RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Dixon's Last Resort

Question Roof bounce when lifting w/pwr lift??

K all, need some input on the ??? roof raising issue.

Noticed that when I'm raising the roof w/the pwr winch after I have the unit leveled, that about 1/2 up thru the roof travel.....it starts to bounce /jerk up/down until it stops when it gets to the roof max height limit?

If I stop winching. It stops bouncing?

Now the bounce/jerk isn't violent.... just a little unsettling. When I do get the roof raised an in place I jam in the safety bars asap.

It's done this from day 1 when I picked it up in June.

I've greased the cable fitting underneath, oiled/lubed the lift arms - cleaned then used graphite on the winch system - no change? (well it goes DOWN a lot smoother)

To me... something is sticking/binding a bit, causing resistance, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
That or I have a bent lift spring somewhere. ( I did buy it used from a dealer who didn't have a CLUE about pop-up campers)

I will add that my old hand-cranked '96 STARCRAFT 2606 had a tendency to bounce a bit as well - AFTER I installed the A/C unit
At the time I attributed that to the small lift springs/arms and the added weight.
Now my 2014 Fleetwood w/A/C is doing the same thing. Mind you it's a much bigger roof and I am using a pwr winch (no I haven't tried cranking it by hand)

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

I had the same issue with my P/U when purchased it. Chased down the things you have and decided to take a look at the cable attachment to the winch. I was was shocked at what I saw. Th cable was a rats nest of cable wrapped around, looped around and coiled cable around the spindle. I pulled all of the cable out and found the the cable was not attached properly to the spindle and found that the cable had been cut because of not being attached or wound around cable spindle. With the covers off I was able to see the cable slipping as the roof went up or down. Replaced cable and attached and wound it correctly and the bounce was almost gone, I can live with it.
Second part of this story was that the winch was so loud raising or lowering that I was actually was asked not to use the power winch at a campground when we where on vacation in June. I totally understand, I hate that noisy bugger. Decided to remove it and go to manual winch, bounce all gone and a whole lot quiter. Good Luck to You.

Tags
lift, roo, roof