Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Roof top basket

Has anyone put a cargo basket on top of there camper? Would love to see some ideas.
DAWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Look up FR "No Boundary "RVs! They have a Big Roof Rack! Just Don't use the Fenders for a Step! Even though they have Non Skid on the top of the fenders! Youroo! !
Old 09-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Our 1640 ESP has the Prorac rails on top... First trip out we had a couple bikes up on top, but my plan is to get a cargo basket... I'm eyeing up this one since it is aluminum and looks to be better made than the lower-priced aluminum ones I've found elsewhere:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-288-09200...nt=Roof_Basket
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1221 View Post
Our 1640 ESP has the Prorac rails on top... First trip out we had a couple bikes up on top, but my plan is to get a cargo basket... I'm eyeing up this one since it is aluminum and looks to be better made than the lower-priced aluminum ones I've found elsewhere:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-288-09200...nt=Roof_Basket
The rails are likely to far apart for that. I think when I measured they were at at 38" on mine. We used this one, ditched the cross bars and used lag bolts and alum pre-drilled strips to attach to the rails. https://goo.gl/tkueBe
dfazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfazzini View Post
The rails are likely to far apart for that. I think when I measured they were at at 38" on mine. We used this one, ditched the cross bars and used lag bolts and alum pre-drilled strips to attach to the rails. https://goo.gl/tkueBe
When we first got our pup, the rails were about 36" apart... However the dealer had to install a new roof due to some water damage after they installed the AC. For some reason they installed the rails at 24" apart on the new roof... Don't know why.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #6

We just bought a 1910 ESP with the roof rack. I haven’t looked in the owners manual yet for how much weight it can carry, I’m guessing not a lot. Does anyone have an estimate? I’m thinking as long as the roof is down it’s okay to have a load, not when it’s set up.
bundy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy71 View Post
We just bought a 1910 ESP with the roof rack. I haven’t looked in the owners manual yet for how much weight it can carry, I’m guessing not a lot. Does anyone have an estimate? I’m thinking as long as the roof is down it’s okay to have a load, not when it’s set up.
You'll want to keep the heavier items to the sides as much as possible. These bars are super long and bounce a lot compared to ones on your TV also the trailer moves around more.

I've had anything from 10 gal of gas and wood to a larger gas fire pit and bike up there without issues.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy71 View Post
Mine is rated at 150# according to FR literature.... But as stated, the rails are curved and bouncy going down the road so do try to keep loads towards the edges.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Mine is rated at 150# according to FR literature.... But as stated, the rails are curved and bouncy going down the road so do try to keep loads towards the edges.

Quote:
You'll want to keep the heavier items to the sides as much as possible. These bars are super long and bounce a lot compared to ones on your TV also the trailer moves around more.

I've had anything from 10 gal of gas and wood to a larger gas fire pit and bike up there without issues.

Thanks for the info! I’d like to use that at some point.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

Pay attention to the GVWR of the trailer and the capacity of the tires. Small campers typically have tires barely meeting the anticipated loaded weight of the trailer and its easy to overload them and, possibly the axle, with stuff on the roof. Check cold tire pressure daily.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Pay attention to the GVWR of the trailer and the capacity of the tires. Small campers typically have tires barely meeting the anticipated loaded weight of the trailer and its easy to overload them and, possibly the axle, with stuff on the roof. Check cold tire pressure daily.

-- Chuck

Thanks for the tip, I’ll make sure to check that.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #12

Photos

Here are photos of my setup. The tires on the ESB should not pose an issue as long as you don't go over the GVW total. The main thing with the baskets on popups is the lack of space in the trailer, not necessarily the lack of cargo weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181001_072921.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	187968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181001_072916.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	187969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181001_072935.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	187970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181001_072924.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	187971  
Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Here are photos of my setup. The tires on the ESB should not pose an issue as long as you don't go over the GVW total. The main thing with the baskets on popups is the lack of space in the trailer, not necessarily the lack of cargo weight.
Dfazzini, what are your thoughts on that basket? That looks like one I was looking at on Amazon but the reviews seemed to be mixed due to the plastic corners...
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Dfazzini, what are your thoughts on that basket? That looks like one I was looking at on Amazon but the reviews seemed to be mixed due to the plastic corners...
It's survived so far. It is plenty sturdy for placing stuff on it, but the structure comes from the alum slats crimped down, so the vertical force of tie downs aren't so go, so use your cross beams or use lag bolt hooks on the beams or the ends which are more stout.

Yea, the plastic seems hokey, but once put together, not to bad. You should not be putting a lot on there anyways due to the load capacity of the bars themselves anyways.

Have had it on there for 2 years now, carried some stuff 12+ trips, well over 50# without much issue. It does stay covered in a carport and cover in the winter.

Mine didn't some with the gutter towers, but am looking at this again now that they have them for my Jeep JKU for when I don't take the camper, but that would be the real test as that would more likely be offroading.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #15

Just for curiosity what's the tire capacity? Right on the sidewall at maximum cold pressure. We can get into what the trailer weighs later.

The trailer's GVWR has 10% to 15% of that supported by the tongue and tires can be rated less than that since tires only need to support 85% to 90% of the total weight of the trailer.

Overloads and under-inflation tend to blow tires. Best practice is to get new tires ever 4 years as old tires develop unseen structural damage just sitting there.

-- Chuck
Old 10-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Just for curiosity what's the tire capacity? Right on the sidewall at maximum cold pressure. We can get into what the trailer weighs later.

The trailer's GVWR has 10% to 15% of that supported by the tongue and tires can be rated less than that since tires only need to support 85% to 90% of the total weight of the trailer.

Overloads and under-inflation tend to blow tires. Best practice is to get new tires ever 4 years as old tires develop unseen structural damage just sitting there.

-- Chuck
2,040#, 75mph. The ESP has larger and better tires than the regular PUP's. This far exceeds the GVW of the trailer at 3,500# (for 2 tires). The total cargo capacity is just under 1k for the 1970esb.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #17

Just making sure you checked all the boxes. Easy to overload these and few ever weigh their trailer when loaded or check the actual tongue weight.

-- Chuck

Tags
roo, roof