Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

Rockwood HW296 exterior grill

Hi all, I just had a question about use of the outside grill on our Rockwood HW296. The dealer said not to use the grill while the awning is up. We bought our old popup used and cooked on the grill under the awning many times. I can understand putting the awning in on a TT where it is a fairly simple and quick process, but it is such a pain to roll up the awning on a popup that this would render that grill completely useless for us.

The tech that told us this knew nothing about popups so I'm hoping he was just mistaken.

Is it really not advisable to use the grill under the awning? If so, how is it OK to use it so close to the canvas on the sides of the popup?
imp81318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #2

I always considered that warning as more "advice" than anything. There is a risk using a grill under a canopy and starting a fire. I did quite a bit of grilling under the canopy of our Jayco popup when we had it years ago. We did both charcoal and gas grills. I was very careful when using charcoal due to flareups. I would start the grill in the open and when the coals were ready, I'd roll it under the canopy if needed. Sometimes we had a gas grill going and we'd move the stove top to the outside hookups and do all the cooking under the canopy. JUST BE CAREFUL.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #3

Thanks, WolfPaq. That was what I thought too but the tech specifically said it would ruin the awning.
imp81318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #4

the grill manual also states not to use it under the awning - that never stopped us with our HW277. (and yes, the highwall popup awning is almost impossible to put away without lowering the roof.). The warning states that there is the possibility of the awning catching fire - this is one of those covering their ***** recommendations by the grill manufacturer.

it never ruined our awning.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

I use our grill under the awning if I am grilling something like chicken where I do not have to worrying about flare ups at all otherwise I use the grill withe the table top. Set up I also bought the adapter to use a small propane cylinder I can attach pics if any one is interested
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh4984 View Post
I use our grill under the awning if I am grilling something like chicken where I do not have to worrying about flare ups at all otherwise I use the grill withe the table top. Set up I also bought the adapter to use a small propane cylinder I can attach pics if any one is interested
I would be interested in information on the adapter!

I have also cooked chicken and pork loin with the awning above, but do worry about burgers or foods that might flare up. I really don't want to carry another grill, so there ability to use a small talk would be awesome.
geojag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #7

here is a link for the adapter I have also purchased the caring bag from this site also

https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/grills-accessories/
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #8

Bologna.
Sure if the fire is flaring up all sorts of stuff can happen. I have had 2 pop ups, a Fleetwood small and now an HW296.
You MAY get some smoke accumulation on the underside of the awning but more important is to check that the cabin door does not scrape the underside when opening. THAT will tear the awning pretty fast.
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #9

The bracket that holds it to side of trailer also stands up to make a table top unit. You just need to buy a longer hose.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #10

The reason they say not to grill under the awing is because the awning has the potential to fall into the stove from wind. You will NEVER set fire to you awning under any "normal" circumstances. I use grass anchors (the screw in type) and then ratchet strap the awning from the top of the out side leg to the anchor on both ends. Ive had it up in 30mph winds. It doesn't move an inch. Like mentioned earlier without lowering the top or getting a ladder its almost impossible to put away while the tt is set up. Thats why I strap mine down. Once it's up its staying up till we leave.
Itwrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, grill, rockwood