RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Roof lowering issues with Powerwinch

As we were packing up to leave the campsite this weekend, went to crank down the top and it only went down about two feet.

The camper is a 2014 Rockwood 2514G with the Powerwinch system. It cranked down just fine to that point with no issues. Battery is fine. I could crank it right back up to full height, then crank down, again and it would stop at the exact same spot.

So, I figured out how to manually crank the roof down to get it closed so we could get home. What is odd, is as I got it lowered, I was able to crank it back up with no issues, just as normal, but it would not lower.

I am not sure where to look or what to check out. The motor seems to be fine, my battery is fine and fully charged. Is it possible the limiter needs adjusted? Not sure why that would randomly get out of adjustment after all this time, but who knows. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Professional Texan
 
TexasBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploreco View Post
As we were packing up to leave the campsite this weekend, went to crank down the top and it only went down about two feet.

The camper is a 2014 Rockwood 2514G with the Powerwinch system. It cranked down just fine to that point with no issues. Battery is fine. I could crank it right back up to full height, then crank down, again and it would stop at the exact same spot.

So, I figured out how to manually crank the roof down to get it closed so we could get home. What is odd, is as I got it lowered, I was able to crank it back up with no issues, just as normal, but it would not lower.

I am not sure where to look or what to check out. The motor seems to be fine, my battery is fine and fully charged. Is it possible the limiter needs adjusted? Not sure why that would randomly get out of adjustment after all this time, but who knows. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
I would guess that you have an intermittent connection or break in the wiring. While lowering the wire bends and looses conductivity and the motor stops. I would inspect the wiring and wire routing. You could also temporarily run a "bypass" wire directly from the switch to the motor then if it goes all the way down you know the wire is at fault. Also realize the break could be in the ground wire. These things are the things I would start with. I'm sure others may have other ideas.
__________________
Texas Bob
2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 Z71
2013 Prime Time Tracer Executive 2640 RLS

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 214
Sounds like your lower limit switch need adjustment

Look at post #6 on Another Motorized Lift Question- not working.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Thanks for the replies so far and I will check will do some diagnostics from post #6 in the link. I have done maintenance on the lift post and the cable system underneath, but have not touched the motor itself, so I will check that this weekend.

Thanks
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 306
Did you try the motor at any point during the hand-crank down process?

Recently had an issue where ours would not lower from full up. After hand cranking down about a foot the down resumed operation. I believe it had gone above the upper limit switch in that case. Seems like your low limit switch might be having the issue.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
Did you try the motor at any point during the hand-crank down process?

Recently had an issue where ours would not lower from full up. After hand cranking down about a foot the down resumed operation. I believe it had gone above the upper limit switch in that case. Seems like your low limit switch might be having the issue.
Yes, after we had moved it about half way down by manual crank, I tried it again, actually in multiple places. It would always raise, but would never lower. So, maybe there is some truth to the limiter switch getting out of sorts. Just curious why now after 3 years. But I will look at that this weekend.

Thanks
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Is that the older style POS powerwinch that required a lot of grease, or the newer style?
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Is that the older style POS powerwinch that required a lot of grease, or the newer style?
I am pretty sure it is the newer style unit. And the reason I think that is because when we bought the unit new in in November of 13, we commented on how loud it was and the tech guy told us that it was a newer version of the motor that was supposed to be better but they were louder. I will have to double check the manual again, but I didn't see anywhere that they said it required any maintaining.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Is that the older style POS powerwinch that required a lot of grease, or the newer style?
This is the one I have. Looks different than the ones I have seen in other pictures. I think it is the P92001 maybe. I tried adjusting the limiter switches a little, but that didn't seem to change anything. Goes all the way up just fine, but still only goes down about two feet then stops. I wasn't sure how much to turn the limiter switches, so I didn't mess with it too much.

Debating after reading a few more most, if I should try and mess with it some more before taking it to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_150314.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	123255  
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 214
After looking at the Carefree web site it appears you have the P55012. Mine stopped (P55000) once before, disconnected battery took cover off and removed each wire connection one at a time cleaned and tighten each one believe there was 8-10. No more problems after that. Here is the manual for the winch that you may have based on your picture.
You may want to check it out. Hope you get it fixed

http://www.e-carefree.com/documentat...h%20Manual.pdf
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
After looking at the Carefree web site it appears you have the P55012. Mine stopped (P55000) once before, disconnected battery took cover off and removed each wire connection one at a time cleaned and tighten each one believe there was 8-10. No more problems after that. Here is the manual for the winch that you may have based on your picture.
You may want to check it out. Hope you get it fixed

http://www.e-carefree.com/documentat...h%20Manual.pdf
Thanks, yes, that is the one I have. My manual that came with the camper isn't as detailed as that one.

I went back out this afternoon and decided to adjust the limiter switch some more, but this time I moved it quite a bit more than I had previously. Thought I had nothing to loose. Then tried it again, and the roof lowered . Raised and lowered it about four more times this afternoon and it worked fine. So, will keep an eye on it and carry my drill with me for manual operation if need be

Thanks for all the help! Maybe it is something with the limiter switch that is starting to go out.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Roo 235S
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 214
Good to hear you got it fixed.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power, roo, roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.