RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #1

Screwing hooks into camper ceiling

We have a Rockwood HW277 and was wondering if anyone has used these small mug hooks in their camper ceiling? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170516-000137.png
Views:	173
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	138059
jwt2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 AM   #2

No but I would try magnetic hooks first. They have some really strong inexpensive ones on Amazon
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:16 AM   #3

Bad idea! Youroo!!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

Id check the thickness on your ceiling. My rockwood came with a place to hang stuff. As long as the screws dont penetrate the roof you would be fine
soxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

It is definitely possible to fasten things to the inside or the roof (ceiling). Our unit came with hooks mounted in the ceiling for a canvas pantry, and I've seen clothing racks that can be purchased and mounted in pop ups as well. In our 228, the tracks for the door stowage are mounted into the ceiling. I have screwed into the roof of our popup. There are two keys to doing so. First, determine the thickness of the roof to keep the fasteners from penetrating the top and second, make sure that whatever you're supporting is not going to tear out of the roof sandwich. For example: I've used 4 screws to mount a 12" long clothes hanger rod to be used for shirts and light jackets. In short - work smart and don't overload!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I just hung a 1 1/2 lb chandelier from the mug hook. I talked my husband into doing it, but then started to worry about leaking. I was caught up in a Glamping moment! 😂
Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
<<snip>> Our unit came with hooks mounted in the ceiling for a canvas pantry, and I've seen clothing racks that can be purchased and mounted in pop ups as well. <<snip>> In short - work smart and don't overload!
Ditto on this great answer. If you want cup hooks, there are numerous places to attach them without screwing into the roof. The hanging pantries attach to loops fixed to the ceiling with thru bolts - the bolts are installed before the roof layer is applied to the plywood. You could create a cup holder that hangs from a pair of these, or you could add a board with cup hooks to the bottom of a folding pantry. There are also curtain rails in many locations and many have a wardrobe bar as well. If you drill a horizontal hole in the privacy curtain rail separating the bathroom from the living room and use "S" hooks, you could create cup holders without penetrating the roof, where one slip with the drill could ruin your day.

The roof sandwich may be vinyl/plywood/plastic, so a screw would hold better there than in the particle board walls, but the plywood is thin. I also suspect the plywood is "sheathing" grade - not "furniture" grade. So you could easily hit voids in the ply and have little to hold the screw. If you put a screw into the plywood, I'd strongly recommend using something like gorilla glue to make it hold better. Drill a tiny hole, use a toothpick to put glue into the hole and put some on the threads. Install the screw while the glue is wet. If you haven't used Gorilla glue, don't overdo it, because it's messy and expands...and it's very hard to clean it off.

One other option: You can through-bolt pretty much anything to the roof sidewall under the bag awning. The awning will protect it from leaking (and you can add a drop of caulk too), and the through bolts will give you the kind of strength to hold a heavy load...even pots and pans. I repaired the angle bracket that holds the bottom of my door for transport with through bolts. The screws stripped out and the substrate (seemed like particle board) couldn't hold even a much larger screw--even with glue. 3/16" stainless bolts did the job. If you use this method, plan carefully. Whatever bracket you install may interfere with the glass stove top or sink faucet hardware. But with some ingenuity, you could permanently install a base bracket and then add other bracketry and hooks that will hold quite heavy items. I haven't investigated fit, but something like this could be mounted with through bolts. Just be sure to use some larger washers on the outside to reinforce against the load and round headed bolts that won't chafe the back-side of the bag awning : https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ca...allpotrack.cfm

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

Sounds neat jwt2966! Send a photo!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_082541.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	138098
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

Really like that!!!
Don't know how you talked your Husband into letting you screw something in the ceiling, lol Mine would had said "Hell No"!

If for some reason it does not hold or your conscious get the better of ya try Command Performance. That is what we are using in our 5th and in the past in the R Pod. They work great.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

Tres chic indeed!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Why not use command strip hooks. I have them all over our camper supporting different weights.
mmmartin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #13

From the ceiling to hang a light fixture/chandelier?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #14

Depends on the weight. And yes on the ceiling.
mmmartin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Site Team

There is wiring in the ceiling and there is little standardization as to where these are run. You may think you missed a wire, because nothing stopped working, but the end of the hook may eventually wear through the insulation and cause a problem down the road. I would not use those hooks.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #16

Thanks! It's the only one we'll be putting in. I think it will be ok, but we shall see.

Tags
camper