Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Rockwood HW 296 - Help with part PLEASE

I have a 2018 HW 296 and am trying to get a very important replacement part but don't know what it is called. Forest River doesn't seem to know either. Hoping to get help please:

On the left side of the trailer about 12" from the front corner there is a "plunger switch" that has broken. It is tucked up inside the upper roof lip. This switch seems to control the on/off of the power to the upper half of the trailer. When the top is down, the plunger is depressed and the power is off. When the top is up, the plunger springs from its depressed position and the power is on.

The thing just broke and fell to the ground and we are going camping in 3 days.

Anyone know what this part is?

Thank you
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfamily5 View Post
I have a 2018 HW 296 and am trying to get a very important replacement part but don't know what it is called. Forest River doesn't seem to know either. Hoping to get help please:

On the left side of the trailer about 12" from the front corner there is a "plunger switch" that has broken. It is tucked up inside the upper roof lip. This switch seems to control the on/off of the power to the upper half of the trailer. When the top is down, the plunger is depressed and the power is off. When the top is up, the plunger springs from its depressed position and the power is on.

Thank you
My recommendation would be to work on a bypass for the switch until you find the part. Shouldnt be too hard to wire it together in the meantime.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Team

I always called it a plunger or kill switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

I have a 2016 HW296 and can't picture this switch. Can you take a picture and post it?

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

i have always called it a kill switch. Strange that Rockwood does not know.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfamily5 View Post

Thank you
The same happened to me just 2 weeks ago! Here's the thread I posted asking for help with it, there was some good suggestions for replacement. I just ended up gluing mine, will sort it out in the fall.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ks-208785.html
Old 06-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #7

This one? (pic is sideways)
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #8

This is the POWER DISCONNECT SWITCH for interior lights and accessories - for when the roof is closed. If you leave the lights on, this plunger switch should disconnect them when the roof is closed.

This is a "NORMALLY ON" (momentary) switch in that if you release the button, the switch is in the on position. When you push it, the switch is off.

The idea that Forest River didn't understand this is a bit unnerving, but perhaps your explanation was not clear.

Here's a generic listing of these types of switches: https://www.google.com/search?q=norm...BwQ7FltOFKZy-M

You'll be frustrated trying to find this particular switch anywhere but Forest River, UNLESS YOU CAN REMOVE THE SWITCH and read the "data plate" info on the switch. This might be an imprint or even a stamped series of numbers. But Forest River will have this.

As others suggest, if your lights work, ignore it. If the lights don't work, you can bypass the switch. But you must remember to check your lights When the camper is closed, the ceiling lights are right up against the bedding, and even an LED can generate enough heat to scorch your blankets or even start a fire. If nothing else, the heat will yellow/brown up the lens on the light.

Mine broke soon after I got my HW-277. The lights worked, so I just left it and made sure the lights were off. No big deal.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #9

Contact at Rockwood:

KATHY SWOPE

Rockwood & Flagstaff Customer Service

Direct phone: 574-642-8927

For all new part or warranty inquires please email:

rockwoodcustomerserve@forestriverinc.com

flagstaffcustomerservice@forestriverinc.com

You can call us at ( 574-642-8943 )
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood