Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Rockwood ESP and WiFi booster?

Hi All,

Are there any Rockwood ESP owners out there who can tell me where the wifi booster is located in their pop up? According to the literature it comes standard with the ESP models. (I have the 1640 ESP) I don't remember seeing it during my orientation at the dealer, nor did they mention it and there is no documentation for it included in my owner's bag of goodies. (But I haven't pulled the trailer out and set it up to specifically look for it yet.

When I bought my camper, it was advertised as including the zamp solar panel... When I specifically asked about it during my orientation, the service guy looked a little sheepish when he had to go get one and give it to me... Hopefully it was an honest oversight and the wifi booster isn't another item that they "conveniently" forgot to include with the trailer...

Hopefully it should be going back in for the roof replacement soon (previous thread) and I was going to ask about it then.

Thanks!
Josh
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

I think I may have found the error in my thinking...

When I went in to the dealership, they gave me a brochure that showed which models came with the wifi extender (including the ESP models)... It must be a 2018 brochure but the camper that I purchased was a (new) 2017. I ran across this article that indicates that Forest River was going to start including the range extender in the 2018 units:
http://www.rvnews.com/article.php?id=4044

So looks like I am out of luck. I don't know that we would really use it as when we are camping we try to "unplug" as much as possible but it would have been a cool thing to have!

Josh
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

Funny, the same thing happened to us--except that we were buying a 2018. Apparently, it is only late-model 2018s that got the Wi-Fi Rangers installed. Our 2018 HW 277, which was built in late 2017, does not have it either.
kevinrross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Most of the parks we go to don't have wifi available, so it's hard to see what this would be good for. Wouldn't paying for a hotspot be better?
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

The wifi ranger is only as good as the campground wifi. If the cg wifi drops the signal, so will the ranger. The main advantage to the wifi ranger is security. We have a Flagstaff 21DS.
Npmathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Many of the models come with a basic Wifi Extender that is one unit (router and antenna) mounted on the roof. There usually is a separate power switch for it or maybe a switch for it on your console panel. When powered up, then you can start your laptop or wifi on your phone and log into the wifi router to get it set up according to the instructions. You might need to get someone more savvy with wifi and router setup if you aren't. It isn't really hard, just their instructions aren't easy to follow if you don't no wireless or router terms to begin with. Don't worry you can't blow anything up or cook the wifi... you can always reset it to factory if you misconfigure something.
One thing to remember this only extends the available wifi that you are picking up. It doesn't boost your speed. Since antenna is on top of camper you pick up wifi signals better than just your laptop antenna, especially when inside. If your campground throttles down the speed or prohibits streaming video the wifi booster can't change that.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

I dont know if its a dealer thing or what but when we just bought our 2018 2516g we got the same runaround . We were missing our outside gas stove and the booster. i wasnt to worried about the booster didnt want more holes in the roof anyway, but the stove i was dead set on .i said it had an outside table with a gas line but was told they didn't think it was an option for mine or it was a late option even though the brochure listed one . Called rockwood / fr and they said ever 2018 2516g is shipped with a grill.so got back with the dealer and a grill appeared.best advice is for people to double check the options before delivery, though that dosent help if you bought used.
Rocky2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

Dealers have been known to either lie, represent one model for actually the one they are selling (bait and switch is common in RV's with so many variations). The Wifi is usually installed on models. The 2018 models of the Rockwood Roo 24WS started all having the Wifi booster, whereas in 2017 models not all had them as standard yet.
I haven't seen any campers or RV's under $40K that came with Solar Panels. Most of the FR models say Zamp Solar Panel Ready or similar ambiguous terms that to me mean ready for you to buy, but for my wife it means it should come ready to cook with all of it. All they have done is put a plug on the wall or frame and wired it over to the battery. Something you could do to any camper for about $5.00 yourself. You still have to buy the Solar Panel and the Voltage regulator either way. Some models come with a charge, voltage, amp display mounted on the wall.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #9

Yeah, I understand. My camper was not advertised as having the wifi booster; I was duped by the revision in the Forest River marketing literature! I doubt we would actually use it, but thought it could be handy in the right circumstances. I understand how range extenders work as I have one in my garage workshop. I do have a mobile hotspot for work or I could use my phone as a hotspot as an alternative.

It was advertised as including the Zamp solar panel, which they did provide. (The trailer itself is Zamp "ready")

Another funny thing is that it was advertised as having the double propane tank option. When I went to pick it up there was only one installed. So I asked about it and they said it was only an option for the larger models. So I showed them their MSRP invoice (which was linked in their online description) which showed they paid Forest River for it and it was included in the MSRP. In the end, they agreed that since it was not an option for our model, they gave me an equal credit for their store...

Not saying that I don't trust them; only that I haven't been a customer long enough to be able to trust them! (Does that make sense?)

Thanks for the replies!
Josh
Old 05-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #10

WHAT? their MSRP invoice (which was linked in their online description) which showed they paid Forest River for it and it was included in the MSRP.
Then they give store credit for the equal amount? And that costs them less than their cost for what they gave you.
I should rent my wife out to everyone to come in after the deal wheels have started... Especially if you trade in they nit pick your trade apart to lower what they give... She turns it on them and nit picks every detail on the new unit. They end up asking her what it will take to satisfy her... basically shut up, sign and leave! She isn't rude, obnoxious and never raises her voice. But these men all turn to melted lard when she is done out maneuvering. First time she did it years ago, I just looked at the guy like "my wife, but I don't know this women"! LOL

Had similar things happen to us again back in February at Glamping World.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Yea i forgot to mention the a/c ,we saw our camper model at the r/v show with a/c installed and agreed on a price ,3 days later at the dealer going over the paper work i said whats this additional 850$ beyond tax ,tag etc , the response was thats for the a/c i said the one we saw and agreeded on the price had a/c as we headed for the door. They stopped us as we went thru the door and agreed.
Rocky2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #12

Overall, our purchase experience was pretty smooth, but I'm still not confident in the service department... If you haven't seen it, I posted another thread about getting a new roof installed: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sp-160360.html
Along the lines of your wife, my wife also gave them a lot of grief on that when we opened it up during our orientation and found it wet inside! They told me it would be 6-8 weeks for the new roof. I called at the 6-week mark and the service manager told me that he just got shipping confirmation from FR. I then called a week later and it still hadn't arrived. Going to call a bit later today since it has been 2 weeks since they said it shipped and they still haven't contacted me. What would the transit time for a new roof to Houston be? Makes me wonder if they are just feeding me a line...

Update: Called dealer and they still don't have it. Went out on a limb and called Forest River and they were kind enough to inform me that the order has NOT shipped yet but could not give me an estimated ship date. Ughhh!

Tags
rockwood