Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Rockwood HW256 Power Lift

Need to know 1) what/where the manual backup is for the power lift on cited Rockwood model (there is no opening for a 'crank' in the area where the power lift is controlled); and 2) where can one purchase a backup lift motor if there is no manual alternative; and 3) how difficult would the lift motor be to install? Thank you!
rwoodposting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #2

No longer need response. Thank you.
rwoodposting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
New Tent Trailer Camper

Does anyone have an answer for this? I have a 2005 HW256, and as the original post states, the is no opening on top off the power lift box to manually crank it up.

Just looking to be prepared if ever run into an issue.
TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

There is a 7/16" bolt head on the left side looking at the winch from the front. It is down in a hole, and the hole is supposed to be full of grease. I have my battery box mounted on top of the winch, and have the battery sitting to the right in the box. I can put a long ratchet extension on a 7/16" socket, put in a socket to drill adapter, and run the winch manually up and down. HOWEVER, THE 7/16" HEAD/BOLT/NUT just snapped off today because it's part of a 1/4" bolt or stud, and so far I haven't figured a way to raise of lower the roof. I've ordered a replacement winch P30001 for the 55000 orig equipment. Hope the new one is more reliable.
cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

I have the same issue! Where is the hole? Do I need to remove battery mount and battery?
mdfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

looking at front of hitch: on left side there should be a pop out hole cover (unless your battery is mounted on top of your winch.) If that is the case, remove the battery box and note the hole, or covered hole, on the left side. Down in that is a bunch of grease. Embedded in the grease is the top of the winch motor shaft. It has a worm gear welded on to the shaft, and a 1/4" bolt with a hex head that a 7/16" socket will fit. You'll need an extension for your ratchet or drill to reach it probably. I use a 12" extension on my drill, but I am reaching down through my battery box where I cut a hole out for this purpose. Advice: DON'T USE A DRILL ON IT UNLESS YOU KNOW FIRST THAT THE MOTOR WILL TURN. OTHERWISE YOU WILL SNAP OFF THE 1/4" BOLT WITH THE 7/16" head. (First hand experience). My motor was all crudded up inside, and frozen on the bottom end of the shaft. I disassembled the motor, cleaned it up inside good and put a little grease on the end of the shaft, and put it back together. I had been able to grind the weld off the bolt which was left in the end of the shaft, and even screwed another in. But it immediately unscrewed when I put a drill on it. However, I got the motor to work just fine, and it raised my camper flawlessly. I have another ordered though because without the 1/4" bolt with the 7/16" head you're screwed if you're out camping. There is not enough protection from the weather for the motor if your camper is parked outside, so I have to come u p with a solution for that.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #7

The new winch came in, with new covers, and there is no hole to access the 7/16" bolt head for backup use. So, for those asking where the hole is, maybe you do not have one either. I bought my camper used, and so it may be that someone had cut out that hole and it didn't come from the factory that way. You may have to remove your cover to access the backup bolt head unless you cut a hole in your winch cover.