Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1

Rockwood 2514g - repair and maintenance questions

Hi all,

2007 rockwood 2514G. Here is the list of items that will be repaired and maintained. Help is appreciated

1) Replacing end caps on the 4 corners of the roof. All 4 are cracked.
2) Re-caulking the whole camper (roof sidewalls etc.)

So the first questions is this. What is the skin of the roof made of? I believe its aluminum while the side are fiberglass. Can anyone confirm?

That being said what products should I use to re-caulk this? I've heard that I shouldn't use silicone and everything from eternabond to dicor seems to be popular. Any recommendations from anyone that has done this? Even better if you've done this to the same model year of this rockwood or sister flagstaff.

And finally I had a look at the sub-floor from the underside. I never liked that fact that it was chipboard but all manufacturers seem to use so no choice there. It looks grey and dry. I was thinking I would like to use some sort of preservative or sealant on it. Yes or no? Which one would you suggest. I was thinking just some of the green copper sulfate solution used to preserve wood.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
grumpyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

I believe the roof is fiberglass at least it is on newer models
apopkabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
Hi all,

2007 rockwood 2514G. Here is the list of items that will be repaired and maintained. Help is appreciated

1) Replacing end caps on the 4 corners of the roof. All 4 are cracked.
2) Re-caulking the whole camper (roof sidewalls etc.)

So the first questions is this. What is the skin of the roof made of? I believe its aluminum while the side are fiberglass. Can anyone confirm?

That being said what products should I use to re-caulk this? I've heard that I shouldn't use silicone and everything from eternabond to dicor seems to be popular. Any recommendations from anyone that has done this? Even better if you've done this to the same model year of this rockwood or sister flagstaff.

And finally I had a look at the sub-floor from the underside. I never liked that fact that it was chipboard but all manufacturers seem to use so no choice there. It looks grey and dry. I was thinking I would like to use some sort of preservative or sealant on it. Yes or no? Which one would you suggest. I was thinking just some of the green copper sulfate solution used to preserve wood.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hey Rob, our "newly purchased" used Pup ( 09' Rockwood Fleetwood LTD 1940 ) has a fiberglass roof. I just recently installed a Fan-tastic Fan, but do wish the roof material was a bit thicker.

When we inspected the Pup at the dealership, and regarding the seams and corners, we were told the 4 corners had been recently replaced and re-sealed. Looked to be they were re-sealed with white silicone, which I thought was rather shoddy in itself. The roof seam I wasn't too concerned with as I was going to reseal it anyways, as it appeared to be the original seal. It was showing signs of needing resealing and I am anal when it comes to the seams.

We got it home, I ordered my Fan-tastic Fan, installed it, and after doing another seam inspection, I noticed that the silicone sealant was separating from the corners. Yep, I was right, it was White Silicone. Thankfully I was prepared to reseal the corners as well.

Anyways, I had purchased 2 tubes ProFlex RV sealant ( Geocel ) and re-sealed all my corners, roof seam, and Fan-tastic Fan Vent, and I am a happy camper. No leaks and everything is tight.

As for the undercarriage, this is our thoughts. We are thinking of getting "Flex Seal Rubber Sealant" and spraying the undercarriage. Kind of like the undercarriage spray for vehicles. Right now our undercarriage is showing a washed out over spray of black paint, but you can still see the particle board. Maybe others have suggestions as well.
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Thanks for both your reply's. I too used proflex for the corners. Good stuff but awful to work with. I am going to use rubberized roof coating on the undercarriage.
grumpyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
Thanks for both your reply's. I too used proflex for the corners. Good stuff but awful to work with. I am going to use rubberized roof coating on the undercarriage.

Rob, since I last posted and stating I was going to undercoat, I was informed of the reasons NOT TO by other forum members. I am very grateful for their input and stopped me from regretting what I would have done later down the road.

Now as for the undercarriage. The floor needs to breath. And with the Rubber Sealant it will not allow the floor to do as such. And if water should get trapped under the rubber sealant, it will spread and, as a result, damage the floor more extensively. I had also done more internet searching and the majority of what I have read suggest to not undercoat as well.

I was looking to do the same as yourself and protect the undercarriage of our new Pup, but in turn it would have done more damage if water had gotten trapped. Therefore, for now, unless they come out with a product that is verifiably safe and good for undercarriage use, I have heeded others advice and opted to leave the undercarriage "AS IS". We don't need MORE headaches!

Do a "google" and see what others are saying regarding this as well. I'm so glad I did before I proceeded.
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( previous )
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyguy
Here is good information advising not to use any undercoating.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=43285.0
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetrey View Post
Here is good information advising not to use any undercoating.

Another, undercoat the floor question?

Thanks jpetrey, this was the exact same link I found as well in my search. I never gave it a thought about not undercoating until another member made me realize that my old Pup, 15 years old, had never been undercoated and was just fine. Still learning. Thanks for posting the link.
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( previous )
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2

Tags
2514g, caulking, end caps, subfloor