RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Selling a popup

Hi all. I am selling my 2014 Flagstaff MAC 206ST popup and was wondering if it was a good idea to use RV Trader or just Craigslist? Seems like you have to deal with a lot of flakes on Craigslist.
Or should I do both?

Your insight is appreciated
OLDNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

List it in the this forums classified section.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Craigslist is OK if you use the right tactics.
  • Allow email reply only - Craigslist provides a "blind" email reply.
  • Don't give your address or phone - provide "city" only;
  • Be blunt about your terms - e.g. "no trades," "cash only," and so on;
  • Plenty of photos and full disclosure of any "issues" with the camper - no point attracting a buyer only to hit the buyer with a surprise at the demo;
  • MOST IMPORTANT: Meet at a BUSY neutral site like the parking lot of a 7-11 or similar.

After that, be prepared with all the right documents (title, etc.) and a pre-printed bill of sale that leaves blank spaces for the names of the parties, price, and date, but includes the VIN, stipulations (as-is-where-is), and so on.

In the case of a vehicle, know the law regarding towing a newly purchased, unregistered trailer, and under no circumstances allow the buy to drive away with your plate on the trailer.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Site Team

x2 on listing it here in the classifieds forum and also on Craigslist. One problem I had with selling house items on Craigslist is that someone would call to say they are on the way only to call back later with a lame excuse and asking for the item to be on hold for them. I quickly learn to say first person with cash in their hands will get it.

Just use common sense with whatever method(s) you decide upon. Avoid getting wrapped up in the excitement of selling it. Also be prepared for buyers to low ball your price. Figure out your bottom line and advertise it for a bit more (within reason).

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
x2 on listing it here in the classifieds forum and also on Craigslist. One problem I had with selling house items on Craigslist is that someone would call to say they are on the way only to call back later with a lame excuse and asking for the item to be on hold for them. I quickly learn to say first person with cash in their hands will get it.

Just use common sense with whatever method(s) you decide upon. Avoid getting wrapped up in the excitement of selling it. Also be prepared for buyers to low ball your price. Figure out your bottom line and advertise it for a bit more (within reason).

At least they have the courtesy to call back..

I sell hay on CL all the time, by appointment only. They have 10 minutes to show and if they don't the barn gets locked and I'm gone.

I've bought things from CL but I know what an item is worth going in. Thats all I offer and I can walk away, anytime. Do that with new and used cars and trucks too. Real good at walking out on a sale. No 'romance' for me. It's business. Bought my last Ford like that, an off lease vehicle. Knew what I was going to pay going in, let the drummer yack away and gave him my bottom line. He said no, I got up and headed for the door. Didn't make it. He agreed. Amazing what fortitude will do.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
At least they have the courtesy to call back..

I sell hay on CL all the time, by appointment only. They have 10 minutes to show and if they don't the barn gets locked and I'm gone.

I've bought things from CL but I know what an item is worth going in. Thats all I offer and I can walk away, anytime. Do that with new and used cars and trucks too. Real good at walking out on a sale. No 'romance' for me. It's business. Bought my last Ford like that, an off lease vehicle. Knew what I was going to pay going in, let the drummer yack away and gave him my bottom line. He said no, I got up and headed for the door. Didn't make it. He agreed. Amazing what fortitude will do.
They did call back (phone calls were hours apart) but never showed at all. I like your approach with CL (buying & selling).

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #7

Terrier, the 'trick' if you want to call it that is separating the finance from the romance.

I never romance anything material, just my wife. No matter how bad I want something. remaining aloof is the best way.

I've had them (potential customers) call me back (on hay) and get irate. I tell them I said 5pm and if you aren't there by 5:10, I'm gone. My time is important to me just as yours is.

One thing I've learned over the years, if they show up on time, they aren't there to kick the tires.

Works real good with vehicles because you get the salesman completely off guard.

When I bought my last RV, I called various dealers in the area and asked them for their best price, some said I'd have to come in, I scratched them off right away and the ones that were left, I price shopped and really got the best deal but I also looked at after the sale service (knowing what I know about FR quality).. Lucky for me (I guess), I've never had one issue with my unit in 2 years. I also let them finance the entire amount minus a small downpayment even though I could have paid cash.

One, I don't mind using other people's money and two, being retired from retail sales I know about the shall I say, under the counter cash flow between dealers and financial institutions, I wasn't born last night.... and why I'd never buy a third party extended warranty.

I went into the 'deal' knowing all the parameters and I also knew that Rule 53S applied to the loan (no prepayment penalty) so end of the year, it will be paid off and I got to use their money at an excellent rate.

Only two items worth financing over an extended time, thats land and real estate. All the rest are depreciating money drains.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

I have no evidence to backup this hunch, but I think meeting on neutral ground puts pressure on the buyer to show up as planned. If you're home, buyers may interpret that as flexible. If you have an appointment to meet at a gas station/convenience store, the onus is for them to be on time.

I also get a cell number and text a confirmation. If I get no reply to my text, the next text is, "If I don't hear from you and get a firm commitment on time, I will not be there." I've not had any trouble with 'no-shows.'

