RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Roof Sag repair 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1950

Recently purchased a NTU 2007 Rockwood 1950. First thing I noticed when I got it home was the roof was sagging and created a pond on the roof near the AC and Vent fan where it would slowly leak into the vent and inside the roof and pup. So my plan is to pull the vent and the AC out of the roof and then use superstrut to take the sag out. after the AC was removed the roof has about an inch and a quarter sag to it.

then on to removing the fan. It was a clamp style so four screws and a putty knife and its out

you can see where the water was leaking into the pup here

Now its time to clean things up and order the parts new fan, new AC gasket, putty tape, Self leveling sealant, unistrut, L brackets, bolts, nuts, rubber washers and white paint for the unistrut

All cleaned up! A little dawn dish soap and a scrub brush. all the parts have come in now. I just need to get some time to install the unistrut and put it all back together. More to come!....
Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #2

Love threads like this. I'm gonna keep up with it even though it's not something I need to worry about at the moment. I just like the process. Good job.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Love threads like this. I'm gonna keep up with it even though it's not something I need to worry about at the moment. I just like the process. Good job.
Thanks hopefully it will turn out alright
Old 09-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Once the roof is repaired think about putting Eternabond on top of the seams.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Once the roof is repaired think about putting Eternabond on top of the seams.
Do you mean on the side seams under the molding? there is no center seam on this pup? I was just planning on re caulking the side seems as there are no leaks there. Or do you mean around the base flange of the vent?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

Good job...but unlike another poster...I think it is always something we have to worry...or be concerned about.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

more work

Okay so I tried my idea of building a T out of 2x4's and using a bottle jack to take out sag.(sorry the picture is sideways)

So I jacked it up with the roof down. When I get my unistrut cut to the right size I will set it on top of the T and jack it into place then I will drill the holes in the side roof boards ( I know not more holes!) to hold it against the roof

So here is what the unistrut looks like with the L bracket attached

And it seems as though it will work as you can see here with the temporary 2x4 jacked up into place. I am thinking I may put one brace in front of the AC and another one in behind it as well to keep the back from sagging
Old 09-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainh2o View Post
Do you mean on the side seams under the molding? there is no center seam on this pup? I was just planning on re caulking the side seems as there are no leaks there. Or do you mean around the base flange of the vent?
Around the flange of the vent. I don't think you could use it under the AC around the opening. They do have a double stick tape that may work. But you could ask Eternabond if they have something that will work. They have several different products.

https://www.eternabond.com/
Solution Center https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=256
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Good job...but unlike another poster...I think it is always something we have to worry...or be concerned about.
It this is reference to me all I was referring to was I am stored under a shed and my season is over for several months.

Wasn't bragging or being condescending.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

I had the same problem and did a similar fix. Instead of unistrut I used a sign post (think stop sign). It has a wider flange area where it contacts the roof and has holes along the bottom. Great for hanging stuff on.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

Great job fixing the roof. Looks fun.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #12

Installing the supports

Okay so tonight I put in my first support. Here is what the unistrut looks like painted and ready to be installed

so I turned the L brackets the other way with the bolt holding it up inside the strut instead of under. I had to do this so I wouldn't mess up my curtain track so nothing could be lower than 2 inches.Here it is installed in the pup. I used 3/8" bolts with rubber seal washers under a flat washer on the outside and locking washers and a nut on the inside.So its kinda hard to tell what is going on in this picture but the first rail you see is the track for the door, the second rail you see is for the shower curtain, the third is the unistrut.

So as you can see its not completely flat. It turned out about the same as my test with the 2x4 and took out 1 1/4" of the sag I am think this will be enough to keep the water from ponding on the top now.

Tomorrow I will put in the second brace behind the AC and then connect the two in the center and see where that leaves me? Thats all for tonight!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #13

roof sag bracing

So today I put the other two unistruts in here you can see all three

here are the bolts through the sides and into the L brackets tomorrow I will post pictures of it with the AC unit back in and I will see how much the roof sags then

thats all for today I will finish it up tomorrow
Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

Awesome thread, looking forward to see the ac unit in and if you limited the water pooling!

Question: After you installed all three braces did it close the gap more? I would of thought after the all three braces going in it would of pulled the roof tight completely taking the sag out!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #15

Sag or no Sag?

so I have the AC back in and done. I might add I bought my AC Gasket for the reinstall at Camping World and FYI thats all you get is the Gasket you don't get the little pads that I see everyone else says comes with the gasket. So the old gasket is very hard to get off but mineral sprits are your friend here! So here it is with all three braces in.

from another angle when I get done installing my new Fan-tasic vent I will get it out from under the carport and raise it up to get some better pictures of the inside.

So the final verdict did it take all the sag out? I would have to say no. It still has about an 1/8" of sag. Now I do not know what it was like when it was new I have no idea what it is suppose to be. I do know now that it will not longer have a big pool on the roof when it rains. Here is the final picture of the top with a broom stick in front of the AC unit as you can see still about an 1/8" still there. I will post a couple of final pictures when I get it out from under the carport and get it wet.Of course unless we have another hurricane and this one floods as well! I mean after all my first one I only for two weeks before it flooded hopefully this one last a little longer than that!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #16

Great job. You fixed it. There is always going to be a little sag. Thatís about what mine is. Nice!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #17

this skin roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
Great job. You fixed it. There is always going to be a little sag. That’s about what mine is. Nice!
Oh really that's good to know I didn't know if they were perfectly flat when they left the factory or not? It really is amazing that a roof made of 1x2's , foam and a thin aluminum sheet can hold anything up at all let alone a 70 pound AC unit bouncing down the road!
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #18

So here it is with the roof up as you can see with it painted white it just blends in with everything else going on up there already. Now we are almost ready to go camping!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #19

Very nice job....congrats
Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #20

Awesome!

Tags
freedom, repair, rockwood, roo, roof