Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Rv and camper show

The wife and just got back in from rv show in Greenville, south Carolina seen a lot of great campers, there were not many assesoriers dealers? ? We did not see any pups or a frames?? What's the deal??
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Team

We had similar results at the Georgia RV & Camper Show in Norcross, GA this weekend. Camping World had a couple of tent trailers, and I mean a tent in a trailer not a hard roof pop up, and another dealer had four Rockwood pop ups / A frames off in a far corner. The small booth vendors were pretty much a waste of time as the majority had nothing to do with RVing...

We're hoping the Atlanta Camping and RV Show coming up the 23rd through the 25th will be better. Peco Campers is attending and they are big on A-frames and pop ups so they should be interesting. Hopefully the small vendors will be more RV centric instead of insurance and snake oil sales folks...
Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

I love the snake oil comment, that is funny. But true.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Site Team

because the dealers don't make hardly anything on pups and prefer to manipulate buyers into bigger, more expensive RV's.

heck, out West, Hybrid trailers are rare as hen's teeth, even thought the weather out here is perfect for them. because dealers want to push the big RV's so they can make a bigger profit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

The Kansas City RV show is next weekend and when checking out the vendor line up listed on the Internet--the snake oil peddlers and home remodel companies seem to dominate. Also learned today that Camping World just east of KC will no longer sell the Sabre line. Wonder if anyone around here will pick up those models? Camping World decided to focus on Silverbacks.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Wow glad we didnt waste our time or money going to the Atlanta show. We had planned on going!!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #7

I went to the indy RV show yesterday ,Same thing lot of nice campers but not much accesiories or anything. Good way to kill a cold afternoon.
Good Boy Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
because the dealers don't make hardly anything on pups and prefer to manipulate buyers into bigger, more expensive RV's.

heck, out West, Hybrid trailers are rare as hen's teeth, even thought the weather out here is perfect for them. because dealers want to push the big RV's so they can make a bigger profit.
That seems to be correct here in the Pocatello area. I walk my Mals past Park-A-Way RV in Chubbuck ID a few times a week (it's a mile from the house) and they have NO popups or what appears to be hybrids. Down the road toward Pocatello there is Cross Roads RV and NO popups.

And yet, I purchased my current popup from a retailer in Denver who sold only popups and has a going business.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Site Team

I didn't particularly care that the dealers didn't have many A Frames, as we just looked at everything we could find in a 200 mile radius prior to buying our new one. And I understand the urge to show off the big toys at the shows as trade shows are an expensive proposition for the dealers.

At the shows we attended prior to our taking a break from RVing the majority of the vendors were selling mostly RV accessories or at least something directly related to RVs. That has basically reversed as now only a small minority were selling RV products. The North Atlanta show had a lot of the same snake oil vendors I saw at the motorcycle shows held at that location. And those vendors have nothing to do with motorcycles either... But it must work for them though as they keep showing up, I'll probably see some of them at the Model Train show this coming Saturday...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Weekend of Feb 28th is the Jacksonville, FL RV Show at the Equestrian Center on the west side of the city.
Nice show with a large spectrum of campers from pop ups/truck campers to expensive class A's...we attend every year to check out what's new...worth a look if you're in the area

Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #11

What we were looking for was being that we are knew to the camping world, we wanted see what things ( accessories) That are out there that would make our camping more enjoyable and fun, and let me decide if I need that bell or whistle.
When started looking for our pup, we did want purchase a knew truck. Prices and service were key factours as well. We looked as far as 4 hrs away and found nothing that we wanted to spend our money on. We ended up buying from Lakeside rv in Anderson south Carolina, 40 min from home freedom 1970, and we love it, we financed through our credit union@ 1.9 Apr.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #12

I have found out that the best rv shows are

the actual campgrounds in use for the summer.

At least, this applies for the lower end of the camper spectrum, being smaller TTs, popups, and A frames.

Most owners will willingly talk about how they like their camper, if you are courteous and ask them politely about it.

Since buying an A frame, I have been asked about how I like the A frame, and quite often.

That's ok, and I respond positively about it.

Some things go around, and come around and around.

Best insight that I got was not to attempt to pull the "maximum towing capacity", however rated or calculated. That turned out to be too much, and problems developed.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #13

Hi, Just came back from the Cleveland RV show. I saw at least 4 A frames and a lot of pups. The only thing yesterday was the last day. I thought it was a good show. Will be going to Pittsburgh next weekend but it will not be as big as Cleveland's.
welder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #14

Went to the Cleveland indoor RV show this past weekend. Tons of trailers all makes and models. It was interesting to actually speak with some of the factory reps and ask them..."What were you thinking?" You know when you did not put any electrical outlets near the counter tops? or next to the bed to plug in an alarm clock. Why do I have to crawl under my trailer to get to the grey or black value? They just give you the deer in a headlight look. priceless.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #15

It is sad to me that more RV dealers do not stock more pop ups. I get it is a money thing, but I also feel that a pop up is a great place for a new family to start out in. Kids love them and they have many advantages.

I guess everyone just has lots of extra money to spend. This is a big change from 30 to 40 years ago when people had to be more careful with their money.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #16

I agree with Vinmaker about the pop ups. They are easy to tow less wind resistance and the kids like them. We camped for years with our kids and had lots of fun.
welder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #17

Here's the thing about pop-ups that gets me (and don't get me wrong, my family used a pop-up for years when I was a kid, a 1967 Nimrod Crown Rivera that eventually was repurposed into a utility trailer when the canvas was no longer usable and the roof was cracked in too many places to keep fixing it, but we used the heck out of that camper.)

Pop-ups are great in that they're lighter, easier to tow, and compact into a smaller space to make it easier to store them, and their features have come light years in th 60-some years they've been around (the Nimrod was a tent on wheels with a table inside, that's it.) But when you look at the prices, it seems that you're really paying for that smallness, that lightness, that compactability. You can get a lot more camper, with more room inside and more features, for the same $, in a hard-sided trailer. So from that point, they're not the best bang for the buck. But if you need the lighter weight and small size, then they're for you, even if you're going to pay more for those attributes.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Toronto RV Show had lots of pop ups, full Rockwood represented, Flagstaff as well. Many other brands there and teardrop campers too. Saw some A Frames. A large selection of park models and double wide park home all setup too.
Accessories store had some supplier deals. I bought my new 4 kW Generator $1,000 off which is pretty good considering the CDN Dollar is worth .$.82 USD on exchange. Powerhouse was there, Dometic had full line, Several Hitch Manufacturers.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #19

Just came from the Indy and South Bend RV Shows. Indy was a pretty big show, but only had maybe 4 or 5 pups and I think a couple of A-frames.

South Bend was a pretty small show. They had 2 pups and an A-frame.

Lot's of MH's, Class C's and 27ft+ trailers and 5vrs. Not a lot in the under 26ft TT arena.

Lots of snake-oil salesmen (including the RV salesmen - )! I came to look at RVs. Why would I want to talk about keeping my house gutters clean or new windows for the house?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #20

Last year my wife and I decided to move up from tent camping, so we went to a our 1st Rv show to check out some pop up campers. We were surprised to see that not one dealer had brought one to the show. They did have some A frames. We asked about popups and all we got were brochures. So we went about studying them over, and eventually settled on used Rockwood 2318g, which we really love. Like others have said popups just don't make them a lot money, and when they bring them to a show they have set them up and tear them down. I guess it's just too much work for what they get back. At least this year we won't need to spend our money and time going to a RV show.

Tags
camper, show