RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Set up and breakdown time

Just curious on getting some averages for set and breakdown time on your pop-ups.

I have a 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516g. The
Set up & breakdown time for me is between 1 & 1.5 hours.

Thatís me unhooking/ hooking up to the vehicle. Setting up the entire outside, including water hose, propane hose, electric, grill, chair, table mat and awning.

While wife is inside setting up the beds, fans, shower and hanging wardrobe/pantry. Then kids bring her all the linen, clothes, food and miscellaneous things that we brought.

Itís never a quick process for us and Iíve had the camper since 2016. Use to stress me the hell out, now I enjoy it (unless it rains)!
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

We had it down to 45 minutes average.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #3

Set up, take down time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartin453 View Post
Just curious on getting some averages for set and breakdown time on your pop-ups.

Thatís me unhooking/ hooking up to the vehicle. Setting up the entire outside, including water hose, propane hose, electric, grill, chair, table mat and awning.

While wife is inside setting up the beds, fans, shower and hanging wardrobe/pantry. Then kids bring her all the linen, clothes, food and miscellaneous things that we brought.

Itís never a quick process for us and Iíve had the camper since 2016. Use to stress me the hell out, now I enjoy it (unless it rains)!
1 x 1.5 is a reasonable time. Weíve learned to follow our sequence at a comfortable pace. When we deviate from the sequence, we increase the risk of mistakes...or disaster! Having been in manufacturing for over 40 years, I respect a proven process.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartin453 View Post

Set up for me, from pulling into the site to pouring our first IPA is around 30 minutes. Just the 2 of us, no kids. Once set up, I go inside to setup & make bed
whilst DH empties car and sets up outside chairs. Packing up however definitely takes longer, I would say 1 hour to 1&1/4 hour as I like to thoroughly clean inside and we brush off and dry the vinyl as best we can. We mostly only camp for 2 nights at a time so try to keep what we bring to a minimum. The night before we leave I try & put away as much as I can & keep the last morning breakfast simple. Once a year we go on a 4 night trip so packing up from that can take a little longer.
I agree with you, camping in a pop-up is definitely not as easy as you first think it's going to be, but once you accept that there's work involved and figure out a routine and order, it's all good and in my opinion better than sleeping in a tent!!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #5

Very similar here, Flagstaff 224D. 35-45 up, hour+ or so down. If we were setting up or tearing down in the rain we might be able to trim that 15 minutes either side. I'm always doing the outside my Mrs in.

Tearing down always takes longer cuz it's a little more meticulous --> folding, cleaning, wiping and tetrising the thing back closed. Plus who really is in a rush to go home? :^)
Grnsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

We are between 45 min and 1 hr
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

Too long. Haha. Seems like it takes me 2-3 hours. I just make the 11am checkout time.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
D W

All depends on what type of camping trip you're on and how much "stuff" you bring. Currently, we're fish camping at Chitina, AK for the dipnet season. We have a lot of gear, so when we limit out (35 fish), it will take us a few hours to pack-up and clean-up. On a normal leisure trip it takes us 45 minutes to an hour. We're never in hurry.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

So, the day before leaving or a couple of days before, I try to pack as much as possible, such as food, clothes, etc. Pretty similar for set up....about 45-60 minutes. Breakdown on departure morning seems to run about 90 minutes plus. I can't seem to shave that down, not that I have to.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2020: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

It takes us a little longer because we take our two cats (one is diabetic) with us (they are assigned the back seat but wind up piled up on DW's lap). I set up their seating the night before which takes all of 25 minutes. I also stage the spring bars and anti-sway bars after getting the hitch in place (we store it in a box in the covered bed). This saves time in the morning. In the morning the whole "Tetris Thang" (I like that term, Grnsl2) takes about 1.5 hours from start to finish and we're pulling out of the park. I know because I start at 0900 and we are "wheels up" at 1030.For an overnight stop it takes 45 minutes because there aren't any cleaning, awnings, throw rugs, packing, etc that accompany a 1 or 2 week stay at a campground. We definitely follow a sequence, basically the reverse order of the initial setup. It is done the same way every time so that nothing is missed or forgotten.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #11

Set up/Pack up time can vary Greatly if "People want to Help/Ask Questions/Give Advice"! Youroo!!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to PopupCamping
It takes me a little over an hour to either set it up or tear it down. I do it myself while my wife and daughter pack up the supplies into the truck or check out the campsite etc.

I'm always looking at ways to make things quicker, still pretty new at this so hope to get faster as we move on.

I wonder how popular popups would be if manufacturers could cut down the setup/takedown time to 15 minutes or so. I love being in our popup and think the setup/breakdown time and effort are the biggest downside. if not for that and cost, i think the popup format would be FAR more popular than it is.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #13

If I was just doing all the sheer basics of getting the thing open and end supports in, maybe half an hour at the most. It's putting an extra jack under the slide out for dinette, setting up the shade throwing the mat out by the door so we don't track a bunch of grass in, water, electric ...all of the other little things that kind of add to the overall time.

