Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Rockwood HW 276 Bed Slide Issue

I have a new Rockwood HW 276 popup. After taking the camper out twice, I have notice that both beds are more difficult to slide in and out than the first time we used it. Upon inspection, it looks like there is some of the canvas material caught in the slide mechanism. My question is how to I get this material out of the track without tearing it and how do I prevent the material from getting caught up again? Thanks for your help!
ibordelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibordelon View Post
<<snip>> Upon inspection, it looks like there is some of the canvas material caught in the slide mechanism. My question is how to I get this material out of the track without tearing it and how do I prevent the material from getting caught up again? Thanks for your help!
I confess, I'm confused. I can't imagine how canvass from the top would become entangled in the bed slides if the camper is erected and collapsed as it should be.
  1. Raise the roof to full extension.
  2. Install the bed supports.
  3. Slide out the beds.
  4. Open the dinette slide.
  5. Install the safety supports on the columns.
  6. Lock the bed slides with the slide bolts.
  7. Lock the dinette slide in position with the clips.
  8. Zip down the "joints" between the bedside canvass and the main section of the tent. (Some or all of these zippers are marked as "fire escapes.")
  9. Attach the canvass to the underside of the beds - snap first, then velcro, then bungee.
  10. Position rain flaps on bed ends.
  11. Attach velcro on dinette slide to the tub.
  12. Raise tent hoops on beds and dinette slide.

To close up the camper, reverse the process with one caveat: Close the beds before closing the dinette slide. This prevents the sliding beds from catching on the dinette canvass. And, as you close the slide, you'll need to nurse the slide's canvass up onto the two beds, or it will get pinched between the bed rails and the roof risking some canvass damage as you close and open the roof.

I also invert all the rain flaps...folding them upward to get them away from the joint between the roof and the tub.

My confusion is based on the fact that once the main cabin roof is raised the canvass is under tension and cannot get caught in the bed slides.

I have a hunch that you may not be unzipping the bed ends from the main cabin canvass. This is essential. If so, you are unable to tuck the bedside canvass up out of harm's way on top of the mattress, and that also makes it more difficult to tuck the canvass efficiently enough to make closing the roof easy. Worst case, there is a real risk of catching the bedside canvass in the bed slide.

What I do is unzip the bed ends from the main cabin. Then, while I'm still inside, I grab each freed corner of the bed ends and pull it toward the center of the bed. Then, from the outside, I dress the bed side walls up onto the bed as much as possible before I push the bed in.

One other tip: Do NOT open the zippers too far. I leave about 4 to 6" of the zippers engaged. One time, I unzipped one zipper a bit too far. It came apart, and it was a real bear to get it started again. It took about 10 minutes of patient work to get it started and not risk damaging the zipper, because the space is very tight at the start of the zipper.

At any rate, if you are following this procedure and the canvass still gets hung up in the beds slides, something's not right and you should visit the dealer ASAP. But if you missed any steps in this process, things should work correctly with no risk of damaging the canvass if you follow the steps.

As for untangling caught canvass from the bed slide, there are too many variables to make a recommendation other than to go to the dealer for help. If they tear it, it's their problem. If you tear it, you're SOL.

If you have a minor tear, here's an option. Something snagged one of my rain flaps on the lift posts and created a 3-corner tear. This stuff did a good job of fixing it: https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-42623...s+repairt+tape
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

I agree, not sure how to untangle without actually being there.

Also agree that if the roof is raised to the correct height, as determined by the green (sometimes red) cord on the front corner, it is next to impossible to get any fabric caught in the tracks Or so it appears that way to me; and I have never caught fabric in the track.

I do remember the dealer telling me to always raise the roof up as far as noted by the green cord in the corner to stretch out the sides to prevent getting the panel(s) caught in tracks. Told me people will sometime want to slightly raise the roof and pull out the slides to get at something in the trailer, and then when they close up, it causes the fabric to catch in the tracks.

As for unzipping. I do believe unzipping the panels upon closing is dependent upon the actual trailer. (Dealer told me I didn't have to when I picked mine up) I tried it once (unzipping), due to someone offering it as a suggestion, but did not notice any difference or extra resistance when closing up. So, I returned to NOT unzipping when closing up and never caught any of the side panel in the tracks. Possibly, if the trailer has a pull out slide, it is required.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
<<snip>>
As for unzipping. I do believe unzipping the panels upon closing is dependent upon the actual trailer. (Dealer told me I didn't have to when I picked mine up) I tried it once (unzipping), due to someone offering it as a suggestion, but did not notice any difference or extra resistance when closing up. So, I returned to NOT unzipping when closing up and never caught any of the side panel in the tracks. Possibly, if the trailer has a pull out slide, it is required.
I think it also makes a difference in the density of the canvass packed in one spot. With the zippers still zipped, more of the tent-end sidewall canvass is held close to the front/back of the trailer. Unzipped, it can be spread out and arranged on top of the mattress in a single layer.

It's more difficult to close the front of our roof, because we experimented with mattresses, and we settled on the factory innerspring mattress with a 2" high-density foam topper. We are already pushing the limits getting the top to close, so I put a lot of effort into packing the canvass on the "king" end of the camper to make it possible to close the roof. I still often have to sit on the roof to compress the canvass and bed before we can make the latch connection.

I'm installing solar on our camper, and I worked until 10 PM last night. It was 37 degrees when I closed the camper, and that cold, stiff canvass and cold, stiff foam on the bed did not want to compress! I sat on one corner for at least 5 minutes before things compressed enough to allow me to latch. I was pretty exhausted, and I must have left a "bunch" in there somewhere. In temps 50 degrees and above, everything compresses much more easily.
At age 68, climbing onto the corner of the roof is getting old - not to mention the risks of damaging the roof (It's quite sturdy at the rounded corners). One day soon, I'm going to be asking the group for ideas about how to attach an eye-bolt to the front corners to connect a ratchet strap to the A-frame instead.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #5

If I went with a thicker mattress I might try the unzipping routine again; but I'm satisfied with the thin mattress; but sleeping on a wooden floor is nothing new, so long as it is level.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

Mirror for camper

Have either of you install a mirror in your camper? I know the unit comes with one but my wife is short so it makes it more difficult for her to top makeup on. I was thinking about trying to maybe install one on the back side of the shower door with velcro. Any thoughts on this? Would love to hear if you have other options. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

we put a small mirror on the front door inside panel. It has 2 silver clips on it so when the door panel is down some it's the perfect height.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks for your feed back.

Tags
bed, rockwood, slide