pole?

Ughhh.. So had my pup set up in the driveway after our last outing to make sure the canvas was good and dry before packing it up since we had gotten rained on the day before departure. Of course, once set up at home we had occasional showers each day so I had to keep it up longer than expected. Today all seemed good and dry and there was a storm on the way so I started getting it packed back in. Unfortunately, I ran out of time before I could get the awning secured. With the pup roof down, I lowered the vertical poles and sort of rested the front of the awning close to the ground to wait it out. It ended up being a more severe cell than expected and long story short, one of the poles got bent beyond repair.

It is the smallest diameter pole with the ball end that secures onto the roof of the pup. (with the eccentric twist-lock on the other end.) It is a 7 ft Dometic bag awning (model 924?)

In my searches on this site and on the internet, it seems as though you can't get just a pole from Dometic; they want to replace one whole side of the support rail at nearly the cost of a new awning.

Any suggestions on if this single pole is available somewhere on the web?

Thanks all!
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

I had something similar happen. I had to replace the side but for less than Camping World quoted me. You might contact Ickes in Montpelier, Indiana. I got it a little cheaper there.

I kept the old bent set to use for parts in case anything bends again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
cyberalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalexander View Post
I had something similar happen. I had to replace the side but for less than Camping World quoted me. You might contact Ickes in Montpelier, Indiana. I got it a little cheaper there.

I kept the old bent set to use for parts in case anything bends again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads-up! I checked the outside diameter of the bent part and it is 0.757" so I'm thinking of just getting a piece of .75" aluminum tubing from Lowes and then extracting the hardware from the damaged piece and then staking it into the new tubing...

I'll stop at Lowe's tomorrow after church to check it out. That will be a cheap fix for the time being... I'll check Dometic's dealer locater and make some calls on Monday to check on pricing for the side replacement.

Josh
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bent