Some of that stuff doesn't matter what kind of trailer you have You're still doing it.

I'm with you though, push a button and let it all fold out and be ready would be perfect :-)
Grnsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopupCamping View Post
I wonder how popular popups would be if manufacturers could cut down the setup/takedown time to 15 minutes or so. I love being in our popup and think the setup/breakdown time and effort are the biggest downside. if not for that and cost, i think the popup format would be FAR more popular than it is.
That's what sold us on the A-frame vs a pop-up. We do miss the openness of the pop-up, but the A-frame does have windows on all 4 sides, even though only 2-3 sides open.

With the extra storage of the high wall models combined with the front trunk, we have refined our use of the storage to pack and organize everything we need into the A-frame; nothing has to be moved out of the aisle to setup. We have also minimized what we take, and continue to look at the stuff critically - if we don't use it, or have come up with a better solution, or don't foresee a use a normal trip, we stop bringing it. That makes a big difference in time used.

The A-frame itself completely sets up in less than 15 minutes (I'm not counting time to set up the picnic table awning or the Weber Q grill or stove and dish washing at the picnic table). Back in, level side to side with the orange Legos, chock, disconnect minivan, level the tongue, raise the roof, raise the sides, latch sides to roof, put stabs down, hook up electrical and gray water bucket, and we are done.

Compared to the pop-ups I have owned, the combination of ease of setup and storage in the garage have made the A-frame very practical and comfortable for weekend and one night camping trips.

Drawbacks compared to a pop-up are lack of interior space and not enough beds for kids and friends because the ends and sides don't slide out.

Ultimately, an A-frame is ideal for a couple who does a lot of short camping trips.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #15

We took our first weekend trip camping in my parents' driveway last weekend and it took me right around an hour to do the 'structural setup' of our HW296. That's leveling it, unhooking the truck, roof up, doors in, ends and dinette popped up, electric and water hooked up, etc. Then it took my wife another 1.5-2 hours to load everything into it, but that was our first trip with it so she was organizing as she went and setting up every little feature that we may or may not use on future trips like the bunk lights, hanging wardrobe, etc. Packing up and tearing down took a couple of hours as well but we're hoping to find some way to speed that process up in the future (never figured it out with our old pup but maybe there's a way...)
imp81318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
clr

I had a friend that we camped with often that had three daughters and a wife. He would disconnect the tow vehicle and then set a stop watch on the table and say GO.
I think that their record was about 2 and 1/2 minutes from GO.
They had made it a game of storts and all enjoyed it. But this time is far from what I have normally observed.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #17
Dixon's Last Resort

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
took me right around an hour to do the 'structural setup' of our HW296. That's leveling it, unhooking the truck, roof up, doors in, ends and dinette popped up, electric and water hooked up, etc. Then it took my wife another 1.5-2 hours to load everything into it
X2!

We run a bit longer in time due to the unloading of our atv's and THAT depends if I bring both machines......
....... And THAT depends on where we've got thing packed for access.... (my truck/front deck/wife's Ridgeline)

There's allot that goes into one of our trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laborday.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	231681  
cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopupCamping View Post
... I wonder how popular popups would be if manufacturers could cut down the setup/takedown time to 15 minutes or so. I love being in our popup and think the setup/breakdown time and effort are the biggest downside. if not for that and cost, i think the popup format would be FAR more popular than it is.
We camped in a pop-up for ~15 years. It's hard to imagine how they could make it faster. In addition to raising the roof and setting up the tent ends, a lot of the work is relocating the stuff you bring, since there's little storage space in a popup when it's closed, other than on the floor. None of that is avoidable.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #19

We just completed our family's first campout in our 2017 Flagstaff 625D. Other than orientation, we've not set it up or taken it down ourselves. Our setup time was about 1 hour. However, we took our time and at least 15 mins of that was getting it positioned close to hookups and level with blocks before stabilizing it.

Our take-down was much longer. Close to 1 hour 45 mins to be latched to the TV and ready to pull out. The reason is that we were in a heavily wooded area and we had rain our first two nights. So, we cleaned and thoroughly dried the canvas as we took it down. We also took some time to thoroughly clean / sanitize the inside as well. We then had to empty the potty cassette and grey water tank (portable) which is also included in our take down time.

So really, not terrible considering everything we did. I can see it being ~45 mins on either end if certain things were able to be cut out.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName View Post
... So, we cleaned and thoroughly dried the canvas as we took it down. ...
You may become less fastidious in time.

Seriously, the canvas being dry and relatively clean when you store it is important for longevity. Under some circumstances (like closing up in a downpour) it may be more convenient to open it up and air it out later at the storage location. The canvas being wet a day or two isn't a problem.