RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

Sink drain very slow

we brought a 2017 Flagstaff popup camper and went camping this weekend. The kitchen sink drains very slow. Question the dome thing attached to the sink looks like a drain trap is it possible to take off and clean and put it back on. We had a few Mac and cheese noodles get by but it was slow before.

First ever trailer of any kind.

Thank you in advance.
Hoyt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

check the trap AFTER you bail the water out of the sink
Also since I am thinking this is the first time you have taken it out there is likely a garden hose sized cap blocking the sink outflow on the hardside that you need to open
bobdayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #3

BTW I have a hose to carry the gray water attachedClick image for larger version

Name:	1496195042117.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	139613 lots to learn as I had the same problem first time out
Click image for larger version

Name:	1496195042117.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	139613
bobdayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #4

Depends on your camper.

A high-wall has a conventionally plumbed sink with household style 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" j-trap drain plumbing. This can be disassembled and examined for blockages. Also note that it's known to come apart from vibration, so be sure to snug up the joints well and add some duct tape to keep them from coming apart. Check them before using the sink after every setup. If nothing obvious is blocking the lines, GENTLY use a plunger. There may be something downstream on the way to the small gray water holding tank. Also note that there is similar drain plumbing under the camper connecting to the gray water tank. Any point along the way could be plugged up, and any of these fittings can rattle apart unless they are properly glued.
Finally on this subject, verify that all hangers on the drain plumbing have the drain running "downhill." Any uphill section will fill with water and stop the flow. A broken "hangar" or similar issue might have a length of pipe running uphill somewhat. That's also why it's vital to level the camper.

If you have a double-bowl sink, does it drain better when one bowl is empty and more slowly when both are full? If so, the drain may be air-locked. There should be an "air gap" under the sink to allow air to chase the water down the drain...to avoid a suction from above that slows the flow. Call the dealer about this.

A "Low-Wall" (conventional) popup has a drain configured much like the one in bobdayjr's photo. It's little more than a flexible 1 1/4" hose from the drain to the outlet on the side of the camper shown in his photo. Aside from removing the cap and replacing it with a hose into a bucket, you should be able to flip over the sink, disconnect the drain hose, and examine it for blockages. Again, a GENTLE plunge may do the trick.

If you have this type of camper, a brass 90 degree elbow adapter for the drain outlet will prevent your short length of garden hose from kinking and slowing the flow. A 5 gallon "Homer" bucket or used drywall mud bucket is ideal for collecting sink water. In "formal" campgrounds, you can carry it to a toilet to dispose of it. When boondocking, you can tote it 50 to 100 feet from your site and water some trees (assuming the environment can absorb the water). Gray water is pretty innocuous...the soaps (surfactants) are actually beneficial, and the food contaminants can be minimized by using a paper towel to wipe out all food residue before washing dishes.

Lastly, your drains should be able to handle the flow of a wide open garden hose. I routinely flush my drains and holding tank by putting a garden hose into the drain of my outdoor-kitchen sink. The hose end has a brass "quick connect" with a 1/4-turn ball valve on it, and that restricts flow a tiny bit. That outdoor sink has a flex hose that ties into the main drain line. I can literally put the hose end into the sink drain and it will take all the water without the sink filling at all. When I de-winterize, I do the same on the inside double-bowl kitchen sink. No issues with flow.

If you can't achieve this kind of flow, something is wrong, and you may be wise to seek warranty repair.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #5

If the end of my draining hose is under grey water it slows it down.
Bhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

I don't know how your rig is set up but I had a Starcraft where the counter-mounted sink was hinged and flipped down for stowage. Due to this design the drain was a hose rather than hard plumbing. There was a check valve in the hose and it took nearly constant adjustment of the position of the hose to keep it draining during any trip.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

In my popup days, I had the same setup and issues as the OP. I added a tee to the outside facing vertically. The upper end connected to a piece of clear tubing I hid in the velcro flap which also aided in keeping it above the sink height. This acted as a vent. The lower part of the tee is where I hooked the drain hose. Less than ideal, but it helped.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Thank you all for your help. Finally got to open the popup camper after camping last weekend. Went out and undone the drain cap and added two pitchers of water to kitchen sink and pull the plug out
. Wow it flowed like a river. Must of had a kink in the hoses due to no hard plumbing. Crazy...

Again thank you all. It's a large learning curve apparently with travel and popup camper.

Dave
Hoyt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

I have never tried this in an RV,,, but when I worked Maintenance in apartments I always carried a small plunger for kitchen sinks,,, it often save me from taking drains apart !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #10

Sink drains slowly

Hi, my new 2017 1970ESP - has the same problem. The solution for *me* was to move the drain hose under the sink. I just wiggle it around and re-seat its position and it works like a charm. I too thought there was something in the drain. Hope this helps.

Bill
MuddaFadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #11

Tie a string to the hose about in the middle. Attach the other end to the hot faucet lever or other location with a loop. Just give it a pull and it drains just fine. When the sink is in the up position the hose is too long to make an effective trap. Also, we've rigged up a vent system using a PVC threaded connection to a Tee with 2 pipes.
dfazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #12

I also had this problem with my 2017, I ended up cutting about 3 inches of of the hose, I found it would fill up and if I put the galley down like if I was packing up the camper it would drain, after cutting it I have never had a problem with it again
Firefighterparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #13

Use PVC vent
happycamper361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

+1 on wiggle the drain hose.

In my new 205 I put the dinette table in stowed position but let it hang into the aisle just an inch or so, then swung the galley down so its bottom edge rested on the table. That left the bundle of drain hose etc accessible to where I could cut the zip tie around it and put a new one on, leaving the drain hose out of the bundle. Now whenever I put the galley in its working position I reach in the compartment under the sink and pull the excess hose up into the cabinet, making a sideways horseshoe shape. As long as there is no point where the draining water has to travel upward, it drains flawlessly, no vent needed, even with a seven foot piece of garden hose as drain extension outside.

I did add this to help prevent kinks in the extension.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0006M...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ScottfromLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #15

Ditto the post on taking the drain hose out of the bucket

If the drain hose end is under water, the how will drain very slowly. It needs an air gap between the end of the hose and a bucket.

Logically you would think it would drain if the sink is higher than the bucket but there is a valve and a vent in the line under the sink that can stop this from happening.

GOOD LUCK.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Summer2Go

I always had trouble with the grey water coming from the sink. I'm sure it needed a vent, but the biggest problem was no grey water could go on the ground. I rigged a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, and would have to dump it in the sewer. I tried to hook it up to the sewer with a sewer cap, but I couldn't get enough water force for it to travel that far. No more I finally have a trailer.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, sink