Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 04:17 AM   #1

Rockwood Premier 2716G Breakaway Switch

Hi all,

For reasons I don’t remember, we’re importing a Rockwood Premier into the U.K. and trying to get any kind of sensible information regarding anything has been nigh on impossible ! -hopefully my fellow owners may be able to help.

I just wanted to know whether the 2017 premier is fitted with a breskaway switch / cable as standard ?

Thanks (and Hello !)

Bob
Awkwardbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:41 AM   #2
Site Team

If it has electric brakes, which I think the 2516G does, it should come with a breakaway switch.
But is it being converted to UK electrical? If so, all bets are off.
By the way, Welcome to FRF from WAY across the Pond.
We were in the UK a few years ago but only made it as far north as the Lakes District.
Loved our experience except how much more expensive the UK was, compared to even France and Italy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #3

Hey Thanks,

Yeah, the conversion process is littered with contradictory advice and information.

Thankfully I’m doing the conversion myself.

The biggest headache is the 2” ball and the extreme tongue weights on US trailers. We have a fairly robust Range Rover and the max tongue weight is 150KG (330lbs) which, over here, is colossal but even this modest trailer tent is something like 370lbs as standard !

And don’t get me me started in the brake controller issue.

But I digress, I hope to document the process so that others may find it easier !

Bob

-oh, and if you’re over this way again, come to Scotland -it’s an amazing country and you’ll be made very welcome !
Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkwardbob View Post

-oh, and if you’re over this way again, come to Scotland -it’s an amazing country and you’ll be made very welcome !
I'm a big fan of Scottish comics, especially Billy Connolly and Craig Ferguson(from Glasgow). Saw Craig in concert about 5 years ago.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

I am in the US but considering shipping a Rockwood 2280BEHSP over in a couple of years.

The breakaway switch electrically applies the brakes.
By my reading the UK emergency brakes need to be mechanical.
Presumably you will also fit a mechanical handbrake?
Quite often these double as a break away with the cable attached to the opposite end of the lever to the handle so as the trailer breaks away it yanks the handbrake on.

There are some Dexter electric drums that come fitted with tabs to connect a mechanical handbrake cable. Mine does not have these buy I may swap out to them before shipping so it arrives with them right

I spoke to one of the US caravan dealers in the UK and they say they can lower the nose weight. I'd like to know by what method.

There is another thread here on the very same for one being brought to Scotland https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...od-210387.html

Also this is useful for making it UK road legal https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-to-get-a-pass

Let us know progress and pictures especially on the hitch and brakes.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

Sorry, that’s funny, my partner posted that thread !

We’ve done a bit of work so far, and have opted for the Curt Echo brake controller as it satisfies the requirement that the controller be mounted on the trailer rather than the towing vehicle.

From my understanding, the emergency brakes are fine to be electrical as long as the power to them is not supplied by the tow vehicle.

Similarly my main car has an electronic handbrake, I see no reason why the parking brake need necessarily be mechanical rather than electronic on a trailer -although if I’ve read that wrongly, there is, as you say, a swappable dexter part with the necessary hardware. We saw them on etrailer.

The biggest headache has been the hitch. As you’ll know, it is illegal to fit a non EU type-approved tow ball to a current uk vehicle.

So we looked into the potential modifications needed to change to a 50mm hitch.
Annoyingly, all the 50mm hitches here which look like a straightish swap are only rated at 750kg (unbraked trailer limit) and all of the higher rated ones have the hydraulic overrun braking system -potentially requiring a completely different alko axle.

It was looking like a custom job and a big bill and headache

However...

It isn’t illegal to fit a non-standard (2”) ball to a car registered prior to August 1st 1998 or to a commercial vehicle.

So, to get round this in the short term, we’ve bought a 1998 Range Rover to use as a tow vehicle. It can pull 3.5 tonnes and take a much heftier hitch weight. We picked up an adaptor plate for a flange-style towbar which wil take the 2” ball from a company called Watling Engineering - who I found much more knowledgeable and helpful than any other dealer I’ve spoken to (and I suspect I’ve spoken to the one you mention also, and was left less than impressed as he just couldn’t be bothered).

I’ll let you know how we get on !

-Does your premier have the necessary breakaway switch ?

Cheers,

Bob
Old 08-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #7

Exemption from IVA

There’s also this handy section in the guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFA39283-14D8-4F59-839A-F2960350B24D.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	236111  
Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkwardbob View Post
Sorry, that’s funny, my partner posted that thread !

We’ve done a bit of work so far, and have opted for the Curt Echo brake controller as it satisfies the requirement that the controller be mounted on the trailer rather than the towing vehicle.

From my understanding, the emergency brakes are fine to be electrical as long as the power to them is not supplied by the tow vehicle.

Similarly my main car has an electronic handbrake, I see no reason why the parking brake need necessarily be mechanical rather than electronic on a trailer -although if I’ve read that wrongly, there is, as you say, a swappable dexter part with the necessary hardware. We saw them on etrailer.

The biggest headache has been the hitch. As you’ll know, it is illegal to fit a non EU type-approved tow ball to a current uk vehicle.

So we looked into the potential modifications needed to change to a 50mm hitch.
Annoyingly, all the 50mm hitches here which look like a straightish swap are only rated at 750kg (unbraked trailer limit) and all of the higher rated ones have the hydraulic overrun braking system -potentially requiring a completely different alko axle.

It was looking like a custom job and a big bill and headache

However...

It isn’t illegal to fit a non-standard (2”) ball to a car registered prior to August 1st 1998 or to a commercial vehicle.

So, to get round this in the short term, we’ve bought a 1998 Range Rover to use as a tow vehicle. It can pull 3.5 tonnes and take a much heftier hitch weight. We picked up an adaptor plate for a flange-style towbar which wil take the 2” ball from a company called Watling Engineering - who I found much more knowledgeable and helpful than any other dealer I’ve spoken to (and I suspect I’ve spoken to the one you mention also, and was left less than impressed as he just couldn’t be bothered).

I’ll let you know how we get on !

-Does your premier have the necessary breakaway switch ?

Cheers,

Bob
Mine's a Forest River Rockwood pop-up
I think they need the breakaway switch to be legal here anyway. The weights levels are different and even differ by state so it's a muddle.
Mine has the breakaway which puts the electric brakes on.

For an EU compliant hitch, could you grind of the US one, bolt on an EU one of the right rating but just not use the underrun braking to trigger anything? I assume you'd get the bump as the hitch compresses under braking which is one of the main benefits to the US system....

My thoughts are if I'm putting the mechanicals in place they may as well operate the em-brakes too... As the the day they are needed the trailer battery could be dead.

Have a look at what they do in Australia and NZ as they seem to have a machup of US and UK/EU standards...
E.g. I guess this is what you would need:
https://www.trailersrus.com.au/elect...-hand-brake-br

My plan if I do bring it back to the UK is to do the brake prep work (handbrake and brake controller on traiker) before I ship it, possibly the lights as well.... That way it would roll off at Southpton tow ready... Sticking point is the hitch.

I have read the other way around the EU type approved hitch issue is an non type approved imported vehicle as you tow vehicle..
E.g. if you have access to a US import pickup you could use the 2" receiver hitch to tow a us trailer.

The nose weight is also a killer...
I am towing with a Nissan Pathfinder with 2" receiver that slots straight into the chassis, with a tongue weight max of 600lb (272kg)

The EU towbars are mounted totally different so I'd be lucky to get 150kg on a EU Spec Pathfinder and towbar.

Tags
breakaway, rockwood, switch