RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Rockwood HW277 water filter

I recently purchased a 2011 Rockwood HW277 pop up camper. The manual references a Water-Pur filter. However, I canít locate said filter. Iíve followed the water lines as best I can, but canít locate. Can anyone provide help with this or confirm that this year & model does or does not have a water filter?? Thanks in advance.
Franksgoldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #2

To the right of the fridge there is a small cabinet over the converter. Open that cabinet and you will see that the bottom of that cabinet has 4 screws holding it down. Take those out and you will find the filter. Lay down a ton of towels as the converter is right there so obviously unplug first.

Many campers have just removed the filter housing and direct connected both sides and used an external filter due to its insane placement above all of the trailers electrical.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

my filter was in the cabinet that Hondaman mentions - i did not have to take out the cabinet bottom to get to it. but i did remove it. since this is a older camper, it is likely the previous owner also removed it. if the PO did remove it, you may see holes in the cabinet side facing the front of the camper where the filter was originally attached.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I suspect the previous owner may have removed it. I’ll attach a picture tomorrow of this cabinet and see what you think.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #6

My filter was in the cabinet that GalsofEscape mentions.
I never installed the filter, but I did leave the filter housing in place in the event a subsequent owner might want to use the filter.

We are on our own well with excellent water. We boondock exclusively, so I only drink our well water. Thus no filter.

Important points:
1. There should be a filter housing wrench to help remove the clear plastic housing.
2. As HondaMan174 said, bring plenty of towels, because the filter lives either just above all the electrical stuff...or in the space with the electrical stuff.
3. If you drain your water system, you can be sure that the only water you must deal with when removing the filter housing is the water in that housing. The outside shower is very close, and you can use it as a "low point drain" along with the low point drains at the curb-side rear of the rig. Open your faucet and shower inside to help the water drain out.
4. I had to replace my pump, and it quickly became obvious from the rat's nest of wires in that space that the easiest way to handle things was to actually remove the converter/fuse/breaker panel from the front of the cabinet. I didn't disconnect anything. I just removed the screws and slid it out to give me room to work and a better chance of keeping things dry. When done, I just slid it back into place, installed the 4 screws, installed the front cover, and it was done.

Before you button up, fill and pressurize the water system and check for leaks. Nothing ever leaked in my rig, but you certainly don't want leaks around all that electrical gear.

You'll soon discover that the shelves, etc. in the rig are made out of tissue paper, and they are attached to tissue paper. The small 3/4" x 3/4" cleats upon which the shelf sits are attached with wood screws to 1/8" thick paneling. It's a joke. While you're in there, do yourself a favor. Mount all the cleats on the paneling using Gorilla Glue. Screws will act as "clamps" while the glue dries. Then use screws to attach the shelf to the cleats. In my rig, the cleats kind of fell off into my hand when I removed the shelf .

Be careful where you drive screws. There's a LOT of wiring in that space. The factory actually drove a screw right into 14/2 120 volt wire in that space...and they just backed out the screw and left the damaged wire!!

While you're in there, strengthen this shelf. Use the glue to make a proper joint between the cleat and the wall paneling, because screws simply don't hold in 1/8" paneling...but the glue does wonders. One warning. Gorilla Glue acts a bit like Great Stuff foam insulation...it expands and makes a mess. In this application, that's not an issue. In others, adjust accordingly.

Other applications. When a screw falls out...as they will now and again...especially if you boondock...use a slightly larger screw and Gorilla Glue to put it back. It will never fall out again. I keep a well-stocked kit of stainless steel screws, bolts, nuts, etc for these repairs. Stainless won't rust and it's compatible with aluminum. The difference in cost for small quantities is insignificant. Over the years in my HW-277, I had to replace screws holding the table base, microwave, all manner of cabinetry, appliance rails outside, and, and, and.... Upsize slightly and add Gorilla Glue. One and done.

If you need black screws, you can buy them, but not in stainless. It's easier to have all stainless in the right sizes, and paint the ones you need to be black. Screw them into cardboard, use Rustoleum to spray the screw head, let it dry 24 hours (so it won't get banged up when you screw it in). If you get some Gorilla Glue ooze, spray a bit of paint in a paper cup and use a disposable artist brush to touch up. Easy peasy.

While I'm blustering, if you have the outdoor kitchen, the sink drain flexes a lot, and it may eventually crack. As it turns out, you can repair it with new hose...or better, you can get the thin-wall plastic drain plumbing for a bathroom sink and use a short piece as a sleeve inside the flex pipe and hold it with a couple of hose clamps. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
It helps to use sandpaper to taper the end of the pipe a bit and add a little lubricant (e.g. dish soap) to help ease the pipe into the hose. I used the same technique when my fresh-tank fill hose developed a leak where a screw through the floor (holding a cabinet) chaffed the hose and made a hole. I trimmed the screw point with a dremel tool, then patched the pipe with a sleeve cut from drain pipe. Worked better than new.

More on plumbing: If you have the outdoor kitchen, the inside kitchen drain plumbing must Tee into the outside kitchen drain plumbing and then head off to the grey tank. Once again, if you boondock over rough terrain, that Tee may crack. Since this is all ridged plastic plumbing, that presents a real problem. Answer: Fernco fittings. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds You'll have to cobble in a coupling or two with some straight pipe, but the Fernco Tee allows you to "insert" the Tee in place in that rigid pipe!! Not only that, but since the Tee cracked from stresses in the first place, this flexible rubber Tee solves the stress problem.

If you boondock...you will soon discover that your stairs are VERY vulnerable. You can see how tortured mine are. They hang down in harm's way. I used to carry a 6# sledge to straighten them out so they were usable once on site...then again at home. So I quickly bit the bullet and added a lift kit to the torsion axle...you can see it at the far end of the axle in the pic. That adds about 3 1/2" of lift to the rig. You'll probably need to get a different ball mount so the rig rides level down the road. AND you'll need a GOOD step ladder so you can deploy and secure your awning. And stowing the bed ends requires a bit of extra gymnastics. I am 6'6" tall, yet I used one of these to help push in the canvas. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds Soft and sturdy...with a long reach. I had a 3-step ladder and it was BARELY enough even though I'm tall. 4 steps minimum. But to be able to go essentially anywhere my 4WD pickup can go, it was worth it. And let's face it, the roof on a HW is way up there even if it's not lifted. You need a really good ladder.

What's that other contraption under my rig, you ask? That supports the freshwater tank. After years of boondocking, mine gave up the ghost. I replaced the tank and used this super-easy to make and install support to keep it from failing again. The picture explains the "design". That's just 1/2" galvanized water pipe...more than strong enough for the job. And it fit in the "looms" already installed on the underside of the frame with no mods.

If you're going to boondock, ask me about solar. I had solar on mine, and I could camp essentially indefinitely. I can help with how to install panels on the roof...a whole other story. See pic of my solar mounted on the roof.

Much more than you asked for, but if you're new to this rig, there's a lot that can be helpful.

P.S. Be sure to treat your canvas...especially the seams. You're about to enter the 10th year for this rig, and a little TLC can keep the canvas from falling apart. And this tape can be very helpful for small punctures and tears so long as they are NOT on the seams. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...xoCGsgQAvD_BwE Take your time, round the corners, have something solid behind the canvas (and a helper to hold it), and rub it down thoroughly. Works great. There are other brands, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Support.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	242447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Solar.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	242448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Stairs2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	242449  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Wow - that is a tremendous amount of valuable information. I really appreciate it! I really like how you braced up the fresh water tank. Well, here are a couple pictures of the cabinet you all have referenced. It appears the previous owner has done away with the water filter. Iím going to assume it should be located between these two water lines and mounted to the side of the cabinet where the screw holes are located. If Iím wrong yaíll please let me know. Would you all recommend putting the filtering system back in place there or go a different route?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D0794D3-8F6B-48DA-8833-9A2077C1F57C.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	242457   Click image for larger version

Name:	092FB527-1B95-496D-8364-35961A7E43C2.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	242458  
Old 11-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #8

yep, it was in the cabinet and has been removed. the filter would have been where the connector is in the blue lines.

We also removed it as the canister had the tendency to crack and i did not want any water on the electrical stuff. additionally the filter holder was attached to the cabinet side with no support and any time i removed the canister it felt like i was going to rip the holder out of the wall.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

Thanks a lot for verifying this for me!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksgoldbug View Post
<< SNIP>> Well, here are a couple pictures of the cabinet you all have referenced. It appears the previous owner has done away with the water filter. Iím going to assume it should be located between these two water lines and mounted to the side of the cabinet where the screw holes are located. If Iím wrong yaíll please let me know. Would you all recommend putting the filtering system back in place there or go a different route?
The good news is, if you want to add a filter, you can. It would take some finagling, but you still have fittings that can be adapted, so you could kluge in a filter like this one. You may not need it, but if you use "city water" at RV parks, you might want to add one. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/eve...9EV910072.html

Of course, you could add an in-line filter on your city water supply hose, too.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Taste...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Illustrations, not recommendations. There are many filters to choose from. If you don't filter your water at home, and you use the fresh tank and water from home, no filter needed.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
if you use "city water" at RV parks, you might want to add one. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/eve...9EV910072.html
That particular filter only has a flow rate of .75 gallons per minute. It's made for small demand water usage such as a coffee or ice maker.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #12

I took out my water filter as well and just left the housing. Since it was above the converter and water pump, anything spilled from it was going to cause an electrical short.

I had previously used a garbage bag to entrap it so no water would get on electrical but some always did and it was a pain in the butt. So I finally decided it wasn't worth it as none of my other 4 new campers had a water filter.

I just use the Camco blue TastePure inline filter on the water supply that I fill the tank with or the city water hookup. It's not as good as the house hold filter obviously, as any particulates in the fresh water tank from minerals, could make it to the water pump (which has it's own filter in a bad spot). It's worth the sacrifice for the major inconvenience and electrical risk that it requires to be used.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, water, water filter