Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

Rockwood HW276 Information? Mainly height for storage.

Hello,

New to the forum and new to pop up trailers. I am in the market and ready to move on a 2015 Rockwood HW276, but I had a concern about storing it. The length is fine, but my concern was about the height of the unit when it is folded. The brochure says 5' 11", but I read somewhere that does not include the A/C unit, but the A/C unit is standard on the high wall units as far as I understood.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Also, anything I should know about getting in to pop up camping? I love tent camping but really like having my own bathroom and shower as well as other amenities.
avengence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat. I am looking at the exact same pop up. I read somewhere on here you should be fine with a low profile ac. They are 9.5" versus 14". If that's the case, I'm good by a few inches.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurticus View Post
I'm in the same boat. I am looking at the exact same pop up. I read somewhere on here you should be fine with a low profile ac. They are 9.5" versus 14". If that's the case, I'm good by a few inches.

I believe that is true. My HW296 came with a low profile A/C unit. It does look like it might fit in my garage. I have yet to back it in yet as I store it outside and I just need to hook it up and experiment.

The beauty of the low profile is it saves those few inches that you need to fit.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

I have put mine in the garage It was tight But it fit.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gwright View Post
I have put mine in the garage It was tight But it fit.
Thank you for the reply. How tall is the opening on your garage? Is it the standard 7ft?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Never measured it but I would say it looks about 7 foot.
My suburban fits inside and it is taller than the trailer plus A/C

Click image for larger version

Name:	HW296 First picture.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	81601
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

First for your height - if your luck is anything like mine, it'll be exactly 2 inches too tall to fit into your garage and 1,000 lbs too heavy to be towed with your current TV!

Seriously - no idea on the height.

As for camping in a pop-up, we did for 10 years. It was great fun and really got us to a lot of fun/interesting places. Definitely recommend as a starting point (and for some it is an ending point too), but be prepared for the upgrade bug. A "real" bathroom, easier setup/teardown, etc will start to weigh on your mind. Only you can decide if making the jump from PUP to hard-walled camper is for you.

(That jump, IMHO, is just as large as the tent to PUP jump!)

Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
First for your height - if your luck is anything like mine, it'll be exactly 2 inches too tall to fit into your garage and 1,000 lbs too heavy to be towed with your current TV!

Seriously - no idea on the height.

As for camping in a pop-up, we did for 10 years. It was great fun and really got us to a lot of fun/interesting places. Definitely recommend as a starting point (and for some it is an ending point too), but be prepared for the upgrade bug. A "real" bathroom, easier setup/teardown, etc will start to weigh on your mind. Only you can decide if making the jump from PUP to hard-walled camper is for you.

(That jump, IMHO, is just as large as the tent to PUP jump!)

Brian
Awesome, thank you for the input. We were originally going to go with a standard travel trailer but the cost to store it would be the same as the monthly payment. With this we can store it in our garage, which makes it easy to get out and get ready as well as saves a TON on storage costs.

I am hoping some day to get a hard walled travel trailer, I grew up in a traveleze trailer from the 80s and that thing was a blast.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
REV

I've the same 2015 hw276 and The ac unit is 9.5 in. And box is 5'9 measured over the axle fits in my garage with about an inch to spare.
REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

We also started tent camping . Moved to a used pup to see how we would like it. We did, so we bought a new one. Overall we had a pup for 12 years. Great times and many memories when the kids were growing up. About a year ago we bought a hybrid. Shamrock 23ikss. See how this goes? We are still basically tent people. We simply pack our stuff in the tent on wheels instead of in the van or suv. If you like the canvas experience you will like the pup. Have fun and be safe.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Sand D

Height

We have a HW29SC, this is the one with the dual axel, which makes it higher than the single axel, plus the air conditioner height made it impossible for us to store in the garage. Our neighbors have a single axel and he lets the air out of the tires slightly just to get through the frame of the garage door and that works for him.
Sand D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #12

I just checked out the trailer again and it actually does have the lower profile AC unit. I saw the premier units next to the HW units and the HW AC units are a LOT lower. This should fit in my garage no problem because my garage door actually opens up past the opening of the garage so I get the whole 84" clearance.

Worse comes to worse I will let some air out of the tires.

Tags
rockwood, storage