Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Rockwood 2716G Build Quality / QC

HI There,

Well, We've successfully imported our Rockwood Premier 2716G into the UK and, while we have some mods to do (Driving lights, Parking Brake) its mostly all good now.

However, we have found a few places where the QC seems a bit lacking.

Has anyone else come across any of the following and, if so, have you found a successful resolution ?

* Fabric section to LHS of Door -Seems to have been mis-sewn, its set very far left of the door, there is ample fabric to cover the vertical corner strut but its a real struggle to get it to meet at the door -also, it appears never to have been properly retained as the grub screws which would locate it in the aluminium channel are missing.

*Door -We cannot get the door to fit properly at the top. The Aluminium extrusion is flush at the left hand side but set back around 5mm on the right hand side meaning that it cannot fit under the plastic retaining latch correctly. -Also, why are there two slots cut in the aluminium extrusion ? they don't appear to line up with anything which would locate secure them -so we're a little puzzled

*The mess of plumbing / wiring under the drawer section. Im sorry but this just fills me with dread, there is a complex tangle of electrical cable and water hosing all intermingled behind the electrical panel. Surely this isn't up to code / standard ??! I was rather angry when i found out how poorly it had been done when tidying it up should not only be a matter of safety but also one of pride. It just feels like a lot of corners have been cut wherever you cannot see them.

We had a water filter housing fail and the whole area fill with water. Not cool.

Maybe I'm being unfair or expecting too much, but it feels like the Quality Control on this particular camper leaves something to be desired, and I just wanted to see whether we've just been unlucky or whether this is 'normal' across the range ?

I should say, that, these items apart, we are enjoying the camper and looking forward to putting it to good use over the coming months and years

Thanks for your help

Bob
Awkwardbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

Welcome to standard build quality of fine American RV craftsmanship.

I'm curious about the "parking brake".
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #3

Ha yes, another customer questioning the shocking build quality of Forest River! I have a Flagstaff (sister brand to Rockwood) and it's total sh*te! I had a Fleetwood Westlake for 11 years prior and it was solid. I can honestly say that I really can't see my Flagstaff lasting 11 years!
With that said, you are probably in it for the long haul now, as I can't see you are in a position to return it so get used to fixing, repairing and changing a few things.

Regarding the door, could it be that the door or the frame at the bottom where it sits into is slightly buckled? Where you totally level? My door doesn't fit if I'm not level. Was the roof fully raised, could you have raised in another centimetre and it would have worked?As far as the slots cut into the door, where it looks like the retaining latches should go, I think this is a generic door and some models/brands use these slots & some don't.

The water filter housing failing is a common complaint, I'm sure mine should be failing any day now!

I have front & rear flexing happening on mine. it's where the frame holding the bed support posts isn't strong enough to take the weight, so the front & rear panels are flexing. Evidence of this is the door not fitting properly and the cabinets coming away from the wall, so this might be something to look out for. There is a thread on here about adding support to the walls but it's all too advanced for me.

I'm an Ex-Pat and I'm from North Devon, moved here 20 years ago. I can't imagine for one minute towing my Flagstaff on the Devonshire roads. What are you towing with? What sort of places will you camp at? Are there many trailer tents like yours over there now?

Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #4

Ha !

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. DOnt get me wrong, the basic design of the the camper is good, its just the execution feels really poor in places.

I have noticed the plywood beds extensions flexing and we may be 1 degree off level which could cause the issue with the door.

Jokingly I notice it has a 5 year warranty on the canvas so maybe we'll speak to the US dealer (haha)

We're towing with a 1998 Range Rover 4.6l V8 (to get around the type approval for 50mm as opposed to 2" tow balls) and the RR doesn't even seen to notice the extra load.

We've deployed a Curt Echo Brake controller which seems to work well but we do need to fit a 'Purely mechanical' parking brake, which upon pulling the lever, applies the brake shoes. I had hoped to get around this by utilising an electric parking brake but, unfortunately, EU law specifies that it must be mechanical.

So we're going to fit the swap-in dexter brakes with the parking brake back-plate which are $200 or so.

We're planning to use conventional touring sites in the UK although the length is proving 'interesting' and, no, there is nothing quite like it available over here and it's generated fair bit of a stir where we have taken it -although, that could have been my newbie reversing !

I'll report back after a rewiring/re-plumbing project !

Thanks again

Bob
Old 09-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Workmanship at the factory and at most dealers is definitely sub-par. We are seriously considering trading ours in before the extended warranty expires.

In regards to the water filter; many remove the housing and by-pass it. Buy a filter to go on your hose.
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

Not all RV manufacturers in America build coaches that are crap. Therre are a few that just shove the units out the door. I just retired after 43 years in the RV industry.
almcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #7

Well, I’ve had a deeper delve and removed the filter housing however I’m at a loss when I see the mess of intertwined electrical
Cabling and plumbing. Why the heck is there an open double socket in the back there ??!

What I want to do is open up the cabinet and rationalise the utter mess back there, so any top tips on how best to remove the laminate top (I’m assuming it’s glued as well as screwed ?) would be most gratefully received !

Thanks again, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14D39F06-BD43-4200-90C9-DBB004BD77D5.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	238166   Click image for larger version

Name:	41CF3A5A-A47C-426D-9017-F69F61504D0E.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	238167   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DCFC429-D4C7-4046-AB9C-9B2D46ECF2CC.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	238168  
Old 09-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

That looks terrible! I just bought a 2021 Freedom 2318G and my internals look nothing like that. Whoever wired mine was a perfectionist in my book. Everything was nice and neat. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it all depends on the day, time, and individuals building your unit. Some are good and some are bad; really bad!
Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

What a mess! If you zoom in you can see some water stains on the plywood.
It’s amazing how many wires are covering your pump. I would be very upset!
How will you get to your pump without getting shocked!
Old 09-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #10

I have a 2516g and the door I HATE!! same as you, perfectly level or damn near close to and the top doesn't fit like yours. My water filter housing broke like yours as well. I took the whole filter housing out and just joined the 2 hoses together. My old 82' Coleman was far superior in build quality.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
Not all RV manufacturers in America build coaches that are crap. Therre are a few that just shove the units out the door. I just retired after 43 years in the RV industry.

Which manufacturer(s) can you recommend?
rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
I agree with the OP, please recommend a popup manufacturer that doesn't build crap. There aren't many RV manufacturers making popups anymore, like there used to be.
Since you used the term "coaches", I don't think you realize that this thread is in the Popup section and the OP owns a popup.
Never heard of a popup being referred to as a "coach".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #13

The only quality rv "imo" is airstream. All others are garbage. They don't make em like they used to. Knocking on wood for my rockwood 2516g
Old 10-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusthof View Post
The only quality rv "imo" is airstream. All others are garbage. They don't make em like they used to. Knocking on wood for my rockwood 2516g
Have read some of the posts on the Airstream forums? Since Thor Industries bought Airstream out, it seems quality has gone down the tubes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkwardbob View Post
Ha !

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. DOnt get me wrong, the basic design of the the camper is good, its just the execution feels really poor in places.

I have noticed the plywood beds extensions flexing and we may be 1 degree off level which could cause the issue with the door.

Jokingly I notice it has a 5 year warranty on the canvas so maybe we'll speak to the US dealer (haha)

We're towing with a 1998 Range Rover 4.6l V8 (to get around the type approval for 50mm as opposed to 2" tow balls) and the RR doesn't even seen to notice the extra load.

We've deployed a Curt Echo Brake controller which seems to work well but we do need to fit a 'Purely mechanical' parking brake, which upon pulling the lever, applies the brake shoes. I had hoped to get around this by utilising an electric parking brake but, unfortunately, EU law specifies that it must be mechanical.

So we're going to fit the swap-in dexter brakes with the parking brake back-plate which are $200 or so.

We're planning to use conventional touring sites in the UK although the length is proving 'interesting' and, no, there is nothing quite like it available over here and it's generated fair bit of a stir where we have taken it -although, that could have been my newbie reversing !

I'll report back after a rewiring/re-plumbing project !

Thanks again

Bob
Glad it made it.
The other way round the 1998 type approval rule seems to be to run an imported TV... So The whole rig is non EU/UK spec

Are you taking the trailer through SVA?

Cabling and plumbing look as messy as mine.
Saying that I find wiring and p!umbing in houses is more messy here than UK. Twist connectors galore.
PathfinderESP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, rockwood