RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Safety supports

Just picked up our 2021 rockwood freedom 2716F pop up. Tried the safety support on the lift post to the right of the door. Support was way too long. Called dealer and he wanted the measurement (51Ē) said he would have the correct supports shipped direct from manufacturer. Received them and they are the same length! Since the camper is closed and I donít want to open it just to try the support on different lift post, does anyone know if it would fit on one of the other lift posts? Probably should have originally tried another post but didnít.
Thanks!
Quatrocampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #2

I don't know what the correct length ones should be, but are you sure you had your roof fully raised?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #3

The roof was all the way up. Iíd say the support was more than 6 or 8 inches too long.
This is my first post on this forum and wish I knew if the photo will be attached for you to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7334DE3-4977-4EFE-9B8D-15C2340A0239.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	240588  
Old 10-05-2020, 04:49 AM   #4

Safety supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatrocampers View Post
The roof was all the way up. Iíd say the support was more than 6 or 8 inches too long.

This is my first post on this forum and wish I knew if the photo will be attached for you to see.

When you say the roof was all the way up, I have to ask. Did the door fit in the doorway? Also, our PUP had a red cable at one of the forward supports that gave a visual indication when the roof was up. If the cable had slack, the roof still needed to go up more.

FYI, our electric winch would get close, and we needed to finish raising it with the crank to get it the rest of the way up.

(Edit) Another thing to check, are you sliding the brace up under the lip of the box so the brace is touching the underside of the roof, and not the lip of the upper box?
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #5

The roof supports I had fit inside the roof itself and then rested on the lip of the lower box. My friend recently had an issue with his 2716HW but I was able to get the supports in with little issue. I'd reevaluate how high your roof is and the installation method you're using.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
So yep your pic attached and to me if your roof is fully raised and your door fits then those braces look to be too long. Yes the top angled end of mine do fit up inside the roof with the bottom flat end sits on the trailer box but no way from your pic could i get those extra 8" up inside mine. i guess if the company can't get you the right size you may had to cut a few inches off those.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #7

Roof was fully up. Door was on threshold and able to turn black clips above it to hold it in place. Red guide wire was very taut. Top couldn’t possibly go up more to accommodate the adds length of those braces.
We were camping with out neighbor and he’s our “go to handy man” and he even said no way will they fit up in there.
Taking it in next week for winterizing �� and will take braces with and let dealer figure out what’s wrong.
Just thought someone knew if there was more room for them to fit up in there on a different corner. I don’t see why that would be but you never know. Anyway next week I’ll find out the answer to this.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Roof was fully up. Door was on threshold and able to turn black clips above it to hold it in place. Red guide wire was very taut. Top couldnít possibly go up more to accommodate the adds length of those braces.
We were camping with out neighbor and heís our ďgo to handy manĒ and he even said no way will they fit up in there.
Taking it in next week for winterizing �� and will take braces with and let dealer figure out whatís wrong.
Just thought someone knew if there was more room for them to fit up in there on a different corner. I donít see why that would be but you never know. Anyway next week Iíll find out the answer to this.

Thanks everyone for your input.
All i can say is if the dealer can get those supports to work is then they are good at getting big stuff into real small boxes!
Old 10-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #9

I know right, campfire joe! I’ll post something the end of next week after they let me know what’s what with the safety supports. Sure hope they are wrong and I’m not! Not my first rodeo with a pop up. Have owned 2 previous pop ups but this one has a lot more bells and whistles than the others, a bigger learning curve for me.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
I know right, campfire joe! Iíll post something the end of next week after they let me know whatís what with the safety supports. Sure hope they are wrong and Iím not! Not my first rodeo with a pop up. Have owned 2 previous pop ups but this one has a lot more bells and whistles than the others, a bigger learning curve for me.
Ya if they were a little longer you could brace them on the ground.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #11

After reading these responses, apparently I have the opposite problem -- my supports are too short. (Rockwood 2514g) They fit OK but do not extend up into the roof at all; in fact when the roof is fully extended there's nothing holding them in place other than the canvas cover that velcros over the support. So sometimes they slip out of place. Not very confidence-inspiring. Maybe we should swap! (JK)
rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #12

Safety supports

They finally got it right!! After having 2 sets of safety supports sent that were the same length and too long they finally provided the correct length! So now all is good and can sleep knowing the roof wonít fall on us
Old 11-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

Looks like they sent you a Premier HW model safety support when you needed a Freedom model safety support.

Be happy that's all it was. Mine didn't fit on the first camper (on my second as a replacement) because the roof was not aligned and rear was lifting lower than front. Dealer aligned roof and then all was good at that time.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety