Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

Rockwood Freedom 2302 tent trailer

we have a Rockwood Freedom model 2302 tent trailer and would like to hear from someone on how to winterize it ourselves. Last year we had an RV dealer do this but cost us so much. We have drained the water by opening plug under the trailer and have drained hot water tank. But would love detailed instructions on how to put in antifreeze etc. Thank you. Oh it is a 2008
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Winterizing Your Flagstaff Camping Trailer | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Does a person close the drainplugs underneath the pop up after antifreeze goes thru. We will try your method but would like to see a video if anyone has on this particular model. Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Are you talking about the water tank drain plug?
I just drain the water tank, but I DO NOT add any RV anti-freeze to the tank. If there is a little water left over in the 20 gallon water tank, it will not cause any problems. I also do not push any anti-freeze into the water heater.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

hI f5moab
Yes, the water tank drain turn knob that's under neath the trailer. Here in BC Canada I wouldn't think water left is a good idea. Just looking for detailed instructions on winterizing the whole unit. How to put antifreeze thru the lines properly? Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #6

Will try to figure out if flagstaff instructions you sent would apply to our Rockwood
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
Will try to figure out if flagstaff instructions you sent would apply to our Rockwood
Flagstaff and Rockwood are twin brands, with the only differences being outside graphics and interior decor colors/patterns.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

If you have a 20 gallon water tank, and you drain it, at the most you might have six ounces of water remaining. That will freeze and expand, but not even to 2 percent of the size of the tank. So no damage will be done.
YOU do NOT want to fill the storage tank with anti-freeze and I doubt you could use compressed air to get all the water out, a few ounces will remain.
If you filled the water tank with anti-freeze it will take probably hours to flush out all the anti-freeze in the spring of the following year.

I have followed those instructions for three winters now, and have had no problem. And although it stays colder longer in BC than in UT or ID, we do have a few months of below freezing weather to contend with each winter. And if not winterized correctly, all it would take is a week of below freezing weather to cause damage.

Bikendan answered the differences between flagstaff and rockwood quite well.

Have fun; it is NOT a hard job to do and takes maybe an hour at the most and that includes the time to drain everything and remove/install lines.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

Thanks f5moab. Hopefully we save ourselves the $100 per hour rate plus at the dealers and get it done ourselves.

Tags
rockwood, tent trailer, trailer