Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Sheared nut on manual lift

Hello folks! I'm new to the forum and have a question : can I purchase the nut and worm gear separately for the powerlift system on my 2009 rockwood 1904?
mikero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

Sorry can't help on your issue but Welcome to the forum. Great questions and usable answers here!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome!!
I'll post up what I'm able to find out.
mikero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #4

I have a 2013 Traverse Sequoia with the Carefree Lift system...probably the same as yours. I sheared the bolt on mine also...according to my dealer who is in another state and not convenient to take in to be fixed....they would have to replace the entire "lift motor mechanism" and cannot just replace the bolt. I have decided to try and fix it with some JB weld...not sure if it will work...I may drill some tiny holes in the bolt head and screw part that is still attached and then connect with some JB Weld...

Hopefully I will never need to use it again...I now carry Jumper cables in case the battery dies because of a blow fuse...which is what happened last time...I tried to raise the roof using the manual lift and a drill....drill sheared it off...
maccve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
Paul

HI all.
New to this forum and an overseas owner of a 2005 2318G.

I realise this is a pretty old thread but have been dealing with the electric winch assy myself the past week.

The basic design leaves a bit to be desired. The Electric motor is a poor design and the brushes are on the end of the armature. The motor assy is not sealed adequately and when I pulled my one apart it was literally full of rust and rubbish in the bottom end and was pretty much shorting out the armature.
Along with this is there is no end thrust capability in this motor so when the load comes on from the worm gear it forces the armature down against the brushes and in my case had worn through the brush wires.
And to top all this off the armature runs in bushes not bearings and there is no way to lube these up except for pulling the whole motor apart.

So when it seizes up you can't turn the motor and when you try to manually raise the roof the bolt is broken off the worm gear..(only a 1/4" bolt).
This is also why the fuse blows all the time.

When it is all operating correctly, using a battery drill as the driver on the bolt head works great.

You could get the bolt removed and fit another as they are tack welded only. But the bigger issue is the electric motor which probably caused it in the first place. And you just cannot buy these anymore, for this model of winch.

The new winches are different, but from the forum questions these are proving to be just as problematic.

Hope this info helps someone else.
Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual