Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Roof issues.

My father is giving me his 2000 Jayco eagle 12udk.
It has some issues. Mainly the roof. It leaks due to snow and ice build up this past winter causing the seam in the middle to break and bow inwards.

He’s started a basic repair with some roof seal but it’s very basic so far

I’m thinking about ways to repair the roof wether it’s a rubber roof over it or something. Any advice. Doesn’t have to be perfect. Just sealed. As I said. It bows inward in the middle a bit. So maybe a way to level the roof while sealing it.

The goal will be to have it get us through a couple of camping seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8324875E-EA02-4488-A0AF-4D658CE23C7C.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	209220   Click image for larger version

Name:	07EFDC31-D2D7-49A7-B19C-7636281D222C.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	209221   Click image for larger version

Name:	611A69B8-7F59-4799-9FF4-996C6E67D07A.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	209222   Click image for larger version

Name:	E19E26B0-7F79-4238-AA37-34577EFF2356.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	209223  
Wonderrbrread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Well, the pictures look like he created more work for you, WTH was he thinking?
You can buy internal roof supports that run across the roof to support the additional weight of an ac unit. I’d either buy or make them to support the roof from the inside.

If it were me, well, I’d make him scrape that crap off! Then, I would then remove the center vinyl strip, exposing the screws that hold the metal strip down. I’d remove all the screws, carefully pull the strip off, inspect what kind of damage you have, seal the seams with rv tape, then lay a new metal strip, new screws, new vinyl strip and seal the edges with actual RV sealant. And you’ll have a repair that looks professional, seals the camper and lasts a long time.

Any time my pop-up was stored, I lowered the tongue all the way down. This ensures water runs off roof rather than pools. I also laid several sheets of plywood over the roof to protect from hail damage in summer and snow build up in winter.

EternaBond RSW-6-50 RoofSeal Sealant Tape, White - 6" x 50' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RNB70A..._xmMiDb5W8SGZW

Measure yours before ordering:
Camco Vinyl Trim Insert with UV Inhibitors for Extended Life - Replace Cracked and Stained RV Trim Inserts (1" x 100', White) (25202) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLW5M..._6mMiDb3BBCNTN

99 F350 Dually 7.3L
Colorado Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

The seal opening is one issue. The caving in of the roof on the inside of the camper is another. You may have trapped water or structural damage.

If you can get it open and see what's going on, you can make an educated decision what to do.

If you have a lot of damage, you may want to look into a used roof from a RV junk yard or find another cheap Jayco with a similar roof, and buy it for parts.

Good luck on getting it repaired.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Wildcat View Post
Well, the pictures look like he created more work for you, WTH was he thinking?
You can buy internal roof supports that run across the roof to support the additional weight of an ac unit. I’d either buy or make them to support the roof from the inside.

If it were me, well, I’d make him scrape that crap off! Then, I would then remove the center vinyl strip, exposing the screws that hold the metal strip down. I’d remove all the screws, carefully pull the strip off, inspect what kind of damage you have, seal the seams with rv tape, then lay a new metal strip, new screws, new vinyl strip and seal the edges with actual RV sealant. And you’ll have a repair that looks professional, seals the camper and lasts a long time.

Any time my pop-up was stored, I lowered the tongue all the way down. This ensures water runs off roof rather than pools. I also laid several sheets of plywood over the roof to protect from hail damage in summer and snow build up in winter.

EternaBond RSW-6-50 RoofSeal Sealant Tape, White - 6" x 50' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RNB70A..._xmMiDb5W8SGZW

Measure yours before ordering:
Camco Vinyl Trim Insert with UV Inhibitors for Extended Life - Replace Cracked and Stained RV Trim Inserts (1" x 100', White) (25202) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLW5M..._6mMiDb3BBCNTN
X2, only thing I would do different is once I have everything sealed is put the Eternabond Tape over the center trim.

BTW, I'm resealing seams, repacking bearings and replacing tires on a friends '92 Jayco Jay Series 1208 Deluxe. In exchange, DW and I get to take the popup to Glacier NP and Columbia Icefields for 2 weeks.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof