Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Rock wood 2280BHESP - Fridge Question

I’ve had this PUP for almost two years now and have never been able to get my fridge to run on propane. Does anybody have pointers as how to light it? I know there is gas and a nice puff of flame comes out when I put a match in the site hole but nothing else. Tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Martin
Dumouc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

It may take several attempts to get it lighted. Keep trying. Eventually, it will go.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
It may take several attempts to get it lighted. Keep trying. Eventually, it will go.

I’ve tried it several times and no luck. It does operate fine when on electric.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #4

Is there a piezo starter or are you using a match?
Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Is there a piezo starter or are you using a match?

I’m assuming piezo(push down and creates a spark)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumouc56 View Post
I’m assuming piezo(push down and creates a spark)
I know when I go to light mine, I have to hit the starter many times to get it lit. I can not see the flame thru the site hole so I just feel the "chimney" to feel if it is getting warm. If it is, then it is lit. I very seldom use electricity unless I am plugged in. Really kills the battery.
fkiehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkiehner View Post
I know when I go to light mine, I have to hit the starter many times to get it lit. I can not see the flame thru the site hole so I just feel the "chimney" to feel if it is getting warm. If it is, then it is lit. I very seldom use electricity unless I am plugged in. Really kills the battery.

How many times do you hit the starter? I’ve hit it a good 5-6 times and doesn’t appear to light. Didn’t feel the flue pipe though
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

Here is how I would always start the fridge in my PUP.

Simultaneously, push down and turn the gas valve to the "start" position. Hold down for a couple of seconds. While holding the valve down and in that position start hitting the starter button rapidly (every second or so) and continue to do so until you hear the "puff" followed by the sound of the flame burning. If you don't hear that continue to push the button over and over until you do. You may get several Puffs and even at times flames that shoot out of the top of the fridge vent so stand back a bit (or duck down under the top of the fridge vent). Continue to hold the knob in that position for 30-60 seconds after the flame has started. After that, you can release the knob and turn it to the high position.

You can see the flame but it's really difficult during the day. Sometimes there is a little door to make it easier to see.

Note: I mentioned the shooting flames because I had it happen a handful of times over the probably 10 years I owned the camper. Just stay out of the way and you'll be fine. I was never in danger of injury although I could see it happening if I wasn't careful.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumouc56 View Post
How many times do you hit the starter? I’ve hit it a good 5-6 times and doesn’t appear to light. Didn’t feel the flue pipe though
Dozens of times. Sometimes more. Keep pushing it over and over.

It'll start. Keep going. If you need a break, shut off the gas first.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #10

I bought a 2016 228D not long ago. It was used and a bit tougher to start the gas on the fridge than I thought it would be. To light I had to turn the gas to high(make sure other power sources are off), hold the gas button down and press the ignitor repeatedly. It would puff and then go out sometimes, or puff once and stay lit.

As suggested the flame is hard to see in the daytime so an alternative is touch the chimney carefully to see if its burning.

One thing that has been "glossed over" I think is holding that button even after the puff and you know its lit. You are ensuring the gas flows with that while a safety element is heated up. The safety device keeps gas flowing so long as there is heat. No heat, no gas flow. You have to hold the button in (down) long enough for that safety device to be warmed up before letting go.
For me its between 5 and 10 seconds.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, fridge