Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Rockwood HW 277 screen door

I have a 2016 unit .When the screen door is installed there is a gap of two inches or more across at the top . The door has two slots at the top in frame. Is there something missing ? If so where can I get the parts to fix it .
bigpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpine View Post
I have a 2016 unit .When the screen door is installed there is a gap of two inches or more across at the top . The door has two slots at the top in frame. Is there something missing ? If so where can I get the parts to fix it .
Level your trailer front and back......side to side. Do not use the stabilizer jacks to level the trailer.....this can cause the box to really twist up and make the door hard to install. Being un-level can cause the top to lean one way or another and can create the gap you are experiencing. Those two slots do nothing that I know of.........I have them also.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #3

The unit is level using tire block & hitch crank . There is two Velcro dick on the roof section .
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpine View Post
The unit is level using tire block & hitch crank . There is two Velcro dick on the roof section .
Blocks under the wheels? May want to consider a BAL leveler....acts as a chock also and gets it very level and not "Kinda level" with blocks. Not sure what a "Velcro dick" is but you kids and your new fangled words these days.....
Old 06-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #5

I deal with a similar issue. In addition to what Trevor43 advised, make sure your cable is taunt once the roof is raised up.

By the way, I have a BAL leveler too. That thing is great!
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurticus View Post
I deal with a similar issue. In addition to what Trevor43 advised, make sure your cable is taunt once the roof is raised up.

By the way, I have a BAL leveler too. That thing is great!
Yes they are.......and if I'm correct I think they make one for tandem axles also.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

We have a 206LTD but we have two plastic swivel locks mounted on the roof side that fit thru the slots. We spin them to lock the top of the door in position.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

We are camping now and during set up yesterday, the door fit like a glove. This is what I did differently. I normally use a "T" level on the trailer tongue to level the camper. However, this time I used a smaller normal level in the door frame of the camper. As a result, the door fit wonderfully. The level on the tongue showed it being off a bit, so im guessing that was my issue.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Mine doesn't have them . It looks like they would fit on piece of wood etc. Than attach to the roof held on by the Velcro disk . Bobbigpine
Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 AM   #10

Quote:
We are camping now and during set up yesterday, the door fit like a glove. This is what I did differently. I normally use a "T" level on the trailer tongue to level the camper. However, this time I used a smaller normal level in the door frame of the camper. As a result, the door fit wonderfully. The level on the tongue showed it being off a bit, so im guessing that was my issue.
Ok, I spoke too soon, so I have to respond to my own post. My door frame is now very tight on the side closest to the bunk. The swivel towards the middle of the frame is so tight, it feels like its going to snap off any second. Also, from the inside of the camper, you can see an opening as if the door is slightly buckling out. At the top, the vertical slots in the screen door serve no purpose. They do not come close to matching up with the swivel locks which are just above. I use those to swivel lock the top of the screen door itself.

I have slightly adjusted the scissor jack underneath the door as well as the tongue jack. I don't want to do anything too dramatic since I am already set up.

I have watched the Forest River set up video with the lady who does everything so easily with a smile, but that didn't do me any good. Her swivel locks at the top secure the screen door from the side, not the top like mine.

Oh well, next time I set up, I will take some extra time until I fine tune it.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok, I spoke too soon, so I have to respond to my own post. My door frame is now very tight on the side closest to the bunk. The swivel towards the middle of the frame is so tight, it feels like its going to snap off any second. Also, from the inside of the camper, you can see an opening as if the door is slightly buckling out. At the top, the vertical slots in the screen door serve no purpose. They do not come close to matching up with the swivel locks which are just above. I use those to swivel lock the top of the screen door itself.

I have slightly adjusted the scissor jack underneath the door as well as the tongue jack. I don't want to do anything too dramatic since I am already set up.

I have watched the Forest River set up video with the lady who does everything so easily with a smile, but that didn't do me any good. Her swivel locks at the top secure the screen door from the side, not the top like mine.

Oh well, next time I set up, I will take some extra time until I fine tune it.
HW's Have scissor jacks under the entry door? The scissor jacks should just touch the ground and nothing more.....if it begins to lift the box any at all.....you've gone to far.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
HW's Have scissor jacks under the entry door? The scissor jacks should just touch the ground and nothing more.....if it begins to lift the box any at all.....you've gone to far.
I typically snug them good. I may pull back a little so they are just touching like you said.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
So I just slightly loosened the scissor jack under the door. Already the small gap between the door and the door frame is gone and the swivel is a little easier to turn. This must be my issue. Thanks!

I don't want to mess with it too much since I am already set up, but on the next camping trip, I will do the same all the way around.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

Quote:
So I just slightly loosened the scissor jack under the door. Already the small gap between the door and the door frame is gone and the swivel is a little easier to turn. This must be my issue. Thanks!

I don't want to mess with it too much since I am already set up, but on the next camping trip, I will do the same all the way around.
Have fun.....

Tags
door, rockwood