Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Rockwood roof is bubbling ... should I pop it ?

We've owned this trailer for maybe two years, we had bought it used. There was some water damage to the trailer but the roof didn't look that bad. I tarped it all winter and this spring I noticed these wicked bubbles in the filon.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I can tell there is air behind the bubbles as some of them I can poke down... but this big bubble ... what is going on there. How do I relieve the pressure in that filon and get it to sit back down.

Could this of been caused because i used RV flexseal along the edges of the long metal side trim pieces and the plastic side caps Huh?
kingbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Yes, please pop it:
Gearyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

That looks like ABS plastic (legos) and it will sometime expand unless its vacuum applied. Coleman popups used to have a whole 1 piece roof sandwiching foam with a lifetime warranty. They found out later that it wouldn't work as previously thought.

The solvent Toluene can soften (like heating PVC) and actually dissolve it. I used to repair cracks in my roof by dissolving old legos into a paste and spreading that paste into the crack. Worked very well.

Maybe the solvent can be used to soften and allow you to press down the bubble or cut out a sliver of the bubble and paste it back together like stitching an open wound? Check first to make sure it's ABS though.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #4

How are you progressing kingbain?
I'm in the process of fixing this exact same problem with my 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 (as in, I was working on it 5 min ago and came here looking for advice). I have bubbles in each of the corners, center front and near the roof vent.
My current plan, unless others have better ideas or experience is to; pump some viscus glue in from the sides using a large syringe, heat the filon (just learned what it was called from this post, thanks for that) with a heat gun to make it more pliable, and lay 50lb bags of sand on top of the trouble areas. I'll have the sides of the popup masked off to protect from excess glue being pushed out. If everything stays adhered, I plan to paint the whole roof is RustOleum Topside Marine paint.
There are some bubbles in the center that I may drill 1/8 holes in the filon to pump the glue in and patch those with JB Weld.

My questions are,
Has anyone else successfully fixed these bubbles?
What method did you use?
How does my plan sound?
Do you have good ideas as to what kind of glue to use?
Better ideas for what kind of paint to use?

I currently have the side rails, end caps and all the caulk removed.

Sorry to highjack your post and thanks in advance for any help.

Totally new to this pop up camping thing....
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, roof