Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

RhinoFlex Garden Hose?

I have a HW277 and struggling to drain my grey water smoothly using a garden hose. Unlike my RhinoFlex sewer hose which can expand and be shaped to how you need it to go, a garden hose is a set length and any extra forms a loop that works against you.

Has anyone seen a garden hose made like a sewer hose? I thought about using an expandable hose but I don't know if there would be enough pressure to cause it to expand and push the water through. Appreciate any tips on what to do.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Not for sure why you're using a garden hose for your grey water drainage, but about the only thing you can do is use the largest diameter hose you can find (I think 5/8" is about it) or make one from plastic tubing from Lowe's or Home Depot. Also, I would remove the opposite end connection to make sure I don't use it for anything else by accident. My only thoughts & suggestion other than shortening the hose length.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Thanks. Sure would've been nice if they would make the grey tank connection the same standard size as black tank so I could attach a normal sewer hose to it and then connect both to a wye fitting. Right now I'm using an adapter to convert the smaller opening to a fitting for a 5/8 garden hose which works but it's hard to shape the elevation so it all flows downhill like I do with the sewer hose.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

RyanS...

I'm really trying to understand your problem.

What kind of an RV do you have...trailer, pop up, tent camper? I'm not sure what a HW277 is.

Is the waste connector for the black tank a different size for the grey tank? On most rigs I've ever seen, they're the same size.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Sorry it's a highwall popup - model HW277.

And actually I have realized we have another active thread here all about this topic so sorry I should have caught up before posting. Looks like some good ideas being shared on how to best solve this.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tup-65485.html
Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Thanks. Sure would've been nice if they would make the grey tank connection the same standard size as black tank so I could attach a normal sewer hose to it and then connect both to a wye fitting. Right now I'm using an adapter to convert the smaller opening to a fitting for a 5/8 garden hose which works but it's hard to shape the elevation so it all flows downhill like I do with the sewer hose.
Seach grey water dump. The pvc adapter I made. It screws on the Grey outlet then have a valterra term so a sticky slinky can attach. (Rhino hose)
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #7

Hopefully this works. Here's the forum that tells you the parts I used.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=65485
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

Just look at my posts and fishhawk. The pvc parts are from lowes or home depot but the valterra end is from amazon
Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

RhinoFlex Garden Hose?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	137941
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

Name:	20170515_133533.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	137962

This is what it looks like takin apart. The black peice on the inside could be drilled out so you get better flow

Name:	20170515_133556.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	137963
Old 05-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #11

I always just hooked up my blue waste tote to the gray outlet using a cut piece of hose when we camped and just hauled the tote to the dump station when it was full. The gray tank was so small anyway, it never would hold a weekend worth of grey water anyway.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I always just hooked up my blue waste tote to the gray outlet using a cut piece of hose when we camped and just hauled the tote to the dump station when it was full. The gray tank was so small anyway, it never would hold a weekend worth of grey water anyway.
Hey galsofescape. I wish we could of figured out how to use a roll style awning. My domestic bag legs ripped off the last trip of last season and now I'm installing another bag awning. Oh well. Lol
Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

Yeah, I solved the problem by going to an hybrid camper. Has a motorized roll up awning. LOL. And a bigger gray tank.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

I hear you. We are thinking about trading up to now that we have a ram truck. Like the roo 3 bunk but dutchman makes one that has a little more counter room but I hear dutchman craftsmanship can suck.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #15

And kinma, I had also broken the legs off that dometic awning on my hw277. I lashed them in place as I did not want to replace the awning as we were thinking of upgrading the camper.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #16

This is what I use. I have two garden hoses. One is about 18" and the other is about 10' long. I use the short one when there's plenty of clearance under the gray water outlet. I use the long one to reach the bucket positioned downhill when the gray water outlet is too close to the ground. I run the long hose under the camper to a downhill location, and I simply coil the extra hose in the bottom of a 5 gallon "Homer" bucket.

A 1 1/2" to flex drain adapter is great for dump stations, but, if your gray tank is full on the campsite, you'll need to be very discrete using a black tank hose to dump gray water into a bucket or other container, because that could draw unwanted attention and concern from neighbors and rangers.

This is boilerplate that shows my adapter and other comments.

Drain your gray water regularly--3 or 4 times a weekend. A 12 gallon black tank is plenty for about 4 or 5 days if you're careful. But a 12 gallon gray water tank will fill up in a hurry. We start with about 25 gallons in the holding tank and 28 gallons in jugs in the truck bed. Do the math. That gray water has to go somewhere.

We camp near lakes a lot. That puts the gray water dump valve very close to the ground, so I can't get a bucket under it. I have a fitting that adapts from 1 1/2" to hose end, and I use a short length of garden hose into a 5 gallon bucket. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-T0...y+water+adaptr PUPS have been draining gray water into buckets forever. Most don't have gray water holding tanks. You can dump the bucket on a happy tree (boondocking), or into a pit toilet (campground). But if you don't drain the gray water regularly, it will fill your shower. Note that the garden hose adapter will block solids such as coffee grounds from flushing out of the pipe. So I leave some gray water in the tank to slosh about during the drive home to clean the tank, and then do the last dump without the adapter when I get home. That flushes out the solid residue from dishwashing. You can do this at a dump station, or because this is just sink water, on the ground or storm drain. I have a septic system with manhole covers at home, so I dump black water into the septic, and I can dump gray water residue into the septic, too. (You'll notice that all those tent campers dump dishwater on the ground, too.) But be discreet if you dump on the ground or storm drain at home, because someone may mistake your actions for dumping black water.
I have an outdoor kitchen, so my last step is to open the gray dump valve and run the garden hose straight down the outdoor sink drain to thoroughly flush out the gray tank.

Alternative plan:
If you want to dump your gray tank at a dump station, many create an adapter that fits a standard black-tank hose. Someone else’s illustration: http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=137941 (seen in this thread).
There are a number of similar designs. And these are great ideas!
My objection to this one is having to use separate dump hose for black and gray water and dealing with the optics of appearing to dump black water into a “bucket” at the campsite.

But you could also use this hose, 1 1/2 in. Discharge Hose Kit-66000-WYN1 - The Home Depot and two of these fittings: https://www.zoro.com/lasco-adapter-p...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds with hose clamps. Cut a short length of hose for one and about 10’ of hose for the other, and you can use this at the campsite and/or the dump station. The sump-pump hose is cheap and can be stored in the side cubby of the trailer so as not to get contaminated by the black hose in the storage tube or bumper.

There are often several ways to achieve the same goals. Whichever works best for you...
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote