Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #1

Rockwood 1940LTD door seal and awning trim

Hello, new Rockwood owner here! I recently scored a used 2017 FR Rockwood 1940LTD. Very excited to join the team, after upgrading from our old Coleman PUP. :-)

I have a few questions. First about the trim on the top of the awning bag--it it cracked and chipping off. Do I need to be concerned or just ignore it? (I can't tell if it's functional or aesthetic.) Pic below for reference.

Second question is about the door trim. When it's closed, there is a gap between the roof and the top of the door--like there should be a gasket or something. The gap is about an inch tall and would probably allow water/spiders/critters to get in. Pics below for reference--I drew a red line where the gap is located.
Before I mcguyver a white-trash solution, I figured it would be smart to ask here first. I checked with a friend who bought a new Rockwood 1970ESP and it has the same issue.
Side note: it came from the same dealership that mine was originally purchased from in 2017. That may or may not be a factor.
Side note #2 haha: The aforementioned WT solution I'm mulling over = use some adhesive velcro strips and thick rubber gasket to plug the gap during storage (it has to be removable because the fold-down door plugs into the top of this door and a permanent gasket would interfere).

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. In exchange, I promise to post pics of our family adventures with our new Rockwood trailer! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4843.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	235131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E4844.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	235132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4845.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	235133  
CentralCoast_Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #2

Rockwood 1940LTD door seal and awning trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoast_Angler View Post
Hello, new Rockwood owner here! I recently scored a used 2017 FR Rockwood 1940LTD. Very excited to join the team, after upgrading from our old Coleman PUP. :-)

I have a few questions. First about the trim on the top of the awning bag--it it cracked and chipping off. Do I need to be concerned or just ignore it? (I can't tell if it's functional or aesthetic.) Pic below for reference.

Second question is about the door trim. When it's closed, there is a gap between the roof and the top of the door--like there should be a gasket or something. The gap is about an inch tall and would probably allow water/spiders/critters to get in. Pics below for reference--I drew a red line where the gap is located.

Before I mcguyver a white-trash solution, I figured it would be smart to ask here first. I checked with a friend who bought a new Rockwood 1970ESP and it has the same issue.

Side note: it came from the same dealership that mine was originally purchased from in 2017. That may or may not be a factor.

Side note #2 haha: The aforementioned WT solution I'm mulling over = use some adhesive velcro strips and thick rubber gasket to plug the gap during storage (it has to be removable because the fold-down door plugs into the top of this door and a permanent gasket would interfere).

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. In exchange, I promise to post pics of our family adventures with our new Rockwood trailer! :-)

The top door seal on our camper tore after a few years and I just replaced it. Below is the website I purchased it from. Replacing the seal is simple remove four screws slide in track then replace screws.

Regarding the awning, the same thing happened to mine. I removed the entire awning and brought it to an upholster and had him stitch new piping then I replaced the awning back in the bracket.

https://www.hannarv.com/P/18397/Jayc...ealGrayLShaped
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the link to the door gasket—I ordered 2 btw.
Our maiden voyage last weekend was a success. My wife loves the new trailer.
Observations from the first trip in our 1940ltd:
-even though I had the battery plugged into my charger/tender beforehand, it only lasted about 30hrs. I used the external courtesy light for about 2hrs and charged my iphone with the usb port one time. Its the original group 24 deep cycle, so I was already planning to upgrade...I’m researching different options right now, including a 100-150watt solar unit..which I was also planning to buy regardless.
-the roof vent cover was super brittle and I accidentally broke off a piece. UV damage due to being stored in the sun in central CA (visalia). So I researched it and ordered a new vent cover (link below in case it helps others in the future). https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U...b_b_prod_image

Side note: I already ordered a nice cover for the trailer and a few other things. Next up is wheels. I really only need new tires, but since it costs as much to replace the treads as buying a new set of mounted wheels & tires, I’m going to replace the wheels. I did this with my old Coleman and went up to 13” rims...looking to do the same with my 1940ltd. Part of me wants to get 15” wheels and flip the leaf springs/axel, but that’s kind of overkill. I don’t need big fancy wheels, but the stock ST145 R12’s are too narrow IMO. Pulling it with a Ram 1500 crew cab it felt a little squirrly when I got up to ~65mph (I generally stay below 60 otherwise). So I’m looking at 13” or maybe 14”...
CentralCoast_Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

13" wheel upgrade?

Hey there, were you able to squeeze in 13" wheels? Finding 12" wheels is a bit of a pain.

Thanks!
vfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1940ltd, awning, door, rockwood, seal