In the case of something like a camper, I'd leave it closed up and on the hitch until the buyer arrives and you sound out the buyer's interest. A setup demo would not commence if the prospect is just a casual gawker.

I recently sold an ATV/Utility trailer. The eventual buyers were friends, and they seemed to expect a brand new trailer for used prices. They complained that the tires on a 4 year old trailer had wear and wanted an additional discount. I sealed the deal by saying, "It's clear to me that you don't want the trailer. I'm going home." I had the truck engine running when they approached the driver's window and said they'd buy the trailer.

SidecarFlip is right. On an item like hay, time IS money. If you show up to sell a $50 to $500 item, estimate your time at $50/hour minimum, plus the cost of getting to and from the demo. On a car or other big-ticket item like my ATV trailer, I'm a bit more patient, but on, for example, a used air compressor, 5 or 10 minutes is all it's worth in my time to show it. And it's important to bear in mind that the potential buyer has a considerable investment in time and transportation to view the item, so you have the advantage.

I do not think there is a qualitative difference between buyer prospects in different advertising media. Craigslist shoppers are not inferior, more tardy, or less inclined to show up. It's up to the seller to be assertive and clear about expectations regarding buyer behavior. You can deliver the message very politely, but clearly, and a good way to do that is to say, "I have another appointment (XX) minutes after we meet, and I can't be late." That says all you need to say and at once demands that the buyer be on time and make a decision quickly.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

The neutral ground thing don't always work well. Read in the paper that some seller met a buyer in a store parking lot near here and the buyer wanted a test drive so he took the vehicle and never came back... Later on it was involved in a bank robbery. The seller lost his car and got no money. LE impounded the car and the seller had to bail the car out of impound.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

P.S. I don't EVER show or sell anything at home - EVER. I recently sold used kitchen cabinets from a renovation I did in my home. I loaded them into my truck and brought them to the Loaf-and-Jug.

The biggest hazard in selling anything via "classified" is that a few of the buyers are actually trolling to scope out your home for later burglary. Big ticket recreational items like campers, boats and similar toys are a great indication that you may have other valuable items worth stealing as well.

That's a paranoid view, but the behavior is well documented. That's why it's safer to meet on neutral ground that's also busy. The back corner of a Walmart parking lot is no protection from being robbed, but a busy gas station has lots of witnesses. And, again, there's no real difference between Craigslist and other advertising media when it comes to who is trolling those media looking for easy marks.

If you're selling a car or motorcycle -something that warrants a test drive - an added precaution is to take the buyer's keys and ID or a credit card as collateral before the buyer drives off. Also, insist on seeing their driver's license...no excuses.
It's also better to allow the purchaser to test drive solo. If you're in the car, you are vulnerable. If the prospective buyer can't grasp the importance of providing collateral before you hand over the keys to your car, then walk away. if you walk away, don't be foolish enough to drive straight home, either.
Go to the post office or another store, or just lock your car and go into the Loaf-and-Jug. Get the plate number, make and model of the buyer's car, and a description. Take a photo with your phone. Make it clear that the person's behavior is a problem and s/he's no longer anonymous. If the buyer seems legit, and if you're back in the parking lot with the guy's keys and some form of ID, you have car insurance to cover the rest of what might happen during the test drive.

I'm 6' 6" and 260 lbs. I've been an ironworker, farmer, builder, logger. I'm not too concerned or easily intimidated. But I also know that a 9MM is a great equalizer. There's no point in putting myself in a position where someone might choose to shoot. And a stranger peering into my garage and scoping out my house just to view my used pancake compressor is asking for trouble.

Finally, my bills of sale always feature a PO Box address...not a street address...and I use my cell phone number because it's harder to trace using things like Whitepages.com.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #11

Bought a fairly expensive PTO chipper on CL a few years ago, very hard to find, most people who have them don't sell them and the seller was over 100 miles away, so I called him and made an appointment to buy it (I had every intent on buying it for his asking price), hard to ruin a chipper not matter how stupid the owner can be...

So I made my appointment and was there a bit before the alloted time and paid cash. He told me if I hadn't showed up on time, he would have sold it as he had 4 other people waiting with cash as well. Moral of the story is, like I do, don't show on time, don't make a followup call, don't expect to be treated fairly.

Most folks are pretty straight up, however, there are a lot of tire kickers / low ballers and low life's on CL. I don't have an issue with them coming to the farm for hay in as much as I'm usually armed anyway either with a sidearm or a long gun, I carry a Ranch Rifle in the tractor when I farm for varmints and I don't hide that fact. People can be very respectful when they observe a firearm even holstered or in a tractor.

We have open carry in this state so your mileage may vary, depending on your locale.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

The only advice that I would share is to price the unit to sell. You don't need to give it away but in my local C/L there are RVs that seem to have been for sale for years. I can think of one 1994 pop-up that is priced at $3,000 and will never sell. People looking for used popups are going to know what the local prices are.

Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote